• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Forbidden Valley: Future Changes?

If I'm correct they did submit planning applications for a new café within Forbidden Valley, didn't they? For all we know, this black building could be it!
No, they have also applied to redevelop the former Ripsaw Café into a retail location. There's no plan for a new Café in FV.

This application was submitted at the same time and is very clear that The Edge will continue to be used as an arcade. If I'm honest, the "ride and operator cabin" reference entirely looks like it's in a paragraph copied and pasted from another application.

No, they have also applied to redevelop the former Ripsaw Café into a retail location. There's no plan for a new Café in FV.

This application was submitted at the same time and is very clear that The Edge will continue to be used as an arcade. If I'm honest, the "ride and operator cabin" reference entirely looks like it's in a paragraph copied and pasted from another application.
Fair enough! Just hope it's good!

I wouldn't look to much into the new proposed height. It seems to be a modern way to build now. They built a new petrol station near me and it's huge and the height just houses fresh air 😂

Surely an increase in height indicates a ride system could be housed there in the future. And obviously the reference to rides + operators booth only enforces that more! Exiting times ahead. Sub Terra, Nemesis, Galactica and an additional flat or two would really make this the standout area in the park again.

Could it be a “booth” for the person taking care of the machines?

Having had a quick look at the application, the "rides and operator’s booth" reference does appear to be a typo as the rest of the application does make it clear tha the new building is for the same function as the existing building.

The new building does not appear to be the most attractive on the face of it, but hopefully whatever themed finishes they go for do make it a bit more interesting.

Wish they just get rid of all these “indoor arcade units” and not refurb them, they will never be world class establishments in a theme park. They can dot a few of the small grabbers around, but do we honesty really need several, small, basic arcades you can see on any high street?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a massive fan of them either, but alongside things like the HB Leisure games they must make enough money and draw enough people to justify their retention. Even Europa-Park has a couple of indoor arcades!

I remember when I went on a couple of school trips to theme parks, loads of people in our group were seemingly more interested in the arcades than the rides.

Wish they just get rid of all these “indoor arcade units” and not refurb them, they will never be world class establishments in a theme park. They can dot a few of the small grabbers around, but do we honesty really need several, small, basic arcades you can see on any high street?

Indoor arcade units offer an all weather alternative; whether that benefits the 'bag holders'/non-riders of the group, allows people somewhere to escape poor weather (and spend money) or just something else to do aside from rides, I think they absolutely have a place at the parks :)

They've rescued me from boredom when I've been waiting off-ride with my youngest whilst hubby & eldest ride something he's too small for 😂

What high street do you go to that is filled with arcades? I've not seen any that are suitable for under 18s (ie not just gambling machines). For me arcades are a normal part of theme parks, seasides and piers. Generally at AT they are less intrusive than the sideshow games.

In peak season, arcades around the resort are taking in close to £100,000 a week - with Games Bunker, and Splash Landings arcade being the biggest takers. Combined with the games around the park (with some taking about £2,000 a day), HB Leisure is a money maker for Merlin.

I don't know why they're refurbing Edge though, that barely makes any money. It would have been better to knock it down.

Last edited:
I don’t mind the arcades, none of them detract from the themes of the areas and they’re all enclosed. I actually think one would work on Towers Street, maybe alongside an indoor soft play.

I don’t mind the arcades, none of them detract from the themes of the areas and they’re all enclosed. I actually think one would work on Towers Street, maybe alongside an indoor soft play.
Don't think an arcade on Towers St would get enough footfall to be worthwhile and there already is a large one round the corner in Muntiny Bay. However there should be more play areas both indoor and outdoor across the whole park. Forbidden Valley could really do with a play area so those who are too small to go on the rides have something to do while their older siblings are riding. The area next to the Galactica gate would be a good space.

In peak season, arcades around the resort are taking in close to £100,000 a week - with Games Bunker, and Splash Landings arcade being the biggest takers. Combined with the games around the park (with some taking about £2,000 a day), HB Leisure is a money maker for Merlin.

I don't know why they're refurbing Edge though, that barely makes any money. It would have been better to knock it down.
I suspect that is why they are knocking it down and rebuilding. I would assume that the current structure limits the choice of what cabinets they can have in The Edge, with the Portakabins limiting both the height and weight of what can be installed.

The new plans will allow them to have more diversity in what The Edge can offer, which I'd guess they are projecting will draw in more guests and therefore increase the amount of money made.