• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

Helix's queue is simple and makes no attempt to be themed, so you can't be cross at it for that. I'm not much for the basic modern look, but I know many people do like that so I have live with it (certainly looks better than Silver Star's queue). :p Smiler's indoor queue's nothing special and I don't see why people rave about it. Ruined stickers, average projection mapping and the odd strobe to remind you that you're in a hot metal box. It's hardly theme park-worthy stuff we're talking about. And neither are the things which Helix has got, but again, Lieberg doesn't pretend it's a theme park attraction (or itself as a theme park, actually *cough Cedar Fair).

The exterior of Helix's station looks poor now, but I assume the ivy, grass and other types of vegetation will sort it out once that has grown. Smiler's exterior has literally no redeeming features.

Not every roller coaster has to have a theme.

Sometimes it is just about showcasing the technology and driving the focus towards an idea, which is that of it blending into the landscape around it. It is sleek, modern, stylish, to me it's like an S-Class Mercedes compared to the brash over the top "Hummer" we have at Alton Towers.

What it has set out to be, it's achieved to an exceptional level. This is without doubt a world class coaster, you don't need to ride that to tell. Oblivion and Nemesis were the last two world class coasters made in the UK. I really love The Smiler, the logo particularly and the idea behind it - but the execution of this for a company the size of Merlin is unforgivable, and now the Oblivion logo thing too it's got NO soul. Helix clearly has.

The Smiler COULD have been world class. Helix IS world class.

I miss the thanks button! I agree with TheMan completely!

Helix isn't themed, it's just beautifully styled. It's going to look even more stunning once all of the vegetation on the hill has grown back as well as the planting on the station itself.

:)

Not all rides need to be themed but that wasn't the point of my post, it was stated this put one in the eye for Merlin. I simply said that if a Merlin park themed as sparsely as Helix the geeks on this forum would complain.

Personally i find the stylisation of helix a little dated and basic but i don't think i will care when i get on the ride as that looks right up my alley.

But Liseberg is an amusement park, whereas Merlin operate theme parks. It's fair to complain when theme parks add unthemed rides because it contradicts their very ethos.

Theme parks offer themed experiences and amusement parks offer styled rides. Helix has a style, not a full theme.

BigAl said:
But Liseberg is an amusement park, whereas Merlin operate theme parks. It's fair to complain when theme parks add unthemed rides because it contradicts their very ethos.

Theme parks offer themed experiences and amusement parks offer styled rides. Helix has a style, not a full theme.

I am not the one who made the comparison with Merlin

I believe it was made to attack Merlin, i applaud the sentiment but don't agree with the hypothesis.

I think people are focusing on the ride hardware rather than the theming anyway. It's clearly an excellent coaster, so just imagine combining a ride like this with a proper theme park environment and making it an experience, not just a ride?

BigAl said:
I think people are focusing on the ride hardware rather than the theming anyway. It's clearly an excellent coaster, so just imagine combining a ride like this with a proper theme park environment and making it an experience, not just a ride?

Seen as the Smiler rates in the top 30's of Mitch Hawker and 2nd in the UK i'm not too worried about Hardware.... though i get your point.

Liseberg have said that they want to add to the coaster over the years, when they have more money and time. Plus the secret 2016 project!

One of my complaints is the little cut through the rocks as the train dives towards the helix before the second launch. That's just begging for a waterfall on either side! :p

BigAl said:
Smiler's currently in the top 40, but for how long? :twirly:

It's the first coaster in the UK to score so highly in a long time. It wont likely drop that quickly unless the other 4 trains get as crap as the one crap train quickly.

But i bemoan the simplistic approach some enthusiasts throw at the UK problem, fact is it's easy to make attacks on Merlin but it hardly advances our cause to those in Merlin who read these forums.... We need a balanced pov which shows the likes of Wodan to Merlin to prove a slightly above average ride with epic theming does just as well as a above average ride with crap theming. Rather than showing an above average ride with ikea theming.

Joke about part of the ride sinking, not just the two bad trains, but whatever! :p

BigAl said:
Joke about part of the ride sinking, not just the two bad trains, but whatever! :p

So a ride that sunk still rates 2nd best in the UK.

Imagine the amazingness the UK could have with decent project management and not using TG Cruise.

Turning into a comedy debate this ;D I love this forum haha!!

I don't think it's fair to compare it to Ikea lol - though it is funny ;D.

I think the point of Helix is the style and feel it has, it's clearly subjective as I think it looks stunning and will clearly grow into something quite beautiful. I'm not sure I'd even like this coaster to be themed as the whole surrounding points to "Look at this stunning ride". That's the experience in this case. It's modern and minimalist and like that style or not, it pulls that off quite beautifully.

The point is, whatever style you are aiming for, do that style to the best you can - with the resources available to Merlin The Smiler was a wasted opportunity. They operate theme parks, with the pinnacle park always being about incredible themes and fantastic creative/inventive ground breaking rides. The Smiler is 3 million quid away from being exactly that and Merlin could have heralded a true world class coaster/theme because the idea/ride itself are fantastic. The execution however, and opportunity to put it right after a troubled build/first year has not been.

Dave said:
BigAl said:

So a ride that sunk still rates 2nd best in the UK.

Imagine the amazingness the UK could have with decent project management and not using TG Cruise.

Or you could say it shows how bad things are here! ;)

Seriously though, I don't pay attention to polls as they're never not bias. UK enthusiasts will generally vote for their coasters and those in the US usually act as if there aren't any decent rides beyond their shores. Coasters also get inaccurate ratings in their first couple of years, hence why CoasterForce stopped letting people vote for how much they enjoyed the ride until months after people had settled and got a more sensible, informed opinion. Remember how Swarm was "better than Nemesis" in it's first few months, according to quite a number of enthusiasts? ;) I'd rather try something for myself as I discovered that EP's mouse and bobs are far better than what people make them out to be. But that doesn't apply to all who vote, just a good portion. Same with this. I might think Helix isn't that good, once I've tried it.

:p

Mitch hawker mostly pulls out that bias based on weighting votes on compareable rides and how voters correlate, hence why it's trusted more than other polls.

Point being the hardware isn't the problem if we can still get rides in the top 50, it's the whole package that needs sorting and I don't think Helix is the example I would use to show Merlin what is possible. For my money rides like Woodan set the standard!

Well Helix can show Merlin that coasters don't need USP this and world first that to get people riding and loving a coaster. It's also another great example of a terrain coaster - something that would suit Alton Towers exceptionally well!

Especially if that were to be made from wood! *hint, hint* ;)

Both Helix and Wodan should show Merlin that you no not need a gimmick or silly USP to create a brilliant and popular attraction. Helix and Wodan do it in different ways but neither have anything that special about them (in terms of things that have never been done before). They are both just fantastic coasters; one is styled and landscaped very well and the other is possibly the best themed wooden coaster in the world.

Both coasters would actually fit Towers very well, although you would want a themed version of Helix at Towers and you would have a different theme for Wodan.