• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

Therefore you're looking at between £40-£50 providing you go in the week in May. Hmm.

As ridiculous as Gothenburg Farm Airport looks, after flying from Stansted for the first time for the MADrid trip I'd rather spend a bit more flying from somewhere good to Landvetter instead.

Oh, so it is supposed to have on ride audio then? :D
I knew the soundtrack was too well timmed to the ride to be co-incidence!

Must return to Liseberg! Helix with on ride audio would just be the icing on top of a cake!

As ridiculous as Gothenburg Farm Airport looks, after flying from Stansted for the first time for the MADrid trip I'd rather spend a bit more flying from somewhere good to Landvetter instead.

Plus the bus from the airport stops you right outside the park <3

Maybe not next year, but 2016 might have to have a return back to Sweden...

2016 is the year for Sweden with Wildfire at Kolmården. Can easily get Liseberg, Kolmården and Gröna Lund done by hiring a car. 2016 is actually a very exciting year for European theme parks!

:)

Liseberg is such a frustration, though.

I mean, I did really enjoy myself there - honestly. They were so friendly, they put themselves out - and the park was a delight.

But... the big problem, and I hate to be blunt is...

Well... it's kind of small, lacks dark rides and, well - the long and short of it... nothing really was that great apart from Helix. I mean, the Schwarzkopf was fun you know, Balder - just, well - it was alright... massively overhyped by polls and general reputation over the years (perhaps it's because they cozied up to enthusiasts so much that it ends up being really OTT, like Alvey getting to operate it and/or hammer some nails in)... Kanonen not so much. I just wish they had more.

Maybe a few high end shows? Maybe another big coaster to match the scale of Helix?

That said, of course I will go back. Helix is just fab. But the rest it's just so... 'alright'.

The view from Gothia Towers mind you...

<3

Liseberg is such a frustration, though.

That said, of course I will go back. Helix is just fab. But the rest it's just so... 'alright'.

The view from Gothia Towers mind you...

<3

Surely though this shows a direction and intent? It doesn't seem the biggest park ever and surely that's one of the reason it getting Helix was such a wtf moment, and in turn became such a high profile ride.

Let's say for example they plonked it next to Kingda Ka, (maybe a bad example, take the idea rather than ride), would it have made such a huge global impact? I doubt it personally.

I think it signaled an intent to become a major player, it looks so beautiful, and as back up rides to a single main attraction it's hard to argue with what they have for a city centre park. (Taking all this on description, excuse errors please).

So whilst I get your point, totally, I get the sense this is a bit more akin to one of our smaller parks putting a Helix in - rather than, say, Thorpe for example.

If it didn't have a major headline WOW ride before - that denotes it's size as a park, it's now raised it's own bar - and that's one of my chief concerns for the park itself, we all know what happens in ANY industry when raised expectations are not met. It can actually sour the impact of decent attractions.

See my point?

Not really. Liseberg have always pulled fairly big projects out of the bag - every 10 years or so.

Lisebergbanan was easily as major as Helix, at the time.

Balder is equally as major.

I think the reason Liseberg doesn't have any shows is that they often have concerts and other special events. I agree with the lack of dark rides though.

Personally, I would gladly return for Helix and 'Banan alone, with Balder being a nice bonus. It's definately not a two day park though.

Therefore you're looking at between £40-£50 providing you go in the week in May. Hmm.
Just be aware they do shut some mid weeks before you book :p I booked returns for £40 across weekends and mid week this year about 6 weeks before no issue.

All those extras will be superb, especially the audio - it was a very quiet ride with most groups this year. It'll give it some extra life...also looks like I'll be buying another photo IF the camera does move.

I think the reason Liseberg doesn't have any shows is that they often have concerts and other special events. I agree with the lack of dark rides though.

Personally, I would gladly return for Helix and 'Banan alone, with Balder being a nice bonus. It's definately not a two day park though.

I mean, 'Banan is lovely but... I would hardly say it's worth going all that way for.

Or am I not seeing it?

It's a cracking old Schwarzkopf but lacks the intensity from some of their other coasters.

Like Balder, I would say that Lisebergbanan isn't as good as I had expected.

Reactions: Sam
Oh yeah, it's no Mindbender, that's for sure. But it's still great fun.
Suppose I'm a bit of a Schwarzkopf fan ;)

I love Schwarzkopf coasters.

Lisebergbanan isn't anywhere near the best I have done. Although neither is it the worst.

I think some of them are a bit overrated due to romanticism attached to them.

I've not ridden that many Schwarzkopf coasters but Lisebergbanan surpassed my expectations. It's brilliant as a long, fun family coaster and does have an element of thrill. And in the dark on the front row it becomes even better!

I agree that there's not loads to do at Liseberg compared to other parks but there is one world class coaster, two good coasters and one decent coaster. There are a good number of thrill flats, a couple of water rides, three drop/shot towers and a nice kids area. Dark rides are obviously lacking and hopefully they will address this sometime in the next five years. But for a small city centre amusment park there is enough appeal for me!

Given that in the 3 inner city Scandi parks I've done in Liseberg, Grona and Tivoli, none of them have anything close to a major dark ride... It's not surprising given the lack of space at any of them (probably the biggest dark ride was the multi-level fairytale one at Tivoli)...

Of course, Liseberg could just rip out the crappy Fairytale dark ride for sommat else, but the space constraint is the major factor... Liseberg also seem to be a park that thinks well into what their guests want, and since dark rides aren't a big commodity in the Nordics (Thor's Hammer is the biggest one in terms of scale I'd say), is there really a demand for one beyond the enthusiasts at the current time?

There's a small bunny show in the family area, but as mentioned, these places tend to focus more on concerts than shows in the way that Europa or Phantasialand do...

The lack of dark rides probably relates to the park not being a Theme Park. People don't visit Liseberg for escapism (half the guests can probably see their house from AtmosFear :p ) but for a few thrills in their free time. It's a very weird situation to have such a major park in the middle of a big city.

Personally I'd like to see a dark ride to add to bulk out the parks offering but they don't really need one.

I've not ridden that many Schwarzkopf coasters but Lisebergbanan surpassed my expectations. It's brilliant as a long, fun family coaster and does have an element of thrill. And in the dark on the front row it becomes even better!

I agree that there's not loads to do at Liseberg compared to other parks but there is one world class coaster, two good coasters and one decent coaster. There are a good number of thrill flats, a couple of water rides, three drop/shot towers and a nice kids area. Dark rides are obviously lacking and hopefully they will address this sometime in the next five years. But for a small city centre amusment park there is enough appeal for me!

I end up sounding like I don't like Liseberg - but I do.

Lisebergbanan perhaps I'd hyped to myself as it had quite a reputation... and all the others (Knightmare, Olympia Looping, Alpina Bahn) were really quite intense. Such large Schwarzkopf coasters aren't really known for just being simply 'fun and family'.

Balder just didn't deliver the reputation it had and Kanonen was just 'alright' I guess.

The park may have flat rides in abundance but it's water rides, coasters and dark rides are usually the ones you'd re ride every visit. Smaller flats often get forgotten.