• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Jonathan said:
Gus Poyet's been sacked as manager of Brighton. Say what you like about the club, but frankly, it's been handled in an appalling way. He was handed a statement from the club by the BBC in a studio telling him that he'd been sacked. He had no communication from the club whatsoever. No text, no email, no phone call, nothing.

They've made a big mistake there. He was a great manager, and really got them playing fantastic passing football. I imagine he will go on to a bigger club.

To be fair, Pooyet was literally saying he wanted to leave in the press conference after the play-off semis, and looked like he wanted to leave... His email that was circulated after through the papers (if true) regarding both the poogate incident and the plastic clappers (he berated the club for using them, whilst they are awful things, you don't bite the hand that feeds you) led to his suspension...

Not turning up to the disciplinary hearing might well have been the last straw (indeed, is that not grounds in some contracts for instant dismissal?)...

Apparently Sven, Steve McClaren and Glenn Hoddle are interested... Brilliant...

Rumoured Tottenham kits for next season:

BN79LrXCAAIE-Wc.jpg

They look vile...

TedTheHuman said:
Rumoured Tottenham kits for next season:

BN79LrXCAAIE-Wc.jpg

They look vile...

The HP logo on the blue kit is absolutely huge! I don't imagine Spurs fans are going to be very happy with that.

Mohamed Al Fayed has sold Fulham to Shahid Khan - just in from the Guardian's Sport account on Twitter.

Jonathan said:
Mohamed Al Fayed has sold Fulham to Shahid Khan - just in from the Guardian's Sport account on Twitter.

I hope for the fan's sake the first thing he does is get rid of that god-awful Michael Jackson statue. :p

Anyway speaking of new chairman, Peter Swann has made a great start as ours. After having Steve Wharton slowly ruin the club in the past few years it's great that we've found someone with the dedication and vision to try and take us back to where we once was. It's been three years since I've had genuine optimism going into a new season. I'd even forgot how good it feels FFS! ;D

Also, the new mural looks amazing, saw it today and it really improves the look of the ground, plus it brings back plenty of good memories:

BO5zD4_CQAEbDnK.jpg

BO5-irCCYAA_hlF.jpg

All signed from Udinese and Granada...

How surprising that they are officially transferring players to get out of the shut loan loophole...

And how strange we didn't go into administration to get out of our debt twice in 10 years.

In my opinion what is happening now is less fair than what happened last season. The loan arrangement could have been set up between other clubs, it would have been difficult for them but still possible between other clubs in the league.

By closing the "loophole" the football league clubs have stopped themselves using the same tactic and forced watford into using a tactic that cannot be replicated. No club is going to just transfer their players over unless it is an identical situation to the Watford-Udinese.

They have truly cut off their nose to spite the face, the "loophole" was much fairer but hey ho, its not right to do so we are going to have to own the team ourselves.

Orlando parks said:
And how strange we didn't go into administration to get out of our debt twice in 10 years.

Nice to see how educated other team fans are on Palace's situation in 2010...

For future reference, please note that the club didn't put itself into admin to get out of debt, but a separate company (Agilo) were fearful of not getting money back, so hit the panic button, causing the adminstration and for them to receive pratically nothing as a result...

A completely different situation in comparison to Goldberg and his naiviety... Especially when the money Agilo had involved was £5 million tops...

Although of course now there's no need to actually worry about losing money because of being in the Premiership and getting a minimum of £120 million... Though my main question is certainly of confusion regarding the current status of the apparent transfer embargo...

As for the club situation, there are actually very few examples of any club getting preferential loan systems off another (though Darren Ferguson when at Peterborough getting Dad's cast-offs is a big example)... So really unless another club wanted to be owned by essentially the same company, then it was a big no-go for a high percentile of clubs... Indeed, it was quite clear that as it had never happened before or expected to have happened, there was no limit, which has been since shut after how ever many of the 72 FL clubs voted against it did so...

According to this Guardian article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/07/watford-foreign-loans-loophole) all clubs voted against it... So it's clear that no club wanted it to be such an advantage to anyone in the end...

In the end though, it'll still be a situation where if any of the players perform exceptionally well, they might end up being sent back to Italy or Spain... Or indeed the youngsters coming through Watford's own academy might be sent away as well... It's a very dodgy setup to believe in at any point of it...

Then again, that's Modern Football...

Benzin said:
According to this Guardian article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/07/watford-foreign-loans-loophole) all clubs voted against it... So it's clear that no club wanted it to be such an advantage to anyone in the end...
Including Watford, that's something that a lot of fans ignored. We voted for the loophole to be closed as well.

Thanks for the info on Crystal Palace in 2010, its sounds very similar to our situation in regard to the Russo Brothers around the same time. I therefore widthdraw that. It's a simple case of Watford finding a way to try and gain success. Watford fans would accept anything after the horrid situation with Bassini two years ago and we at now owned by owners that want us in the premier league, even possibly playing in Europe (not that I ever see that happening).

We are not living beyond our means and have found a sustainable model for hopefully success. It could all go wrong but I doubt it. Very little in modern football is fair as we at watford know from our past but in my opinion it is much fairer than the Man City, Chelsea models.