• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

It is a totally understandable move when they have Atmosfear and Lisebergshjulet doing basically the same jobs. The S&S drop tower however was arguably more thrilling than the reassuringly massively engineered Atmosfear, though obviously not as visually imposing.

It is a totally understandable move when they have Atmosfear and Lisebergshjulet doing basically the same jobs. The S&S drop tower however was arguably more thrilling than the reassuringly massively engineered Atmosfear, though obviously not as visually imposing.

Which, you would not get me on.

Atmosfear is not as terrifying as you might imagine. Not by a long way.

It's often said of drop towers that once you pass a certain height the distance to the ground feels irrelevant; you're just a long way up. That definitely applies to Atmosfear. Add to that the fact that the gondola is enormous, uses Accelerator coaster-style seats and restraints and has you riding sat firmly on your backside and you don't get the same feeling of exposure that smaller tower rides give. The release mechanism is also slower acting than smaller towers can get away with, so the drop comes in less suddenly. It's a good ride and it'll have your legs flying up by the time you reach the brakes, but something like Detonator probably packs a bigger punch, and a standup tower like High Fall at Movie Park Germany does the 'height + exposure = fear' recipe better.

Atmosfear is not as terrifying as you might imagine. Not by a long way.

I have BAD height issues, Apocalypse did for me. Left me feeling all over the place for hours afterwards.

Though what your saying genuinely doesn't sound as bad to me as poccy, sounds a more pleasant experience!

High Fall at Movie Park does things better?

Unless that thing involves crushing testicles, then no, no it doesn't...

No offence Benzin, but I always feel like you've left me hanging with your end-of-post ellipsis. :) In all seriousness I'd be interested to hear why you prefer Atmosfear's ride experience to the aspects of High Fall that don't involve decelerative force applied to your groin! Standup towers aren't the most comfortable when you reach the brakes, I admit, but until that bit happens I find them more thrilling because the riding position feels less secure, even when it actually isn't of course. The scale of Atmosfear's construction makes it noteworthy, impressive and very imposing before your first ride, but it all feels too substantial to use the full potential of its ridiculous height to me.

One thing's for sure; anyone who says all drop towers are the same is utterly wrong.

I prefer Atmosfear because it doesn't try to crush my balls at the bottom, it's that simple...

Doesn't mean I don't find it dull about halfway through the drop, just High Fall is a dreadful example to pit it against... Because ride experience is the deciding factor when push comes to shove...

Liseberg have announced their new ride for 2016 as AeroSpin on Facebook.

It looks nicely themed, but nothing too mind-blowing, certainly not on the level of Mechanica:

It'll be interesting to see if they go to the effort of having IMAscore back to compose music for another flat ride.

Oh @Danny it's the more Starflyer style looking one!

They look quite graceful actually. I don't mind the aesthetics of those.

A nice little filler attraction all things considered. Looks like it will be quite classy.

I take it back, plenty more exciting/impressive flats out there of course, but that's much better than I'd thought.

I would have uploaded the video much earlier with the initial post, however my iPad didn't agree with embedding Facebook videos on the go sadly.

Half of the flat rides within Liseberg itself appeal to me personally more than AeroSpace looks like it could, but it's certainly not something I'd turn my back on or walk past without at least a ride or two.

Hopefully the next step is ripping down Fairy Tale Castle and starting afresh.

It's not the same as Air Meeting or Skyforce, so I'll give it a try, but this doesn't look like it will compare favourably to the park's great existing flats like Jukebox, Mechanica, Uppswinget and Spinrock.

After visiting Liseberg last Friday, we were very lucky to receive a BTS tour of Helix and briefly of Lisebergbanan. Whilst we were asked not to publish photos on the forums for the time being, we were told and observed a few notable differences within the park compared to our last visit in 2014.

Helix is now 2 seconds faster compared to when it first opened, and now includes a tunnel prior to the second launch directly under AeroSpin.

The views from AeroSpin over the park are delightful.

Lisebergbanan may very well be receiving new trains in the next couple of years, due to a significant struggle on obtaining the correct parts for the original trains which date back to the 80's.

The park's next coaster is being planned and will sit on the site of the old factory next to Balder. The park are looking at the options of a B&M Invert or an RMC.

We were also told that future changes to Lisebergbanan for parts availability and maintenance reasons are also likely to involve the control system. This could actually turn out to be a change for the better.

Lisebergbanan's mechanical brakes, while not on the DMP Shockwave 'brick wall' level, do pull the train to a halt sharply, and although the ride is a pure Schwarzkopf classic, to me they feel a bit out of place on what is a very fast but smooth and not enormously forceful family coaster. Grona Lund's Jetline feels more intense but is mechanically similar, and on that the final brake run at least has been replaced by much more pleasant magnetic brakes (trims too possibility, though it was hard to tell). Funnily enough not having to brace for it didn't take the shine off the experience or make it feel any less Schwarzkopf, and the coaster should be in safe hands because the park will doubtlessly be aware that any changes made need to be sympathetic to its beloved reputation.

Jetline has mag trims on the MCBRs, which somewhat tames the final section compared with Knightmare. As for Lisebergbanan, it seems likely Gerst would be called in, they did a good job with their new trains for Sooperdooperlooper.

I think when the time needs to come, replacing the brakes (or broms :p) on Lisebergbanan with the magnetic ones used like those on Jetline would be an excellent idea. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Gerst to do the eventual upgrades due to the connections with Schwarzkopf as they've done upgrades on Pskye Underground as well.

Had my first trip to Liseberg a month ago.

Helix is definitely the main draw by a large margin. Though Baldar and Lisebergbanen are also very good coasters too. I did not think much of Kanoen though it was better than Rita.

The flats are perhaps the best selection I've seen at a park. Mechanica, jukebox and Upswing were the best ones (though I don't think I disliked any). Atmosphere wasn't the best drop tower but the views above are stunning.

Hotel Gasten was a surprise, great themed scare maze and wipes the floor with anything at Fright Nights, worth the money. The two water rides were unique. The rapids were great fun and the log flume was strange.

Park overall was a great place, sort of like a better nicer Blackpool in a way (despite less wood) and a lovely place to be. It's no Europa or DLP but that's because it's not trying to be.

It'll be interesting to see what the future holds for the park. Fairy Tale Castle comes across as the only ride for the chopping block, due to how dated and out of place it looks. However I have heard they've bought some new beside that area.

A new dark ride would be essential and I get the impression Lisebergbanen will get a hardware upgrade when the old systems become too difficult to maintain. Those brakes though are fatal. A bit like narrowly avoiding a car accident fatal.

I think when the time needs to come, replacing the brakes (or broms :p) on Lisebergbanan with the magnetic ones used like those on Jetline would be an excellent idea. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Gerst to do the eventual upgrades due to the connections with Schwarzkopf as they've done upgrades on Pskye Underground as well.
Their new trains on SooperDooperLooper are wonderful, too.