• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

Thank you @Rob for renewing my hope for this coaster!

I know no one has slated it, but I was as memorized by this development as you was and the less than emphatic reviews concerned me!

I shall reinstate my expectations!

I think the less than empathetic reviews came from everyone expecting one of, if not, the best coaster on the planet and rode it with expectations that were too high. Don't get me wrong, Helix is an astounding coaster, but it's best to ride with low expectations and let it blow your mind. Failing that, front row at night will solve any problems you have with it ;)

Failing that, front row at night will solve any problems you have with it ;)

I said when it was announced with the location and the views, that front row at night was when I would judge this coaster. Much like Nemesis they somehow come alive and elevate a brilliant coaster to something absolutely indescribably brilliant.

I would ride in the day as preparation for a night ride, no two ways about it.

It is truly stunning looking at the view at night on front row. Simply sublime, wish I could have taken a quick photo before boarding! I can pretty much share Rob's opinion of Helix. :)

The park have started a teaser campaign for their 2015 ride, which will probably be an updated Zierer Star Shape, like Bling at Blackpool.

Check out this awesome teaser video starring the CEO painting an enigmatic cross with spray paint.

We have put a cross in the Park. What do you think we are going to build? #lisebergsnyhet2015 (Translated by Bing)
— at Liseberg.

They seem to be quite well received on the whole, but I hope it doesn't look too fair ground.

The most fairground like attraction that Liseberg has in the form of Spin Rock isn't actually that obtrusive (apart from when @Cheese is pulling the fairy lights off it and handing them to a shocked ride op), so I wouldn't be too worried even if they didn't do anything with it.

But considering they're going down the marketing campaign route, I'd put a bet on a theme. I'd argue that having the parks CEO in the marketing video speaks volumes about the upcoming attraction, but then again, he's just as much of a geek as we are.

Interesting ride choice though if they are going for some form of Star Shape, but it's nice to see they're going back down the thrill ride path after polishing up on catering for the families as well as building one truly breathtaking coaster.

Imagine if Merlin had someone like this in charge?

We'd have a gamut of world class attractions.

Imagine if Merlin had someone like this in charge?

We'd have a gamut of world class attractions.

Yeah, great, Merlin suck.

But what does that post even mean? At least three Merlin parks (Garda, Towers and Thorpe) already have 'a gamut of world class attractions'. The hardware at Towers is probably only second to Cedar Point and Magic Mountain - and certainly better than Liseberg's. *rolls eyes*

Wait sorry, I forgot. Merlin suck!

But what does that post even mean? At least three Merlin parks (Garda, Towers and Thorpe) already have 'a gamut of world class attractions'. The hardware at Towers is probably only second to Cedar Point and Magic Mountain - and certainly better than Liseberg's. *rolls eyes*

The parks you listed certainly have a gamut (had to look up what that means) of expensive hardware but that doesn't always translate into world class attractions. Most of Merlin's recent installations have been rushed into existence and lack the planning and development that could have allowed them to deliver the potential that the hardware offers. Liseberg are much better at delivering high quality attractions with the resources available to them.

I personally think that Liseberg's ride lineup is better than any Merlin park's. There's a good balance of many different types of rides ( I personally think Alton has far too many coasters in comparison to other ride types) and there are very few weak links in the ride lineup. The only one that sticks out in my memory is the suspended dark ride thing. I think it's always better to have a small number of high quality rides than many rides of varying quality.

The hardware at Towers is second to more parks than just Cedar Point and Magic Mountain. Yes we are lucky in that Towers does have some great rides and expensive hardware, which we do probably take for granted at times, but there are many parks that have equal or better (both Busch parks, Great Adventure, IOA to name but a few).

I think TheMan's point was that Andreas Andersen is such a passionate leader of his theme park and he is taking the park in an exciting direction. Yes Merlin invest in some pretty impressive hardware but you don't see the same care and attention that parks like Liseberg and EP take.

:)

I do think that the overall selection of attractions at Alton Towers is better than Liseberg. Not to say of course that Liseberg do really well within their means, but still...

Obviously I 'prefer' Liseberg in terms of the way it is run/the love that seems to go into things - but Alton Towers does have far more clout when it comes to sheer volume.

Yes @Rob exactly the point I am making thank you. Rather more eloquently put.

It seems at the moment @Sam if I say anything to do with Merlin you have rather an obsession with making out as Merlin hate. Perhaps I should hand over the entirety of my posts to you in future as you seem to enjoy putting words in my mouth that aren't there.

@AstroDan totally agree with Towers, it's not like I don't like the place, just in case anyone doubts that, in fact given I was outspoken in my disappointment at seeing aspects of the ever brilliant Oblivion being copied into other parks, and my love of Nemesis not just because it's at Towers but because it is still brilliant, I think most here know the direction of my ire.

I have plenty of frustration with Alton Towers and indeed Merlin, and the likes of Liseberg far outdo Alton Towers when it comes to certain areas - such as general 'love' and TLC on display, opening hours and much more... But one thing Alton Towers will always have - regardless of difficulties or stupid decisions - is a very good selection of rides.

@AstroDan Agree, this is why I said I would love to see what would happen with someone like Andreas in charge of Merlin or Towers, with some real clout. We know it works, Wardley proved that, we are missing someone of that ilk now that Liseberg has.

Saying that, I don't want him leaving Liseberg until I have at least visited it first :D

It seems at the moment @Sam if I say anything to do with Merlin you have rather an obsession with making out as Merlin hate. Perhaps I should hand over the entirety of my posts to you in future as you seem to enjoy putting words in my mouth that aren't there.

Don't worry, you aren't the only one. Sometimes I think Sam is the very last remaining Merlin fan.

@AstroDan Agree, this is why I said I would love to see what would happen with someone like Andreas in charge of Merlin or Towers, with some real clout. We know it works, Wardley proved that, we are missing someone of that ilk now that Liseberg has.

Saying that, I don't want him leaving Liseberg until I have at least visited it first :D

Don't worry, you aren't the only one. Sometimes I think Sam is the very last remaining Merlin fan.

Err no, I just don't like clichéd trashings of Merlin being brought up in topics where they are completely irrelevant, as happens to almost every topic on the forum. How exactly is Merlin being rubbish relevant to a discussion of Liseberg's new ride? It isn't, and it's boring to read over and over and over again.

Sorry @Sam you're just talking nonsense now.

I didn't use the word rubbish once, I said it would be good to have someone like Andreas in charge of Merlin whose vision would inevitably, much like John Wardley, potentially improve the general direction of the parks from the top down.

YOU used the word rubbish.

And frankly on an ALTON TOWERS forum, suggesting it would be nice to have someone who had the vision and bravery to install such a phenomenal world class attraction at a relatively small park at the head of the group that RUNS ALTON TOWERS I think is a perfectly legitimate and relevant suggestion.

So again, stop putting words in my mouth. If you want someone to be mad at go and find someone else.