• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Furius Baco - The Debate

Benzin

TS Member
Enter Valhalla said:
To be fair I think the chances are that he's right. Every single time I've been to PA I've seen staff conducting visitor surveys so nobody can accuse PA of not listenning to their guests.

They are very shocked though when you turn around and state "I'll give Baco a 1, because you don't have 0 on your scale"...

Baco is the only ride I've ever been on where I simply cannot understand why anybody likes it. Even with other rides I hate, I can just about see why someone else might like it. But Baco? Nope. I cannot logically process it. Does not compute.

Sam said:
Baco is the only ride I've ever been on where I simply cannot understand why anybody likes it. Even with other rides I hate, I can just about see why someone else might like it. But Baco? Nope. I cannot logically process it. Does not compute.

I find baco a Marmite ride, its either loved or hated. I love it personally, yeah its rough as hell, and i knew it was rough from what i had heard and even i was shocked at how rough it was. But the launch for me was the best thing ive done on a ride , ever, its one of few things which genuinely scared me and once i realised how much you had to brace i actually started to enjoy it.

It can't be any better than Stealth's launch though, surely? Stealth is nearly as fast, the launch acceleration G-Force is 1.9 and it's smoother too.

I did find that abit odd - i went on it expecting it to be the same as stealths pretty much but i found Bacos launch a hell of a lot more powerfull - maybe its the more exposed seating position not to sure!

Baco's launch doesn't feel anywhere near as powerful as Rita or Stealth's, and you can mathematically/scientifically prove that it isn't. I don't know why people keep claiming that it is.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Furius Baco's acceleration G-Force is only 1.1, so 0.8 less than Stealth. Rita's is apparently 1.1G too.

Sam said:

Well I've ridden Furius Baco with 6 different people on different trips to PA over the years and 5 out of those 6 have loved it. And when I say loved, I don't just mean they've said it's good, I mean they've said it's amazing.

Almost everything about the ride is great and keeps me coming back. I love the constant acceleration, the intensity, the theming, the pre-show, even the ride's music is amazing. It's easily my favourite launch coaster in the world ahead of Stealth, Rita and of course Blue Fire.

And the argument that its launch isn't as powerful as Stealth's is irrelevant. It feels incredibly fast and intense throughout the ride, and if you enjoy it then you enjoy it. Why should you need to prove why you do? I never like it when people try to argue that Baco or Stampida aren't good rides based on numbers, polls or statistics. If you enjoy the ride, why shouldn't you just cause it's got a slower launch than Stealth or because it's not rated as highly? Enjoyment is down to personal taste surely.

I really do think that for every person in the world who hates Baco there are at least 2 people who love it, proobably alot, lot more.

simps100 said:
Sam said:

I find baco a Marmite ride, its either loved or hated. I love it personally, yeah its rough as hell, and i knew it was rough from what i had heard and even i was shocked at how rough it was. But the launch for me was the best thing ive done on a ride , ever, its one of few things which genuinely scared me and once i realised how much you had to brace i actually started to enjoy it.

You need to get yourself on Kingda Ka! Getting to 128mph but in the same amount of time as Baco takes to get to 84mph is a hell of a lot better!

:)

Enter Valhalla said:
Sam said:

Well I've ridden Furius Baco with 6 different people on different trips to PA over the years and 5 out of those 6 have loved it. And when I say loved, I don't just mean they've said it's good, I mean they've said it's amazing.

Almost everything about the ride is great and keeps me coming back. I love the constant acceleration, the intensity, the theming, the pre-show, even the ride's music is amazing. It's easily my favourite launch coaster in the world ahead of Stealth, Rita and of course Blue Fire.

And the argument that its launch isn't as powerful as Stealth's is irrelevant. It feels incredibly fast and intense throughout the ride, and if you enjoy it then you enjoy it. Why should you need to prove why you do? I never like it when people try to argue that Baco or Stampida aren't good rides based on numbers, polls or statistics. If you enjoy the ride, why shouldn't you just cause it's got a slower launch than Stealth or because it's not rated as highly? Enjoyment is down to personal taste surely.

I really do think that for every person in the world who hates Baco there are at least 2 people who love it, proobably alot, lot more.

I'm with you! I LOVE Baco and I too have ridden Rita and Stealth as well. After riding Baco I was actually disappointed with Stealths launch. Baco has a fantastic setting, theme, music, pre-show and Baco is one of the only attractions thar scares me every time. Waiting for that launch with the bloody monkey is terrifying.

I find it really odd how some people think the launch is much more intense than Stealth when other people are saying it's barely on par with Rita. I found myself in the latter group - the pure numbers suggest I'm right, but it's clearly more subjective than that.

Regardless of how the launch ranks compared with other accelerators though there's a lot to like about the ride right up until the end of the launch track but after that point I genuinely found it dull. Obviously it's fast, but speed purely for the sake of it isn't really that exciting. It's the same reason I don't like rides like PMBO and Millenium Force - both very fast coasters that don't actually do anything exciting with their high speed.

I've only ridden Baco once (that is enough for a lifetime) and found it very boring, rough and uncomfortable.

Maybe I'm biased because I've never liked launched coasters. Although admittedly I did ride Rita back row this Scarefest and was quite taken by the intensity of the launch (I can never recall a feeling like that on Rita in the past) - almost redeemed the low views I have of launch rides.

Enter Valhalla said:
Sam said:

I rarely see people argue against Baco like that, mainly using the point that it is, a god-awful creation...

I would say there are fewer people who like Baco than hate it... It's pretty clear throughout the ride community...

Ride community? And what percentage of PortAventura's visitors are enthusiasts? Probably less than 5%, if that. It's a popular ride with the public and many enthusiasts like it too, admittedly not on this forum, but read Pleasure Beach Experience forum and you'll see the majority of members on there think of Baco very differently.

It's all subjective and down to personal opinion. I think it's extremely unfair when people voice negative opinions of the ride as thouh they're facts. I've never claimed that Baco is the best ride in the world but for me it's the one which I enjoy the most and I don't understand why those who dislike the ride can't just accept that it's a ride which divides opinion. Like I ssay, everyone who I've ridden it with has enjoyed it, enthusiasts or otherwise and 5 out of those 6 people have adored it. Not only that, whenever I talk to people who've ridden it they all speak favourably of it, it just seems to be some of the forums that hate it. I don't find it boring and love the intensity of the layout. Yes its pretty rattley but I've been on much rougher coasters and surely a coaster being rough shouldn't be grounds to hate it otherwise The Ultimate would be the most hated coaster in the world.

I'd pick a ride on Baco over Stealth, Blue Fire, Rita or Velocity.

Enter Valhalla said:
Ride community? And what percentage of PortAventura's visitors are enthusiasts? Probably less than 5%, if that. It's a popular ride with the public and many enthusiasts like it too, admittedly not on this forum, but read Pleasure Beach Experience forum and you'll see the majority of members on there think of Baco very differently.

It's all subjective and down to personal opinion. I think it's extremely unfair when people voice negative opinions of the ride as thouh they're facts. I've never claimed that Baco is the best ride in the world but for me it's the one which I enjoy the most and I don't understand why those who dislike the ride can't just accept that it's a ride which divides opinion. Like I ssay, everyone who I've ridden it with has enjoyed it, enthusiasts or otherwise and 5 out of those 6 people have adored it. Not only that, whenever I talk to people who've ridden it they all speak favourably of it, it just seems to be some of the forums that hate it. I don't find it boring and love the intensity of the layout. Yes its pretty rattley but I've been on much rougher coasters and surely a coaster being rough shouldn't be grounds to hate it otherwise The Ultimate would be the most hated coaster in the world.

You're basing a wide opinion on the ride based on the people YOU'VE ridden it with though... The person I rode it with nearly burst into tears when I chose to ride on the back (he had ridden it before) for my first time, but we were moved (thankfully)... Group opinions can be quite different, as me and people I rode Bakken's Tornado with hated it, yet loads of others loved it (for some confusing reason, hey look it's a similar situation to this)...

Most ride forums have those who like Baco in the minority (PBE must be an exception to this rule, but I don't visit it, probably in a similar vein to TPR really)... Baco itself is a constant case, purely because a good ride is incredibly specific to get... You need to ride inside seat on row A at 12:23pm on a Friday at 18C... That you need to aim for a specific seat or row for me automatically prevents it from being any good...

I think I can count just around 10 (tops) enthusiasts I know personally who actually like Baco... Your opinion that people on here are being unfair to Baco for claiming (or, having their own opinion as you even say) to be crap because it's rattly beyond an acceptable level of roughness, with an extremely uninspiring layout (a figure of 8 and an inline doesn't scream excellent) is a bit weird... From my personal stand-point I can easily point towards that the design of Baco was always onto a tricky situation as proven by the B&M Wing-Riders not having as much wobble (but it still exists because physics)...

You state Ultimate as an example of another rough coaster, but it's a different kettle of fish to Baco in that it does in a rather weird way have some enjoyment to it... T'Ultimate lulls you into a false sense of security with an extremely poor first half, which makes the second half even more unexpected and thrilling... Wild and out-of-control doesn't mean roughness, which is where Ultimate lands on the scale, where as the vibration caused by Baco and it's design make it different and instantly dislikeable...

People DO realise it divides some opinion, but that shouldn't stop people hating it if they so wish... I mean, good for you for liking it and all, but if you can have your opinion on it being good (to which I would say most agree with everything BUT the actual ride is good), we can all have our opinion on it being one of the worst rides in the world...

Enter Valhalla said:

I think that goes without saying! However Blue Fire? That ride is the very essence and definition of brilliant modern ride design and engineering from the track itself right down to the seat and car design. It doesn't even come close when comparing it to those three other I'm afraid :)

LiamC said:
Enter Valhalla said:

I think that goes without saying! However Blue Fire? That ride is the very essence and definition of brilliant modern ride design and engineering from the track itself right down to the seat and car design. It doesn't even come close when comparing it to those three other I'm afraid :)

Again, in your opinion. I enjoy Blue Fire but I'd put Baco ahead of it based on ride experience, intensity, speed and theming.

I find Baco, in the same way as The Ultimate, to be a fast, wild, intense and out of control ride which is why I love it. Whatever the general consensus of the ride is, I could keep re-riding it all day, yes I'd probably have a bit of a headache and soar shoulders but that tends to wear off pretty quickly.

In terms of the non enthusiast public, it's hard to say what the genral consensus of the ride is, however on my recent visit, when the park was dead, everyone seemed to be coming off with big smiles on their faces and we stayed on 5 times in a row without having to get off and walk round (Towers take note :p ) and we witnessed the same people come back and stay on for several re-rides. I know this is a very unscientific way of judging it but the fact remains that the ONLY negative opinions I've heard regarding the ride have been from enthusiasts.

Like I say, all opinions are subjective. If a ride being rattley and slightly rough are grounds for you to dislike it, then I can understand why you do. As for the layout, well it was never meant to have a long and complex layout, people don't criticise Stealth for its layout, so I've never really understood this argument. Personaly I love the layout and think that it proves you don't need to over-complicate something to make it a great ride. Addin more inversions woul lose the acceleration an take it off ground level, which is what theride was always meant to be, hence its low height.

I prefer the following launch coasters to Furius Baco:

- Rita
- Stealth
- Desert Race
- Top Thrill Dragster
- Storm Runner
- Kingda Ka
- Maverick
- iSpeed
- Blue Fire
- Rock n Roller Coaster DLP
- Space Mountain Mission 2
- Rock n Roller Coaster WDW
- Incredible Hulk
- Shock
- Abismo
- Wicked Twister
- Possessed
- Flight of Fear
- Volcano: The Blast Coaster
- Verbolten
- Fluch von Novgorod
- Anubis

I do not prefer:

- Sky Rocket
- Velocity
- Booster Bike

Just to clarify how poor I think it is amongst launches I have done.

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2