• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Loving watching Ipswich slowly fall apart at the moment.

Norwich are currently top of the Championship. Could drop to 2nd if Swansea win both of their games in hand over us. But it's looking a lot better now that our main players are back from injuries

DohNBaHW0AASqDH.jpg

I think this expresses my views on the matter.

Gutted Chelsea supporter here. Football is about the fans, sounds cliched buts it's true. It's traditionally a working class sport that's accessible to everyone in the world.

We've been completely s**t on here from an almighty height.

I go to football for the escapism, to have a few drinks, and to proudly follow the club to all sorts of towns/cities across the UK and Europe.

Would genuinely rather we got relegated to League 2 than have to compete in this farce. I hate every single thing about it.

The fact that those Tottenham idiots are in it speaks volumes. They haven't won anything in years but theyre rich and marketable.

A sad day for football in this country. Hopefully the UK supporters kick up a right fuss and completely refuse to attend any matches so the global audience can see the contempt for it all and it eventually fizzles out.

Gutted Chelsea supporter here. Football is about the fans, sounds cliched buts it's true. It's traditionally a working class sport that's accessible to everyone in the world.

We've been completely s**t on here from an almighty height.

I go to football for the escapism, to have a few drinks, and to proudly follow the club to all sorts of towns/cities across the UK and Europe.

Would genuinely rather we got relegated to League 2 than have to compete in this farce. I hate every single thing about it.

The fact that those Tottenham idiots are in it speaks volumes. They haven't won anything in years but theyre rich and marketable.

A sad day for football in this country. Hopefully the UK supporters kick up a right fuss and completely refuse to attend any matches so the global audience can see the contempt for it all and it eventually fizzles out.
Forgive my ignorance but how is this much different to how the Premier League was formed?

So called “leading” clubs, however two of them are sitting 7th and 9th. I don’t like to joke because this has me fuming... but I think us winning the league in 2016 may have had something to do with this:oops::sweatsmile:

Forgive my ignorance but how is this much different to how the Premier League was formed?
This has no relegation for a start and members only get invited on “achievements” (Money) over a season. So many things about this make the premier league seem perfect and I never thought that was possible until today.

I reckon this is all about bargaining for more money from the footballing bodies like the Premier League and Uefa etc. The so called Big 6 are not happy with their proportion of Prem or Champions League TV money so are trying to hold them to ransom. I would personally call their bluff and just let them go. How many top players will want to stay playing for these clubs when you're banned from playing for your country and have to hop on a plane around Europe every few days or whatever it'll be. The shine would quickly wear off I reckon and the remaining clubs in the Prem would have a more open competition. That's my opinion anyway. What will probably happen is the authorities will give in and give the bigger clubs a bigger slice of TV money to keep the status quo.

So if these six clubs join this European Super League, can I assume that they will not play in the Premier League and there will be more promotions than relegations for a year to make the leagues the correct size again?

This is greedy protectionism of the worst kind, the rich forming a closed shop to stop the lower clubs progressing.
Blackburn Rovers started the threat with Jack Walkers fat wallet.
Leicester did the same a couple of decades later.
How dare such clubs win the Premiership.
The biggest clubs want to make sure there is no repeat.
Chase the money, stuff the supporters.
I can't express what I really want to say...Corner Coffee not Tavern!
Can't see it happening, there are an awful lot of football fans in positions of power to put a spanner in the works.

Last edited:
I find it particularly galling that the clubs state they are “prepared” to keep playing in the domestic leagues. As if this is some kind of massive benevolent gesture on their part.
Let them but relegate them to the bottom tier. Imagine playing Barcelona midweek and then away at Weston Supermare at the weekend. Strip them of their titles. Make a ruling to state upon entry to the professional leagues - EFL league 2 - no club can be part of another competition apart from those ratified by the EFL/EPL.

I don’t think it would stop the clubs entering the super league because money talks but at least it will cut off the more income to the clubs.
Personally I don’t think players will enjoy the super league, but they will enjoy the money.

Liverpool fan here by the way

FA Cup 2021 finalists, get in! No club has been in more FA Cup finals and not won it than Leicester City, changing that this year would be incredible. And with 21,000 fans expected to be attendence I am hoping that I can get a ticket!

I'll post my thoughts on the cry babies league later.

Seeing the big clubs squirm as the equal TV money in the PL is having an effect is what has led to this. Can't just bully clubs into selling their best players anymore. And even when you do you end up paying £80m for them.

They can go. I hope the FA have the balls to fulfil any threats they've given. Otherwise they'll look weak and pathetic as always.

It's a disgusting idea, but if it meant we'd become league winners in 1991 I'd be tempted to support it tbh

Right, so, the cry baby not so super super league.

First of all I must apologise on behalf of Leicester City Football Club to the whole of football. In 2016 we did the impossible, we beat the elite and won the Premier League. It was glorious for us, I will never forget the memories made from that season. But the so called big clubs HATED what we did. How dare little Leicester City, who had almost been relegated the season before, win the biggest league in football? How dare we automatically become a top seed for the next season's Champions League. And then how dare we become the only English team to reach the quarter finals of the Champions League that saeson!!

The likes of the Glazers despise the fact that it is still possible for a club like Leicester to come along and do well. Just look at the Premier League table at the moment. We are 3rd, West Ham are 4th. The so called big clubs want to make sure this cannot happen.

So they want to breakaway and form their own European league whereby they, the founding members, govern that league. They can never get relegated. They will receive huge amounts of prize money irrespective of their performance. All they want is big glamour games for TV week in week out, with no real compeition and no chance for the underdog to come along and live their own dream.

Then do not get me started on how the likes of Tottenham and Arsenal feel so entitiled. When did Tottenham last win a major trophy? And Arsenal have suffered years of demise on the pitch. It's no wonder their owners jumped at the chance of being in a league where it doesn't matter if they end up near the bottom.

One of the dreams for fans of clubs like Leicester is finishing in the top 6, or even the top 4, and qualifying for Europe. Our Champions League adventure was oh so memorable. Going to Bruges, Copenhagen, Porto, Seville and Madrid. Hearing that famous music before each game. Immense. If you take this dream away then what is the point in competing? Why should our brilliant owners bother to invest in expanding our stadium and improving facilities if there is no prospect progression?

Everton are building an incredible new stadium with the hope of playing Champions League football in it. If this league happens then they must be wondering if it is worth it.

Apparently the owners of these so called big clubs see the actual fans of these clubs who follow their teams up and down the country every week as 'legacy fans'. And they want to appeal to the fan of the future who just wants to see the best playing against each other every week. What an insult that is!

I'm not yet convincied that it will happen. But the fact that these clubs have announced that they have joined the league is enough for immediate sanctions in my opinion. UEFA and FIFA need to stay strong on this. I worry they will not. But if players are banned from competing at international level then that you have big ramifications. Many players take great pride in represting their nations. I do not think they would want this taking away.

I could go on, but I'll stop now.

Good to see Wrexham are taking a stand, you tell 'em Mac :D

Seriously though its grim and hopefully a ploy to get Football TV rights away from BT/SKY/Amazon and bring it all in-house. All 6 clubs should be fined heavily for bringing the game into disrepute and if this was to go ahead, kicked out the league with the provision that if they re-join, its at the bottom of the pyramid. That way when one of them finishes bottom of the "Super league" they can't come back begging to join EPL.

I think somehow Gary Neville's thoughts sum up how most people feel on this :eek: