• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex: The Future

Hey, I've tried so many times, but every time I'm there, It's ether shut or has an intolerable queue that extends out of the Queues boundaries!!!

Hex used to be my baby, and I was lucky enough to be paid to ride it every morning, sometimes two or three times, for several months.

It’s STILL a must-do for me on any visit. I can’t wait for you to experience it.

I do hope it reopens soon, I'd previously ridden Merlins Magic Castle (Walibi Holland), Villa Volta (Efteling), Monsters House Party (LL Windsor) and The Haunted Swing (BPB) . Then the past week rode Houdini (Bellewarde), Feng Shu Palace (Phantasialand), a genie based one (Walibi Belgium), and finally The Haunting (Drayton Manor). And whilst they all offer a show scene its definitely Hex that does this the best with the different scenes before you arrive in the vault itself.

Last edited:
I do hope it reopens soon, I'd previously ridden Merlins Magic Castle (Walibi Holland), Villa Volta (Efteling), Monsters House Party (LL Windsor). Then the past week rode Houdini (Bellewarde), Feng Shu Palace (Phantasialand), a genie based one (Walibi Belgium), and finally The Haunting (Drayton Manor). And whilst they all offer a show scene its definitely Hex that does this the best with the different scenes before you arrive in the vault itself.
Yep, Hex is the best one by a significant margin.

Does anyone remember being underwhelmed when Hex first opened?

I don't recall a heavy ad campaign but there was a lot of mystery around it. Probably me just being a young thrillseeker but it left me a bit disappointed. I do appreciate it a lot more these days.

What was the general consensus?

I don't recall a heavy ad campaign but there was a lot of mystery around it. Probably me just being a young thrillseeker but it left me a bit disappointed. I do appreciate it a lot more these days.

I loved it. As a 16 year old I was totally sold on the whole “Heritage Restoration” branding being real, and the story of the Earl and the fallen branch.

I distinctly remember the odd feeling of leaving my belly behind the first time the room moved and the swing moved with it. I’d experienced a ‘spinning room’ ride elsewhere but this was my first real madhouse experience and it totally got me the first time.

The fact that I can remember this whereas I couldn’t for the life of me tell you when I first rode Nemesis, or RMT, or the Corkscrew just goes to show how much of an impression the story, the preshow and the ride experience had.

Sorry, I am firmly in the "One (old) Trick Pony" category.
It is a nice version of a funfair flat ride that is as old as the hills.
Well staged, in a good setting, it was a really good ride.
Once.
It simply has zero reride fun for me.
You sit on a big swing, that rocks a bit, then get off, after queueing in a couple of different places.
Handy for a rest, good fun to take a "never before rider", like thirteen, but I only ride for rain shelter these days, dry with a nice sit down.
Never understood the thoosie fuss.

Still 2nd best attraction in the park for me, love it. Hope to see it back soon.

First rode it in 2000 when I was about 13 and had no idea what to expect, I remember totally believing the ‘restoration work’ story line, thinking they had genuinely found something whilst doing some work on the Towers. :tearsofjoy:

Still 2nd best attraction in the park for me, love it. Hope to see it back soon.

First rode it in 2000 when I was about 13 and had no idea what to expect, I remember totally believing the ‘restoration work’ story line, thinking they had genuinely found something whilst doing some work on the Towers. :tearsofjoy:
Same, it's only second to Nemesis for me. 🙂
Towers just wouldn't be the same without it, like Nemmy.

Hopefully it’s going to reopen soon, but maybe the running pre shows was just general maintenance somehow?

Same! I remember riding it for the first time when I was 10 and I genuinely thought we were entering an actual vault and that the tree branch in the centre of the madhouse was the actual fallen branch.

So, so well done. Such a piece of theatrical genius. Here’s hoping it’s back soon!

It's not the ride system itself that makes it so appealing - it's the storytelling element that's so compelling. The fact that it is based on an actual local legend about the 16th Earl that predates the theme park uses the ruins of the Towers themselves are what makes it so completely unique. Any other madhouse done just as well without that connection to the history of its setting would pale in comparison. And as storytelling goes it's done well, it's dark and ominous and there is a genuine sense of foreboding as soon as you step into the building - for me even before the pre-show starts - and it gives me goosebumps no matter how many times I've ridden it.

Sorry, self-confessed Hex fangirl here as I am sure you've all worked out by now!

It's not the ride system itself that makes it so appealing - it's the storytelling element that's so compelling. The fact that it is based on an actual local legend about the 16th Earl that predates the theme park uses the ruins of the Towers themselves are what makes it so completely unique. Any other madhouse done just as well without that connection to the history of its setting would pale in comparison. And as storytelling goes it's done well, it's dark and ominous and there is a genuine sense of foreboding as soon as you step into the building - for me even before the pre-show starts - and it gives me goosebumps no matter how many times I've ridden it.

Sorry, self-confessed Hex fangirl here as I am sure you've all worked out by now!
Agreed, it's a whole package! Each individual element combines to create a masterpiece of a dark ride. 🙂

Just out of curiosity, do you know what parts of the ride was apparently signed off yesterday? As I see it's still not open?

Sounds like the preshow - so cinema, octagon etc. The preshow runs completely independently of the vault, they’re essentially two separate attractions so hearing it running wouldn’t necessarily imply that the vault is back in action.

Historically though this isn’t a time of season where there’s bags of time to spare for non-urgent works, what with all the event prep to do for Oktoberfest, Scarefest, Fireworks etc, so hopefully it’s a positive sign.