• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex: The Future

It’s a change in vibe, but that’s the point.

The general public don’t respond well to subtlety, so the refurb leans into spectacle and bombastic, attention grabbing finales.

Is it to my taste as an enthusiast, perhaps not. But I’ve NEVER seen a full ride of guests as engaged in the finale as I did last Saturday

I agree. Whilst Towers has always been a family park, it’s clear they’re wanting to focus on attractions that the whole family can ride together. Hex has always had the height restrictions that allow this, so they’ve merely made changes to make it as equally as engaging for all ages whilst not fundamentally changing what Hex was.

I think, on that part they’ve been successful.

When you look at the changes to the dark ride lineup since Hex reopened, you have the scary and creepy rides already covered by Curse and Sub Terra. The point of Hex is that it’s meant to be slightly unnerving and disorientating but it’s not designed to be a scary ride, it’s about a conflict between magic and science with a simple morality tale.

I think the changes that have been made make it feel more magical, from what I’ve seen online. It fills a niche in the dark ride lineup at Towers and is very on-brand for the branding of the park. I don’t think it’s ill-suited at all, this forum is always saying that Towers needs less dark/horror themes, Merlin of 5-10 years ago would have made it “the most terrifying experience of your life”, if they had to commit the resources this refurb has had.

I’m inclined to agree. Everyone in my family who isn’t an enthusiast loves the new HEX.
And because of that, I’m more than ok with the changes.
Trips on the whole are social experiences for families after all
Yes, for all those who I've known personally including my two friends who aren't enthusiasts, everyone I know loves (prefurb) Hex as it's more of an experience than attraction though many of them have yet to try it in it's new form including me, and the fact it leans heavily on local history rather than some wild fantasy gives it a certain edge to it that is quite hard to say why but it all works.

That’s really interesting to hear, because a lot of non-enthusiasts I know haven’t liked Hex. My sister always found it boring, my nan and grandad didn’t like it either, and other people I’ve been on it with seemed a bit non-plussed.

Plenty of people other than enthusiasts clearly like it or else they wouldn’t have spent the money on revamping it and the reopening wouldn’t have generated such interest, but that’s never the impression I’ve had from the people I’ve gone with, interestingly. Perhaps I just go with the wrong people?

I haven't been on it since arround 2013, so I can't really remember what it was like, but I really like the new changes bar one. In the cinema rooms they have applied a resin floor (probably makes it more grippy when wet, and reduces wear on the stone floor) but it squeaks really loudly and so far in the 3 rides I have had without a doubt a kid is just constantly squeaking their feet this isn't really a predictable issue and I don't know if they can fix it.