• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Michael Owen, on the pitch for 6 minutes on scores. Top signing for stoke, shame we lost AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Blaze said:
What does everyone think of the proposals for the Scottish leagues?

Pointless. Why not just have two leagues of about 20 teams?

Never seen the point in having small leagues, especially ones that split into more small leagues towards the end of the season.

Adam said:
Blaze said:

Never seen the point in having small leagues, especially ones that split into more small leagues towards the end of the season.

I would agree, is it they play each other four times over the season, I might be mistaken.

josht said:
Adam said:
Blaze said:

I would agree, is it they play each other four times over the season, I might be mistaken.

The entire league plays itself twice, then it splits into two leagues, with the teams in both half leagues playing each other again twice.

Adam said:
josht said:
Adam said:
Blaze said:

The entire league plays itself twice, then it splits into two leagues, with the teams in both half leagues playing each other again twice.
Actually, they play each other three times, with the league then splitting into two and each team in each league playing each other one more time. A team in 7th place can end up on more points than the team in 6th, but because the team in 7th is in the lower half, it can finish no higher than 7th.

Jonathan said:
Adam said:
josht said:
Adam said:
Blaze said:

Actually, they play each other three times, with the league then splitting into two and each team in each league playing each other one more time.

My mistake lol!

Stupidest way a professional league is organised in the world imo! With teams playing 3 times, that means some teams get 2 home games and only one away against another team. What a con! And the fact 7th can have more points than 6th is just pathetic. :p

I have my own proposal:

Instead of what they want to do, why not have 2 leagues of 24 teams? To me a country like Scotland is far too sparsely populated to have 4 professional leagues, so two would do good. Italy (And I think France) have similar structures. Also have it that the Non League and League are connected via the promotion/relegation (Like how League 2 and the conference are) instead of election. This is also something I want to see as well, but transfer Rangers and Celtic to the English football league system

Eddie said:
I have my own proposal:

Instead of what they want to do, why not have 2 leagues of 24 teams? To me a country like Scotland is far too sparsely populated to have 4 professional leagues, so two would do good. Italy (And I think France) have similar structures. Also have it that the Non League and League are connected via the promotion/relegation (Like how League 2 and the conference are) instead of election. This is also something I want to see as well, but transfer Rangers and Celtic to the English football league system

While I like the idea of them in English football, surely you don't think they should be allowed to enter at Football League level? That'd be cheating a team out of the FL place they earned, just like franchise:mk did to the dons. If they want to play in England they should start out non-league and earn their place like every other team (apart from MK) did. :)

They've tried it twice before abroad and it didn't work.

It's an interesting idea and could make it more competitive, but it's just a bit stupid, really.

Good on Bradford! If they win the final, I will go on the Flume, the Rapids, Battle Galleons and Ripsaw topless. :p