• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

Re: Liseberg 2014: Helix - Mack Megacoaster

I know I sound like a broken record when saying this, but this coaster really does look incredible.

It looks like construction has started again after a winter break. Liseberg posted these new photos on their Facebook page:

1549500_772419459454289_1813160610_n.jpg

998144_772419466120955_1194884794_n.jpg

1560407_772419492787619_660389736_n.jpg

1545599_772419502787618_1539568022_n.jpg

1620465_772419499454285_1627682887_n.jpg

67837_772419542787614_1170215376_n.jpg

:)

The following photos showing the airtime hill being built have been posted on the official Helix blog:

2014airtaime1.jpg

2014airtime3.jpg

2014airtime2.jpg

Looking good!

Said airtime hill is complete:

264538_775787385784163_487542665_n.jpg

;D

Looks great, I'm really disappointed I'm got going to be able to visit this year. :( Hopefully for 2015 with Legoland as well. Mack seem to be invading this year.

Rob said:
Said airtime hill is complete:

264538_775787385784163_487542665_n.jpg

;D

Isn't the inverted tophat going to be twice the size of that hill?

I can't wait to see some testing videos on a couple of months!

;D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

An amazing and big photo update can be found on Theme Park Review here, I strongly recommend you take a look!

Like with Banshee at Kings Island, Liseberg are showing that coasters can indeed be constructed in cold snowy conditions. This Helix site isn't exactly a straightforward flat site either.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Also, how close will that swing get to the track?! Checking through the updates I also noticed it's built to kind of perch on the side of the hill!! This is an extraordinary build, in what looks like an extraordinary location!

thumb_helix_13_2_50.jpg

Not bashing for the sake of it, but looking at that construction, definitely puts The Smiler back into some kind of perspective.

That being said of course, Helix isn't open yet...

The drop out of the station has been built:

1800445_780562815306620_940916908_n.jpg

1623763_780562811973287_1828034553_n.jpg

I hope other parks take note of the way Liseberg is documenting the construction of this. A frequently updated blog, lots of social media work and inviting the public in for tours.

I'm more excited for this than any of this year's other openings, mostly down to these updates! :-D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Indeed, Liseberg's coverage of the construction is fantastic! They ever have 3 web cams set up showing different parts of the site. I honestly do think this is one of the best ways to market, promote and generate excitement for your big new coaster.

Rob said:
Indeed, Liseberg's coverage of the construction is fantastic! They ever have 3 web cams set up showing different parts of the site. I honestly do think this is one of the best ways to market, promote and generate excitement for your big new coaster.

For us yes. For the general public, not so much.

smudge said:
Rob said:

How do you figure?

Showing off your new ride being built and looking impressive is a sure fire way to get people interested in visiting your park... Hell even Plopsaland are posting construction photos of their waterpark atm, just to promote both it and the park...

Social media is an outlet every park needs to take advantage of, and having construction updates is certainly a good way to promote a brand new ride...

There’s no point in marketing a new ride until it is about to open anyway. The purpose of marketing is to catch people in that moment so that they feel like visiting. Show a flashy advert now and you'll catch attention but only the fans will remember it in a few months time when it's time to organise a trip.
If you want to generate excitement giving the fans what they want is a great way to market the ride now, then when the time comes to get the potential guests (aka. general publics) attention bring out the fancy advertising campaign.

You have to feel sorry for the marketing team behind The Smiler and other delayed projects that end up starting their promotional too early.

As above, it may interest them when they see a construction photo, but they won't follow or joygasm over it like us, they will forget it until they see an advert when it opens.

As far as the GP is concerned, all the pictures in the world, they would not know its a double launched Mack Megacoaster will they? Its just another rollercoaster. Maybe even the most observant will see the 'loop-da-loops' - but nothing else.

Benzin said:
smudge said:
Rob said:

How do you figure?

Showing off your new ride being built and looking impressive is a sure fire way to get people interested in visiting your park... Hell even Plopsaland are posting construction photos of their waterpark atm, just to promote both it and the park...

Social media is an outlet every park needs to take advantage of, and having construction updates is certainly a good way to promote a brand new ride...

Also, I didn't say its a bad idea, of course social media is important and effective. My post was more in relation to the bold above.

But you're thinking of it in a sense that they won't know who the manufacturer/ride type/etc will be...

That's not the point of these images, it's to show the construction of the new ride and entice people to consider visiting... Of course enthusiasts will be more excited than the GP, but that's not to say that such images won't excite the GP as well...

It's rather tarring them all (the GP), when why else would the parks use the social media in this way, considering enthusiasts aren't the main market?

I'm hardly a marketing expert but in the inital stages surely it's all about generating hype. Construction photos seem to be a great way of doing this. I have seen comment from members of the public on various theme parks construction photos on Facebook saying things along the lines of "that looks amazing, we'll have to visit". Everyone has a memory, and it's not just enthusiasts that are capable of remembering things related to theme parks. Saying that people will just simply forget is a silly thing in my opinion, there will be a significant number of people who won't forget and may even look into the new attraction more.

Also, of course the general public won't know exactly what type of coaster it is. But that really doesn't matter. Chances are they will be interested by the fact it looks like a big new coaster. If things like mini-sites with construction/blog updates for coasters during construction were not effective then you wouldn't see so many parks putting the time and money into them.

Rob said:
Saying that people will just simply forget is a silly thing in my opinion, there will be a significant number of people who won't forget and may even look into the new attraction more.
Agreed :D

Rob said:
...in the inital stages surely it's all about generating hype. Construction photos seem to be a great way of doing this. I have seen comment from members of the public on various theme parks construction photos on Facebook saying things along the lines of "that looks amazing, we'll have to visit".
Also agreed.

Rob said:
If things like mini-sites with construction/blog updates for coasters during construction were not effective then you wouldn't see so many parks putting the time and money into them.

Disagree. This has little-to-no cost compared to most marketing techniques. Although every little helps of course, but I can't imagine this marketing the new ride to anywhere even near 5% of future visitors.

I just don't think this is the best marketing technique at all - yes it is good, we love it, some members of the GP will love it, but only when the mass marketing kicks in will Liseberg be 'trending.' . Yes, a few people will be interested, but this is such a relatively small number compared to a television broadcast for example, appealing to the millions. Most people who visit theme parks, do not automatically 'like' a Facebook page either.

Its worth doing, for sure, but it's unlikely to bring in much business, or even create enough interest.

I still stick by my original point, that this will appeal to the GP "not so much." :p And I still wholeheartedly disagree with:
Rob said:
I honestly do think this is one of the best ways to market, promote and generate excitement for your big new coaster.
But that's just me. :)