• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

COME ON ENGLAND! Hope the England band are refused entry again though, can't stand them. :D

My pre match talk & opinions on the England game:

Obviously this is a game that England really need to win if they want to advance to the next round, which doesn't fill you with confidence when you realise England have never beat Sweden in a competitive game. Sweden's main threat comes in Zlatan Ibrahimovic, a striker that (unlike Andy Carroll) has both great aerial ability and fantastic skill on the ball. Parker will need to work hard to cut out the supply to Ibrahimovic from Sweden's midfield maestro Kim Kalltsrom, a good passer of the ball who also posses a good tactical mind. Overall the Swede's have a pretty balanced squad, although in my opinion they are the weakest team in a hard group for England.

Hopefully the three lions will be able to get the result they need to progress to face most likely Croatia or Italy in the next round.

Walcott's goal was class, and as long as we don't lose to Ukraine we're in the last 8. ;D

Although I think we are horribly vulnerable, and didn't play that great - I really enjoyed the game.

You can't beat a 3-2, even if it's nervy.

:)

We were open to shots too easily, defending in clumps and overdramatic. But Hodgson's tactics equated to good football in the end to make England look like a team. We're going through I assure you all.

Very good win but I really do fear for our chances if we make the Quarters with the defending issues, even present against such a dire team like Sweden. Walcott to start against Ukraine though defnitely.

It was a very enjoyable game to watch and I'd say we deserved to win it. I thought Carroll and Terry both played well, and Johnson had a good game again despite making mistakes for both goals in my opinion. I was also impressed with Welbeck.

:)

I think Gerrard was our best player last night, he was everywhere on the pitch and his cross was amazing. Walcott's goal was admittedly a bit lucky but I'm not complaining. ;) But Welback's goal was superb. ;)

I think we will win against Ukraine because the main reason we were bad at defending was because Ibraminavic is massive and out players were scared to tackle him. ;)

Gerrard played well, but for me MOM has to go to Walcott. When he came on he totally changed the game and that goal was class.

My team for the game v Ukraine:

Hart

Terry Lescott Jagielka

Gerrard Parker

Walcott Young Cole

Welbeck Rooney

Attacking 3-5-2 with Cole moving up to LW, and Carroll dropped in place of Rooney.

No way in a million years he will go with 3 at the back! I am predicting...

Hart
Johnson - Terry - Lescott - Cole
Gerrard - Parker
Rooney
Walcott - Carroll - Welbeck​

Hodgson will no doubt want Rooney on the team with Welbeck and Young for the United bond they have. I can see Carroll being replaced for Rooney, although could be subbed on later on in the game should we need to score a lucky finishing header.

Why would Rooney be played as a attacking midfielder upon his return? I'd rest Carroll as he looked whacked and make use of the United players fluency together.

Hart
Johnson - Terry - Lescott - Cole
Chamberlain - Gerrard - Walcott
Young - Rooney - Welbeck

Rest Parker as he was a bit sloppy yesterday, as with Carroll as he was looking very tired and out of place towards the end. Should of been subbed instead of Welbeck to be honest.

The Psychoaster said:
No way in a million years he will go with 3 at the back!

Why shouldn't England play with 3 centre backs? It's not like we've got 2 good full backs and only 2 good centre backs? Cole is good going foward and infact used to play as a LW when he was younger, plus Johnson is, to put it nicely, sub standard.

Adz95 said:
The Psychoaster said:

Why shouldn't England play with 3 centre backs? It's not like we've got 2 good full backs and only 2 good centre backs? Cole is good going foward and infact used to play as a LW when he was younger, plus Johnson is, to put it nicely, sub standard.

I thought Johnson played quite well against Sweden, and whether Cole can play at LW or not he never does and Hodgson will never risk playing one of his most consistent defenders out of position in a major tournament.

As for Rooney, he should replace Young. He looked terrible against Sweden and constantly gave the ball away. Rooney would do the job Young does far better, retaining possession better and distribution the ball/taking chances better as well. You can't drop two strikers who scored good goals in the previous game.

The Psychoaster said:
Adz95 said:
The Psychoaster said:

I thought Johnson played quite well against Sweden, and whether Cole can play at LW or not he never does.

So what? Fabregas played as a central striker for Spain and scored. Regardless of whether or not Roy has the balls to experiment a more fluid and attacking formation, that is the line up I personally would select. On the basis that either Cole or Downing could play as LW, I'd much rather select an attacking left back that can dribble well, cross well and has bags of ability over a second rate left winger.

I'm still in awe over Welbecks goal. A piece of pure class that gave us the win.

I think Russia and Poland will win tonight, sending both teams through.

Czech Rep 2-1 Poland (Boring first half but the Greece game will motivate them for a game of football.

Greece 1-0 Russia (Prolly not gonna' happen but my heart can dream too, right)?

Czech 2 - 1 Poland

Not much to say apart from I think Czech will win

Greece 0 - 2 Russia

Russia are a lot better than Greece and I think they will at least win by two.