• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

The nominee of this year's BBC Sports Personality Helen Rollason Award has been announced. The award is given for 'outstanding achievement in the face of adversity'. It is to be awarded to the late Anne Williams, who fought for many years on behalf of her son Kevin and the 95 others who died in the Hillsborough disaster in 1989. The initial inquest in 1991 declared that 95 of those who died (the 96th, Tony Bland, ended up in a persistent vegetative state for some years, and had his life support switched off in 1993 after a lengthy legal battle which went to the House of Lords) were dead by 3:15pm, and couldn't have been saved. Anne disputed this, and she even refused to accept her son's death certificate from the coroner. As we all now know, Hillsborough was the victim of a hugely disgusting police cover-up, and the original inquest verdicts were quashed last year, with new ones ordered. Anne travelled down for the hearing at the High Court which quashed the original verdicts, despite being terminally ill with cancer. She died in April of this year at the age of 62.

If I'm honest, I'm not at all surprised at this. I think the BBC have made a great decision here. Anne fought for so long for justice for her son and the others who died on that day in 1989, and while she won't be here to see the fresh inquests, it's thanks to her work that these inquests will happen and that the families of those who died will finally see justice.

Just got back from Chelsea vs Palace. Awful, awful home support even when their team was winning 2-1. The place seem liked a library apart from the away end.

Palace fans were superb as usual. Didn't stop signing and I gotta give credit to Mourinho for applauding our fans at the end.

Another good note is that we are now above Fulham! If results go our way we could be out of the bottom 3 by Christmas. Bring on Newcastle on Saturday!

Olympiacos in the round of 16? I think I can settle for that. We've got a 100% record against them in the Champions League, so I'm hopeful we'll be able to go through to the quarters without too many issues.

AVB has been sacked as Tottenham manager...not surprised. Wished he stayed though so I can laugh at them some more.

Well with the news of Zola's resignation, it now means we will have a miraculous rise up the table, or slump like Wolves did, I'm praying for the former but can't see who they'd appoint which wouldn't annoy a large proportion of Watford supporters.

AVB sacked 16 games into a season, only a few points off the pace and with the best win % of any of their managers (sorry for #STATZ). Mental.

Blaze said:
AVB sacked 16 games into a season, only a few points off the pace and with the best win % of any of their managers (sorry for #STATZ). Mental.

As had been pointed out by some, the win percentage is partly skewed by the relatively easy wins they have had in the Europa League. I'm not surprised he's been sacked, he's spent a tonne of money on players that don't seem to be doing much. And their ability to score goals is poor. His time was up.

:)

Blaze said:

You've got a point, but there was £90 million spent on new players and no real improvement.

Spurs think they're brilliant because the won against a team that are bottom of the Russian league, a team from Moldova, and one who are currently in the 2nd tier of Norwegian football. And their new £26 million striker has scored more of his total goals by penalties...great side aren't they?

AVB is an intransigent moron. He did the same thing at Chelsea, exactly the same thing - played a high line with unsuitable defenders and was punished for it. The difference last season was he had Bale (no pun intended) to bail him out. This year he's got rid of a truly exceptional player and replaced him with a bunch of mediocre squad players, and he's reaping the rewards.

Did AVB buy the players, or Baldini on his 'behalf'? Seems like the team has about 28 midfielders, 2 strikers and 5 defenders... Not a great balance...

Still, 7th and still in the 3 cups? (#1stworldproblems) Don't really know what people were expecting of Spurs this year considering the current top 4 and Everton's relative resurgence... Especially given the loss of the star man (who became a real top class player under AVB)...

Can't help but wonder that old 'Arry's influence in the media has pushed this a fair bit...

Of course, I see that the BBC are once again going lowest common denominator, and stating that Holloway was sacked (wrong) because of money reasons (wrong)... Di Canio sacked because of a player revolt, Jol sacked for being rubbish, and the same for Clarke (although again, lacking the star man of last year)... The English media are so awful...

Palace win, Brighton Lose, and Millwall sack their manager.

Oh and were out of the relegation zone.

Bloody awesome day!

Tan has reached total megalomaniac level now. Would feel sorry for Cardiff fans but they weren't exactly complaining when he replaced the club's traditions with premier league football, so anything Tan does I honestly think they deserve for not taking a stand after he changed the kit colours.

Cardiff deserve it. Kinda feel sorry for Mackay as he was sacked unfairly, but the fans deserved it because they sold out for premier league football.