• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

I wouldn't say it's definitely arson - it's a construction site after all. Hot works (welding etc) in the vicinity, faulty construction equipment catching fire or even a loose cigarette, it could be a multitude of things. When I was there last year, it was clear there was a lot going on across what is a pretty compact site, it's still entirely possible this was an accidental fire in my view.

I'm surprised water slides aren't made from fire retardant material. Big questions to be asked from fire watch duties if hot works were happening on site.

I'm surprised water slides aren't made from fire retardant material. Big questions to be asked from fire watch duties if hot works were happening on site.

Obviously we really have no idea but usually things are rated to be resistant to fire for a period of time for evacuation. However that’s based on normal operation.

During construction you have all sorts of chemicals and materials that can act as accelerators which may negate any fire retardants. So just because the slides went up quick in this scenario it wouldn’t mean the same slide would do so in its normal operation.

But it’s all up in the air really.

The fire is back under control now, as confirmed by Swedish newspaper, DN. My guess would be the preference in these situations (as we see in the UK) is to demolish any building at risk of collapse then fight any fires that crop up from there. However, with someone missing they'll be avoiding doing that at present. Instead they're left to fight the fire as best as possible using aerial platforms, with the building still up and in danger of collapse/flare ups.

The guy who took the photo of the fire starting has posted another tweet with the timestamp for each photo taken from the metadata on his phone/camera. Six minutes from taking the picture of the initial fire through to the explosion. An absolutely insane speed for a fire to spread, and while any potential loss of life is said, it appears incredibly fortunate that so many escaped unharmed or with minor injuries:

When you look at the metadata of my images, you realise the insanely fast progress of the fire in Oceana . First picture taken at 10:14 where it looks like the tube for "Serpent" has burned off. At 10:20 the flue gas explosion occurs.

From: https://twitter.com/goranwesterlund/status/1757532352568283231

I guess the enclosed slide acted like a chimney, drawing air in from the bottom, and expelling the smoke and combustible gasses through the top (into the building). The gasses released from burning plastics are flammable so that would explain the subsequent explosion. The gasses are also highly toxic so it doesn't bode well for the missing person.

Six minutes is just incredible though for a total loss. Had the fire service even arrived in that time? Could you evacuate a building that size in six minutes?

Everything is speculation at the moment. The sad fact of the matter is that it is a horrific event which has clearly affected the wellbeing of many people - my thoughts are with them and their loved ones.

More speculation:
If the fire started in a slide you have to think the catalyst would likely be solvents (many are used in fiberglass manufacture). https://trojanfibreglass.com.au/wp-...03/Fibreglass-and-resin-safety-fact-sheet.pdf . Lots of questions need to be answered - I'm not particularly surprised at the speed f the fire's spread given it is a construction site. I, however, just wonder why there wasn't a suitable response to the event in a quicker time frame.

More speculation:
If the fire started in a slide you have to think the catalyst would likely be solvents (many are used in fiberglass manufacture). https://trojanfibreglass.com.au/wp-...03/Fibreglass-and-resin-safety-fact-sheet.pdf . Lots of questions need to be answered - I'm not particularly surprised at the speed f the fire's spread given it is a construction site. I, however, just wonder why there wasn't a suitable response to the event in a quicker time frame.
According to Liseberg's latest statement, the fire alarm went off at 10.06am. Then looking at the timestamped photos, the huge explosions were about 15 minutes later, which is no time at all really. And you can see from those photos that emergency services were onsite. I'm not sure a quicker response would have made much of a difference, once that first slide was engulfed by fire the hot air, smoke and fumes would have been riding up through the ride of the slide and in to the slide tower.

According to Liseberg's latest statement, the fire alarm went off at 10.06am. Then looking at the timestamped photos, the huge explosions were about 15 minutes later, which is no time at all really. And you can see from those photos that emergency services were onsite. I'm not sure a quicker response would have made much of a difference, once that first slide was engulfed by fire the hot air, smoke and fumes would have been riding up through the ride of the slide and in to the slide tower.
My limited experience working with combustables on work sites (cruise ship refit) is that you would have a fire watch and depending on the the task, fire provision at the job. What I was trying to say in my previous post is that if they were working with solvents/ combustible gases (as suggested by the images) it is unusual not to have a more immediate fire fighting capability. It is all conjecture though because we don't know what happened.

My limited experience working with combustables on work sites (cruise ship refit) is that you would have a fire watch and depending on the the task, fire provision at the job. What I was trying to say in my previous post is that if they were working with solvents/ combustible gases (as suggested by the images) it is unusual not to have a more immediate fire fighting capability. It is all conjecture though because we don't know what happened.

Even with a fire watcher, most of the training will say if you do not feel comfortable fighting the fire don't. If things got out of control as quickly as it seemed to was unlikely it could've been prevented in that manner.

[Restructured post]

As well as not fighting a fire larger than a bin, fire warden training states not to fight fires involving gas or chemicals. Also, if the fire requires more than one extinguisher (even if the correct one is available), the room's smoky and or the escape route's unclear. Everyone must evacuate ASAP.

Last edited:
Is the fire actually out yet?
There's actually an FAQ on Liserberg's website which is being regularly updated:
Is the fire completely out now?
According to the fire service, it was still burning in places on Thursday in the building and the fire service is still on site to put it out. But we cannot answer exactly how much it is burning or when it may be completely extinguished, it is up to the rescue service to judge.

Very useful and comprehensive FAQ their from Liseberg, which I am sure they will keep updated. I find it very sweet that they've included a section at the bottom of questions children might ask, including if the rabbits in Rabbit Land are ok!
Is Rabbit Land still there/How are the rabbits doing?
The rabbits are doing well, and Rabbit Land and all the rides in the park are still there.

Very useful and comprehensive FAQ their from Liseberg, which I am sure they will keep updated. I find it very sweet that they've included a section at the bottom of questions children might ask, including if the rabbits in Rabbit Land are ok!
That is a nice touch, I didn't notice that before.

It does seem like a good way to share information with the general public about a very complex and distressing incident. It's worrying to read that they've still not been able to fully extinguish the fire.

Here is the link to the FAQs in English if anyone's Swedish is no better than mine: