• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex: The Future

Might be hard to answer but how were the queue times for it typically?

For example, The Curse is almost always walk on or very short whereas WickerMan is always 60min and upwards...

There are rumours the indoor queue might have been rerouted a bit but previously if the queue was just to the door it’s about 10 minutes. Though in my opinion you actually benefit from a bit of time in the indoor queue rather than just walking straight into the batching area.

There are rumours the indoor queue might have been rerouted a bit but previously if the queue was just to the door it’s about 10 minutes. Though in my opinion you actually benefit from a bit of time in the indoor queue rather than just walking straight into the batching area.
Yes I find that too. Because the ride plays with your perception of "right way up", I find the longer you're away from daylight and the "natural" horizon the better. Plus it allows your eyes to adjust to the dark when you queue. It's one of the few rides that I'd recommend joining when there is a queue. Plus the more people in the vault at the end, the better (especially if one of your party is wearing a birthday badge, the vault host spots it and gets everyone to sing happy birthday before the ride starts, as happened with my daughter on her 21st a few years ago!)

Yes I find that too. Because the ride plays with your perception of "right way up", I find the longer you're away from daylight and the "natural" horizon the better. Plus it allows your eyes to adjust to the dark when you queue. It's one of the few rides that I'd recommend joining when there is a queue. Plus the more people in the vault at the end, the better (especially if one of your party is wearing a birthday badge, the vault host spots it and gets everyone to sing happy birthday before the ride starts, as happened with my daughter on her 21st a few years ago!)

This and the backstory that is played in the armoury is worth watching too. Plus, it's just a nice building to be in and soak up the atmosphere it helps create for the ride.

I do hope they have the audio back to a decent level and power with the bass in the vault though. Such a simple fix that adds so much to the experience. The vault is supposed to be the grand finale with a grand score to match. The way the composition is written is supposed to be played at high volumes with it's grand, majestic and imposing melodies. It compliments being in the secret vault that has been teased to you the rider, from as soon as you enter the queue. It's like a damp squib going through the ride and all the pre show build ups, to have very quiet audio at the end.

The music levels, narration and loading narration in the vault used to sound excellent, recently not so much. All because it is too quiet for how it is supposed to sound.

The audio in the Octagon was nearly excellent a few years ago, it was very lould, which is perfect and needed to evoke the emotions and convey the atmosphere of the story as it was designed. It was just a little bit too sharp to the ears. The upper mid and high end needed adjusting slightly I think. The high end more than the upper mid range audio. So that it is still very lould and powerful but not as sharp on the ears, so that it isn't as.... painfull? If that is even the right word, as it doesn't hurt so to speak, but it's not far off. That can be fixed without turning it down and keeping the audio very powerful though.

Last edited:
This and the backstory that is played in the armoury is worth watching too. Plus, it's just a nice building to be in and soak up the atmosphere it helps create for the ride.

I do hope they have the audio back to a decent level and power with the bass in the vault though. Such a simple fix that adds so much to the experience. The vault is supposed to be the grand finale with a grand score to match. The way the composition is written is supposed to be played at high volumes with it's grand, majestic and imposing melodies. It compliments being in the secret vault that has been teased to you the rider, from as soon as you enter the queue. It's like a damp squib going through the ride and all the pre show build ups, to have very quiet audio at the end.

The music levels, narration and loading narration in the vault used to sound excellent, recently not so much. All because it is too quiet for how it is supposed to sound.

The audio in the Octagon was nearly excellent a few years ago, it was very lould, which is perfect and needed to evoke the emotions and convey the atmosphere of the story as it was designed. It was just a little bit too sharp to the ears. The upper mid and high end needed adjusting slightly I think. The high end more than the upper mid range audio. So that it is still very lould and powerful but not as sharp on the ears, so that it isn't as.... painfull? If that is even the right word, as it doesn't hurt so to speak, but it's not far off. That can be fixed without turning it down and keeping the audio very powerful though.
If you ever went on it with the original Bose(I think) audio system. . .which was properly tuned by people in the know, it really shows how bad the current OHM setup is which was installed during the "tlc" years. .

It's far too shrill and like you say the high end needs pulling back down and evening out with the lows and mids - the narration in the first pre-show can be very piercing at some points.

The thing for me is the syncronisation between the drum and the seats in terms of movement,

For quite a few of the last years, the syncing has been slightly off. Nothing that 99% of people will notice but it's just enough so that you get that queasy nauseus feeling when the seats and drum change direction. If it was perfectly in sync you wouldn't get that. The main time you notice it is at the end of the cycle when the drum takes ages to align with the physical doors.

The thing for me is the syncronisation between the drum and the seats in terms of movement,

For quite a few of the last years, the syncing has been slightly off. Nothing that 99% of people will notice but it's just enough so that you get that queasy nauseus feeling when the seats and drum change direction. If it was perfectly in sync you wouldn't get that. The main time you notice it is at the end of the cycle when the drum takes ages to align with the physical doors.

Surely, hex is one of those attractions due some proper plussing?

Audio sorted, new effects in the octagon
- get the rain back
- better lightning
- fix the projection room (projector and ceiling lighting)
- actual lighting of the bookcase the emphasise the route
- 3d projections in the vault? (And better audio)

I’ve always thought hex needed something at the end, I’d love to see it used as a pre-show to a flying theatre or the other gallery? Restored and used as the post show, then exiting back towards x-sector

Last edited:
If you ever went on it with the original Bose(I think) audio system. . .which was properly tuned by people in the know, it really shows how bad the current OHM setup is which was installed during the "tlc" years. .

It's far too shrill and like you say the high end needs pulling back down and evening out with the lows and mids - the narration in the first pre-show can be very piercing at some points.

I did yes and it was Bose throughout. It sounded far better than the current speakers. Ohm are pretty capable so I'm convinced it can be mostly fixed with some proper tuning and audio engineering. The signal processing on Bose commercial equipment is pretty decent, that said, they are not the only ones with decent processing. Far from it.

The Bose system throughout is something that really made the ride. It really did sound spectacular in its hey day. They got it bang on for the complex acoustics of the rooms it was in.

Why oh why they got rid of the Bose system is beyond me, I'm certain with a soundsystem of such expense, it would have had audio limiters to prevent any damage to the equipment and drivers as most high end PA grade equipment does. A well looked after sound system will sound just as good as the first day decades later. I guess the people doing the TLC just assumed newer would mean better. In this case, it really did not.

Last edited:
Hex is a ride where it’s actually disappointing the queue always moves so quickly. The atmosphere in The Armoury while queuing is wonderful. I love the whole experience of Hex and it’s probably the definition of the ‘Alton Towers Magic’ to me.

The audio system does need sorting. I’m not expecting any major changes for 2024 (except for a working ride). It will be nice to just have Hex open again. Any additions/effects/audio fixes would be a nice bonus.

Rule in life...Never be disappointed when a queue moves quickly!
I'm one of those who only uses Hex for rain shelter, but it will be nice to see another roof back in use.

Very much looking forward to Hex being back! I think it’s on a few rides that at Towers that the whole family can go on regardless of height. Last season I saw many a disappointed family walk to the ride and being disappointed that it was shut.

On a rainy day it’s definitely a must!

I think as well the effects still do stand up almost 24 years on- I’ve been a few rides when people have clapped at the end of the vault!

Just because you have a big queue pen it doesn't mean it makes sense to use it!
They are best left unused, except when needed, especially that type of cattlepen that returns constantly on itself.
Nice big queue area indoors, dry and nicely themed...no more covid restrictions, no need for needless queueing in the rain.
Part of the Hex attraction.

could the towers be considered theming for hex? Because it’s all been there for centuries. Or is hex theming to the towers?

Why on earth would they close the indoor queue? I don't see them trying to make the main entrance wheelchair accessible like Curse/Duel (the ramp would surely have to be massive) so that means they'd have to retain the existing merge point anyway.

Moving the queue outside would big a significant downgrade in the pre-ride experience.

Why on earth would they close the indoor queue? I don't see them trying to make the main entrance wheelchair accessible like Curse/Duel (the ramp would surely have to be massive) so that means they'd have to retain the existing merge point anyway.

Moving the queue outside would big a significant downgrade in the pre-ride experience.
You'd still use the indoor queue as a walk-through, so RAP would still use the usual door.

also isn't that part grade 2 listed?

So why have an extra staff member just to keep everyone standing out in the rain? What are they trying to achieve?
There are rumours to suggest that actually you'll queue outside the cattle pen. Then you'll have to interpretative dance through the cattle queue, then moonwalk through the switchbacks inside the Towers before getting to the projector at the end.

I think we can safely presume that the inside queue will remain. There's no reason to alter the system.