• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Windsor

Me and Matt are LEGO fans. The target audience in a way. The park was a mess sadly.
I have to correct you here. LEGO fans are not the target audience of LEGOLAND. The target audience is children aged between 2 and 12.

I would love for the target market to be broader than this. LEGO have diversified a lot lately to bring adults into their market. Personally I think there is an opportunity for the parks to do the same. Parts of the park, (Miniland being the primary example), that focus on the amazing things you can build with LEGO do have a universal appeal. There's definitely an opportunity for a half day experience exploring the park, much like how The Gardens at Alton Towers could absolutely be a half day experience for non-thrill seekers, if you didn't have to pay the full ticket price to experience them. But brining all ages in can't take away the focus from the primary audience, which is young children.

Likewise I've been to my fair share of the Discovery Centres now, and whilst the rule that you have to be accompanying children to enter sounds unfair it's completely justified based on the contents of the attraction. Whilst the LEGOLAND Parks have plenty of attractions I'd class as all ages the only adult appeal of the Discovery Centres is seeing your local city built in LEGO.

LEGOLAND as a brand isn't aimed towards an all ages market. This could change with time but it would take a major shift in what they offer, and there isn't a major incentive to make that shift either.
Of course no matter what the target market is presentation standards should still be as good as they can possibly be.

I'll rephrase: as someone who enjoys theme parks and LEGO, a LEGO theme park should be an easy sell. I really enjoyed my day at Billund in 2022 and my morning at LLW in 2021. Yesterday was not like either of those experiences at all.

I have to correct you here. LEGO fans are not the target audience of LEGOLAND. The target audience is children aged between 2 and 12.

I would love for the target market to be broader than this. LEGO have diversified a lot lately to bring adults into their market. Personally I think there is an opportunity for the parks to do the same. Parts of the park, (Miniland being the primary example), that focus on the amazing things you can build with LEGO do have a universal appeal. There's definitely an opportunity for a half day experience exploring the park, much like how The Gardens at Alton Towers could absolutely be a half day experience for non-thrill seekers, if you didn't have to pay the full ticket price to experience them. But brining all ages in can't take away the focus from the primary audience, which is young children.

Likewise I've been to my fair share of the Discovery Centres now, and whilst the rule that you have to be accompanying children to enter sounds unfair it's completely justified based on the contents of the attraction. Whilst the LEGOLAND Parks have plenty of attractions I'd class as all ages the only adult appeal of the Discovery Centres is seeing your local city built in LEGO.

LEGOLAND as a brand isn't aimed towards an all ages market. This could change with time but it would take a major shift in what they offer, and there isn't a major incentive to make that shift either.
Of course no matter what the target market is presentation standards should still be as good as they can possibly be.
I would argue, however, that some of the things the Legoland parks have been doing lately make it look as though they might be trying to broaden their target demographic a tad. Admittedly not Legoland Windsor specifically, but some of the international Legoland parks do look as though they are trying to broaden their target audience beyond just young children.

Take Legoland Deutschland, for instance. Their big new ride for 2023 is a B&M Wing Coaster with 2 inversions and a 1.2m height restriction. Granted, it’s a pretty pint-sized B&M Wing Coaster compared to the others, but I’d argue that the addition of a B&M coaster with inversions and a 1.2m height restriction is bound to have at least some degree of appeal towards adults in a way that the prior Legoland ride lineup may not.

Many similar B&M Wing Coasters with inversions are also mooted for the new Legoland parks in China and elsewhere, and I heard rumblings of one potentially going to Legoland Florida.

Legoland Deutschland also has a Gerstlauer Sky Fly, a ride type that can be made pretty intense if the rider wishes. Furthermore, I gather that Legoland Billund also has a manually controlled robo arm that, as with the Gerstlauer Sky Fly, can be made pretty intense if the rider wants it to be.

While I admit that the latter things I mentioned were not necessarily recent additions, I’d certainly argue that some decisions made by the Legoland parks under Merlin suggest that they do want to make their target market broader than just young children, and some of these additions could hold appeal for adults and teenagers as well as young children.

Last edited:
I'm going to Legoland for a family day out tomorrow, I'm guessing I can't bring the refillable coca cola freestyle cup I got from my map as it's Alton towers branded?

So after Chessington yesterday we rocked up today knowing it will likely be our last time at the park as my kids get older. My lads love the thought of their old man in Legoland as they know I have an absolutely hatred for the thing, mostly due to the amount of times I have stepped on it and swearing over the last 14 sodding years!

Anyhow, we went knowing that we wanted to do Dragon, Ninjago and Sky Lion as musts and then anything else was a bonus, as we didn't want to spend all day in there as yesterday took it out of us.

We managed to do those three by 11.30pm and then the lads went on the Pony Spinning ride three times in a row and actually rated it very highly. To be honest I was far to busy still searching for my alleged piece of cod in a £12.50 bit of batter and Chips to watch them.

We had a walk around the Miniland which is still my favourite section and then the other three built Lego whilst I closed my eyes thinking of my missing cod...yes I will not let it go.

All in all we had a good 4 and half hours but my god that place gets busy...90 mins for a log flume...all the best!

Could anyone just confirm for me please, for the Brick or Treat days in October, are all of the rides open as usual or is it only select rides? Can't seem to find the info anywhere. Thanks

All the rides open for brick or treat, although a number may close at dusk, which usually includes the water rides, train and sky ride.

Lego probably has the most exaggerated safety of any park. They have to even check trains doors whilst saying “your secure”.

Pretty much everything is open but from their ride availability page looks like Laser Raiders & Scarab Bouncers are closed towards the beginning of Brick or Treat if you're going then. They've started doing annual maintenance at various times around the year to keep the park largely open for Christmas / Feb Half Term.

Who had money on the golf not opening on site? The inside of the building is empty still.

legolandwindsorminigolf-10.jpg

We were at Legoland today. Around 4pm we noticed staff putting a privacy screen up on the level crossing between the Legoland Express station and Laser Raiders. Desert Chase and Thunder Blazer were both closed, and the whole area in front of the station was blocked by members of staff. I caught a glimpse of the train, which had stopped short of the station and was surrounded by about 20 members of staff.

Hoping no-one was hurt or injured, there were no ambulances that I saw then or throughout the rest of the visit.

I can't find any mention of it anywhere, so just thought I'd bring it up here.

On an unrelated note, Haunted House Monster Party of course broke down on the last ride of the day - with us stuck in it for about 10 minutes. It's a shame, but these Vekoma Madhouses seem to becoming very unreliable.

I would argue, however, that some of the things the Legoland parks have been doing lately make it look as though they might be trying to broaden their target demographic a tad. Admittedly not Legoland Windsor specifically, but some of the international Legoland parks do look as though they are trying to broaden their target audience beyond just young children.

Take Legoland Deutschland, for instance. Their big new ride for 2023 is a B&M Wing Coaster with 2 inversions and a 1.2m height restriction. Granted, it’s a pretty pint-sized B&M Wing Coaster compared to the others, but I’d argue that the addition of a B&M coaster with inversions and a 1.2m height restriction is bound to have at least some degree of appeal towards adults in a way that the prior Legoland ride lineup may not.

Many similar B&M Wing Coasters with inversions are also mooted for the new Legoland parks in China and elsewhere, and I heard rumblings of one potentially going to Legoland Florida.

Legoland Deutschland also has a Gerstlauer Sky Fly, a ride type that can be made pretty intense if the rider wishes. Furthermore, I gather that Legoland Billund also has a manually controlled robo arm that, as with the Gerstlauer Sky Fly, can be made pretty intense if the rider wants it to be.

While I admit that the latter things I mentioned were not necessarily recent additions, I’d certainly argue that some decisions made by the Legoland parks under Merlin suggest that they do want to make their target market broader than just young children, and some of these additions could hold appeal for adults and teenagers as well as young children.
We were at LLW yesterday and were chatting with a ride host as Sky Lion had a moment. I know what they say should be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes but she said LLW are definitely trying to add more things for older kids to do. The new coaster being built for next year is going to part of that plan. She wouldn’t be drawn on any details, except she said it would be 1.3m as “kids who love LL are now growing up and we don’t want to lose them”.
Full trip report will follow - recovering today from what I hoped would be a relaxing trip which turned into a full on COMPLETE THE LIST sprint.