• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

Rob said:
the pretzel loop!
I had forgotten it was going to have one of those as well. As if this coaster doesn't have enough crazy elements already!

Oh hello, aren't you going to look lovely when you have track attached:

pretzel5.jpg

Progressing nicely!

;D

I think the supports do need to be talked about here. I'm disappointed in either Mack or Liseberg, not sure which. Maybe Liseberg weren't willing to stump up the extra cash for a slightly more thoughtful and graceful support design.

I find it difficult to believe that if asked, and if the price was right, the superb Mack engineers couldn't have come up with something better than this:

current1_3.jpg

There must have been a better solution. For example, look at how much more elegant these Storm Runner supports are on the same element...

ohCfYXa.jpg

A shame, but the coaster should still be superb. :)

Storm Runner isn't on the side of a hill though, which is probably where the issue lies...

The other side's supporting structure is simple, because of the flatter ground, much like Storm Runner's in fact...

Does look ugly though, a shame...

It's all due to the terrain, just look at the horrible mess of supports on the new Intamin Blitz in Turkey:

4m604ate0a1ljj3ll597o0.jpg

Not to mention how much of it is built over Lisebergbanana. I can't help but think that maybe if the supports were say white this would look less offensive on the eyes.

I'd imagine that it is largely down to the terrain that Helix is built on. It's a shame as it does look very ugly but I doubt much could have been done about it. I still think it's a price worth paying for such an awesome looking coaster!

Anyway, Liseberg have added some more photos to the Helix blog:

Helixdive.jpg

Helix2.jpg

Helixhelix.jpg

Work is also progressing nicely on the pretzel loop with track being put in place. I'd imagine it could be complete by the end of the week.

:)

Some new photos from Loefet and lond over at TPR:

This one shows the plan of the queue area. The queue is planned to be a maze/labyrinth covering multiple floors.
thumb_ritning.jpg

Such a mess :)
thumb_helix_3_2_10.jpg

Dat heartlining <3
thumb__1160126_tn.jpg

First corkscrew out of the station and the pretzel loop being constructed
thumb__1160136_tn.jpg

In conclusion, I think I did a sex wee and I cannot wait to get over there to ride this! ;D

This and Lisbergbanan are going to be amazing with the way they interact now.

Looking at that queue plan, the triangular bit at the bottom with all the stairs... Anyone else thinking of M. C. Escher's famous "Relativity"? :D

Relativity-escher.jpg

The latest Helix blog post shows the coaster that they planned before Helix that didn't happen which went by the project name of Green Fire. It was also a Mack, but ultimately they scrapped these plans and went for what is now Helix!

Helix Blog said:
By popular request. Here is the track that did not . It went under the working title of Green Fire. We started working with drawings 2010 along with MACK Rides. Even then, we have selected MACK Rides as a supplier because we wanted to build a new path with their Bluefire technology.

In 2011 we took the decision to end the project Green Fire.
There were several reasons for this:

- The track was too dominant on the mountain. With a highest point at 83 meters experienced the park in general that are small during the course. We were afraid that we would build a roller coaster with a theme park in - instead of an amusement park with a roller coaster.
- The track used nor the mountain in the best way . Instead of , as Lisebergbanan and Helix , work with mountain and utilize its topography in a good way as opposed Green Fires layout mountain. Where the rock is low, Green Fire peaked and construction could be seen as a forest of poles.
- We also realized that we could get problems with sound levels. Although the track is the quietest path then it will yelled a lot and where the track was located , it was not much we could do to reduce the sound.

Clearance of projects Green Fire is the boot for project Helix . In 2011 we started a new project with MACK Rides. The new project still had a vision to build a new roller coaster at Liseberg but this this time there the following criteria :

The track would go near the ground, to be located on the side of the mountain facing the park , it would be as long as possible and include as many different elements and experiences as possible.

We are very pleased with the decision. We are confident that Helix is ​​a much better path than the path we abandoned . Above all, the Helix a much better path to Liseberg .

Rendering_3.jpg

Rendering_8.jpg

It would have been the tallest coaster in Europe!

Oh. As much as it's always good to see a new tall coaster coming to Europe... Thank GOD they didn't build that!!

It just looks far far too dominant, would have completely ruined the look of the mountain!

However... Mack, by all means feel free to build it elsewhere! Something like this would be fantastic to see in Europe!!

I would be more than happy for Blackpool, or some park of that level, to build this Green Fire!

Although it's oversupported.

Mack making a 82 metre coaster? This is almost 270ft!

I'm not so sure Helix looks better to be honest...a hypercoaster (and a tall one at that) with inversions? And built by Mack, with lapbars? What could be better?

Alastair said:
I'm not so sure Helix looks better to be honest...a hypercoaster (and a tall one at that) with inversions? And built by Mack, with lapbars? What could be better?

Thought it was just me!!

To be fair I think Helix does actually "look" better, aesthetically, but yeah, what it looks like from the ground is the first thing I'm thinking of as the ride crests a 270ft drop heading for inversions with lap restraints lol ;D

I think this is where the community divides into two categories:

Theme Park enthusiasts (DON'T RUIN THAT MOUNTAIN!)

and

Roller Coaster Enthusiasts (Height, Drop, Speed, Inversions, Lap Restraints, Mack? ... Excuse me one moment).

I think it looks immense! The thought of a 270ft tall Mack with those trains and inversions is mouth watering! I am glad that they went with Helix though, it suits the park far better. Hopefully something like Green Fire gets built ASAP!

TheMan said:
Alastair said:

Thought it was just me!!

To be fair I think Helix does actually "look" better, aesthetically, but yeah, what it looks like from the ground is the first thing I'm thinking of as the ride crests a 270ft drop heading for inversions with lap restraints lol ;D

I think this is where the community divides into two categories:

Theme Park enthusiasts (DON'T RUIN THAT MOUNTAIN!)

and

Roller Coaster Enthusiasts (Height, Drop, Speed, Inversions, Lap Restraints, Mack? ... Excuse me one moment).

Yeah the only thing I'd change is the colour - the red sticks out quite a bit. Maybe white or light blue would've suited better. As for the coaster though, it's all about the experience and it looks incredible aesthetically just by virtue of it being so tall.

That hyper looks ridiculously good. Happy with Helix but if that design was adapted to fit somewhere else, I'd be very happy to see it built.