• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex: The Future

As others have mentioned we don’t know the extent of the issue. The rumour mill is always that these prolonged periods of downtime are due to slew rings failing. If that is the case there could be one of two scenarios occurring:

1) The slew rings always failed with this regularity but replacement parts are harder to get (either due to brexit or international supply chain issues). So the downtime is more prolonged.

2) Something much more deep seated is increasing the failure rate of the slew rings. This could be a range of things potentially causing the rings to distort and then fail.

We may never know exactly what’s causing it, my gut feeling is they will try and preserve Hex if they can. I think Merlin under Kirkby have realised they need to refurbish a lot of their aging equipment.

Hex is a people eater and has a high guest satisfaction rating. There is far more than nostalgia in its favour and I’m confident it will be high on Merlin’s priority list to fix.

Obviously I don’t know the nature of the issue with the ride, but if they’re willing to shell out x-thousand pounds for three seasons to boost capacity with fairground rides, I’m sure the money to repair an existing (and recently part refurbished), popular and high throughput attraction will stand a good chance of being signed off.

Alton towers don’t usually replace like for like. They repair/patch it up or remove completely and leave vault sized hole.

I rode it before season started on blue light card day and despite some lights not working and poor audio in the vault there was no signs of the noises/clunking sound which were apparent before.

Really no idea what is going on. What we do know is that they don’t take care of the ride systems on show (see mouldy Smiler) who knows what they “don’t” do on the bits we can’t see.

Reactions: Ash
Alton towers don’t usually replace like for like. They repair/patch it up or remove completely and leave vault sized hole.

I rode it before season started on blue light card day and despite some lights not working and poor audio in the vault there was no signs of the noises/clunking sound which were apparent before.

Really no idea what is going on. What we do know is that they don’t take care of the ride systems on show (see mouldy Smiler) who knows what they “don’t” do on the bits we can’t see.

Very true this. I'm torn between whether new Merlin are just letting the old stuff rot knowing it will be up for replacement, don't care, or simply haven't the budget.

Very true this. I'm torn between whether new Merlin are just letting the old stuff rot knowing it will be up for replacement, don't care, or simply haven't the budget.
Budget probably allocated to other things at the moment, The Curse, Nemesis and maybe even the new indoor coaster. Hex most likely had a some of the budget to fix it, but has failed again

I really hope that if the ride is beyond repair they will think about installing a newer version of the ride as like Nemesis it’s an icon ride to the towers and park.

Ride system is probably nearing the end of it's life I would think. So expect it to close unannounced one day, stay there for months then eventually be removed for good.

Ride system is probably nearing the end of it's life I would think. So expect it to close unannounced one day, stay there for months then eventually be removed for good.

Heartbroken wouldn't even cover how I'd feel if that happened.

It's an incredibly special ride - modern theme parks are littered with IPs, some do a great job in creating their own stories, but taking actual local history and locales and integrating them in to a great family dark ride? I can't think of any better example.

It's loss will be, in my eyes, a tragedy for the UK - because once it's gone, the special circumstances that lead to it's unique quality just don't exist anywhere else in the country's theme parks. It's one of kind.

I don’t think it’s clear, I just think it’s unfortunate that 3 ride parts (all different I believe) have broken within a year of each other. That and the ride nearing the end of its life don’t correlate at all.