• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Windsor

Thanks Diogo. Did Windsor Safari Park have any Lego in it because my Mum said that she remembers seeing "the bit with all the landmarks in it". I'm going to presume she means Miniland.

She is certain that she was a little kid! I'm just as baffled as you are, trust me!

There have been a few British theme parks with models of miniature landmarks, but the most likely one is perhaps Thorpe Park as Model World was there for the whole of the eighties and Thorpe Park is quite close to Legoland.
http://www.memoriesofthorpepark.co.uk/modelworld.html

Other theme parks with miniature landmarks include Tuktonia in Bournemouth and World in Miniature in Cornwall.
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...ering_Tucktonia__the_original_Little_Britain/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/attractions/stories/miniature.shtml

There was a Legoland preview show before it opened with models for the park, but I believe that was only for a couple of years. Certainly not in the eighties.

Well according to the website of the biggest LLW boffin I know, the safari park closed in 1992 (wow, I'm old!) And the park as we know it now opened in 1996. I can remember reading the construction updates in Bricks and Pieces (the Lego Club's magazine).

I'm far from an expert on Legoland Windsor though. Just Lego itself. ;)
Not that good a boffin:
In 1989, The LEGO Group began research into the development of a second LEGOLAND Park after LEGOLAND Billund. Over 1,000 sites were considered in all, one of which was Windsor Safari Park, which went into receivership in January of 1992. It was this 150 acre site that was chosen to be the first LEGOLAND Park outside of Denmark.
Whereas obviously HansaPark was originally a Legoland Park in Germany (Legoland Sierksdorf) between 1973 to 1976 making THAT park the 2nd Legoland and the first outside Denmark :)

Except for that Hansa wasn't built by Lego. A private company built that park then got the rights to use Lego as the theme, in a similar way to how Merlin runs the Lego parks now. After the park was built the Lego group were not happy with the quality and withdrew the licence. Therefore the statement above is correct, Windsor was the second park developed by Lego.

I also happen to know the author of that site is aware of Hansa.

Back to the original question the very oldest buildings in Miniland date back to 1993, and that's only because it took 3 years to build everything.

There have been a few British theme parks with models of miniature landmarks, but the most likely one is perhaps Thorpe Park as Model World was there for the whole of the eighties and Thorpe Park is quite close to Legoland.
http://www.memoriesofthorpepark.co.uk/modelworld.html
My mum says it may have been Thorpe that she visited, but it definitely wouldn't have been the other two because she visited as part of a trip to the Windsor area.

Except for that Hansa wasn't built by Lego. A private company built that park then got the rights to use Lego as the theme, in a similar way to how Merlin runs the Lego parks now. After the park was built the Lego group were not happy with the quality and withdrew the licence. Therefore the statement above is correct, Windsor was the second park developed by Lego.

I also happen to know the author of that site is aware of Hansa.

Back to the original question the very oldest buildings in Miniland date back to 1993, and that's only because it took 3 years to build everything.
My bad, hadn't actually realised it was a private company. I still standby the statement below being incorrect though:
"It was this 150 acre site that was chosen to be the first LEGOLAND Park outside of Denmark." but that is mostly just being picky haha

Reactions: Tim
Ah, well Thorpe used to have "Model World", roughly where Stealth's top hat is now. It featured models of various world landmarks... just not made out of Lego. ;)

I'm really not sure why this article has suddenly surfaced all over social media, but it's dated 2015 - it's regarding the original planning application :p :p

I'm really not sure why this article has suddenly surfaced all over social media, but it's dated 2015 - it's regarding the original planning application :p :p
Oh. I thought this was recent news. Looks like I got excited two years too late. :oops:

The joys of social media :oops::oops::oops: Yes this was already reported on this thread two years ago, but today has been flagging up on my FB time line, so what I thought was today's news, was really yesterday's news :banghead:

So the moral of the story is, to always double check the date and validity of the story before you post :oops: Today's lesson learnt

Roy :D

If they got planning permission for the Haunted House how come they haven't built it yet? Is it still coming?
Or was it replaced by Ninjago which opened this year?