• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

Re: Liseberg 2014: Project Helix Mack Megacoaster

Benzin said:
This will be the best coaster in Europe...

Simple as...

How about we wait until it's open first? ::)

Blue Fire, Mamba, OzIris, Shambhala, The Smiler, Raptor... there's been quite a few 'this'll be the best coaster in Europe, no doubt' and none of them have yet come close to toppling EGF after a decade. :)

Debatable, many consider that Blue Fire has topped EGF by now.

Harvey. said:
Debatable, many consider that Blue Fire has topped EGF by now.

Nobody I know who's been on both does. :p

I've just checked our Mitch Hawker poll from last year - it turns out you know at least a couple of people who do!

On the full poll, nearly 30% of people preferred Blue Fire to EGF, so it's not an insignificant amount by any means.

Sam said:
Nobody I know who's been on both does. :p

*Ahem*

Although it's using the same ride system as Blue Fire, I get the feeling that Helix is going to be a very different experience. Despite its dark ride section and the ominous music that was used in that section when it opened, Blue Fire is not a ride that feels menacing at all. Helix looks like it'll feel much darker and more serious. The layouts are also massively different; for me Blue Fire is a series of prominent track elements that flow neatly into each other, whereas the virtual POVs I've seen of Helix make me think more about the 'always doing something' approach that Gerstlauer take to layout design. Maybe I'm wrong, but it'll be interesting to hopefully find out next year.

I still can't say I like the styling of the rolling stock much, but the track already looks lovely. The end result could well look stunning.

Sorry, both of you are right, and I went a bit off-topic there.

Just pointing out that it seems a little hasty to already crown this or predict this to be the best coaster in Europe, when there are 822 of them. ;)

We won't know until it opens, no amount of virtual POV's will predict exactly how the ride will pace. If it's sluggish through those elements it will be average.

Hence why Stengal said "IF you get this right it will be one of the best coasters in the world" (paraphrased). Not "this will be" and he is the worlds expert on coaster design.

It looks promising though!

These Macks are difficult to get right. With an OTSR looper you just want it hitting the inversions as fast as possible for maximum positive force. With the Mack lapbar megas, it's a lot more difficult as you want some of them at just the right speed to creating hang time (BluFi's roll).

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

For my money, Liseberg already has the best coaster in Europe. Whilst many might not agree with that statement, the fact that the park already has one of the world's best coasters in the form of Balder seems to have been criminally overlooked in this thread.

Before Helix can even think about being the best coaster on the continent, it has to best the one on the opposite side of the park which if it still rides like it did in 2009 is a very tall order. I reckon if everything comes together though, it could do it.

Can I just say the i'm going on this in 2 years! i'm so happy, also is project Helix its actual name or is that a code name or somthing?

There's some new pictures here (courtesy of TPR) of more Helix stuff and also of Liseberg's Christmasy stuff going on.

This park looks stunning! I have never paid too much attention to it before Helix.

Those Christmas pictures look beautiful. Am I missing something? How do people rate this place?

Liseberg open very little at Christmas.

Although quite small, the park is home to one of Europe's top coasters, Balder, and also one of the most classic, Lisebergbanan. And next year, with Helix, it gets better.

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

AstroDan said:
Liseberg open very little at Christmas.

Although quite small, the park is home to one of Europe's top coasters, Balder, and also one of the most classic, Lisebergbanan. And next year, with Helix, it gets better.

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Helix looks phenomenal. I was on AA route planner last night after those pictures!

I am not exactly well traveled, so I got a shock.

I found Balder to be a bit over-rated, but still a class act.

Now, Lisebergbanan is stunning. I could ride it all day long and not get bored. I'm really looking forward to going back to Liseberg next year.

Re: Liseberg 2014: Helix - Mack Megacoaster

wow, it looks so good, even tho the site is mud, footers, and bits of track and supports around the place, this is going to be an amazing ride :)

Not the most inspiring video I have ever seen. Doesn't quite do it for me that one, some parts I still find myself wondering how it will ride, but it doesn't quite seem as imposing just yet.

No doubt this will change as it progresses, I guess I just didn't find the video that inspiring really.

Omg THIS YEAR MACK WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD XXX