• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

I would not be surprised if either a gas or chemical leak lead to the overall explosion, gases would have potentially risen into the slide tower and ignited causing the explosion, there is also a possibility of gas bottles being in use on the site for welding etc again if these were heated and exploded as part of the original fire it would also make sense.

The Gothenburg Post has been covering the story all afternoon and if you scroll a little further down there's a live view of the scene at the moment too. After looking like things were getting under control, in the last 10-15 minutes the top of the slide tower has caught fire again:
Screenshot at Feb 12 16-26-13.png
You can see just how much the roof of the main hall as been damaged, and an earlier view shows the front of the hall completely buckled outwards too.
Screenshot at Feb 12 16-25-45.png
Such a shame to see such a huge project for the park's centenary in ruins, especially after getting so close to the finish line. It was looking like a cracking project which would've really rounded Liseberg off as a fully fledged resort, especially after the excellent Grand Curiosa opened last year.

I guess the only saving grace is the layout of Oceana means there's a buffer between the main hall and Grand Curiosa in the form of the planned outdoor area. If it was closer, there could've been a real risk of damage spreading to the hotel.

outdoorarea_02.jpg
Image: Liseberg / Behind The Thrills

If it’s still under construction it will likely be the construction firms insurance that will be covering it.

Good point. So they should be covered on the financial end but it's still a devastating blow to them obviously.

That extra gate will have been in the making for a good number of years and to have it all ended in the matters of hours right before it was due to open must be heartbreaking for them. Hopefully they will recover.

Genuinely one of my favourite parks I have visited. Absolutely loved it there.

The Press Release on Liseberg’s site is currently stating that one person is still missing from the fire:

A person who works in the project on behalf of Liseberg is still missing and the police have filed a missing person report. A total of sixteen people have sought medical care for minor injuries, all have left the hospital.

“We are deeply appalled by the devastating event that occurred at Oceana Vattenvärld. Our main task now is to assist the police in the search for the missing person and to support relatives and victims”, says Liseberg CEO Andreas Andersen.

That’s really not good news at all if someone has unfortunately been seriously injured in the fire 😞

The Press Release on Liseberg’s site is currently stating that one person is still missing from the fire:

That’s really not good news at all if someone has unfortunately been seriously injured in the fire 😞
That's awful. Praying for a miracle that they're found safe. The press release states that the police have filed a missing person report.
It also states that they will be hosting a press conference tomorrow at 11 am Swedish time.

Gothenburg Post has updated it's blurb on the link provided by Craig.

It now states 22 people injured, with one man missing, his relatives have been informed.
BBC News are reporting that the cause is still unknown but the fire is being investigated as a "workplace accident".

There was a press conference this morning which confirmed that the fire started in a slide and spread very quickly. The "smoke explosions" as they have been described occurred relatively early on in the fire.

Unfortunately there is still one person missing, and emergency services are not able to access parts of the building due to safety concerns following heavy damage.

The changing rooms, cafés, staff rooms and operating areas were saved from the fire, but needless to say none of these are any use without a waterpark which is almost certainly going to need to be ripped down.

Finally, I am not totally clued up on how these things work in Sweden but it has currently been classified as a crime; gross negligence endangering the public. There are no current suspects.

Source of all the above - Dagens Nyheter.

I would imagine two years at least until they're rebuilt and ready to open. Obviously the end of the hall has buckled out from the explosion, but if you look at the video of it again you'll see the whole hall physically lifted up from the blast. I can't see that being remotely safe now, so it'll need to be totally demolished prior to rebuilding.

In terms of criminal investigation, I don't think that's a surprise again considering how quickly it went up.

It's difficult to tell how finished the slide tower was, but questions will certainly be asked about the speed the fire spread considering how close it was to opening. I wouldn't be surprised to see extra time taken to make design changes off the back of it too.

I would imagine two years at least until they're rebuilt and ready to open. Obviously the end of the hall has buckled out from the explosion, but if you look at the video of it again you'll see the whole hall physically lifted up from the blast. I can't see that being remotely safe now, so it'll need to be totally demolished prior to rebuilding.

In terms of criminal investigation, I don't think that's a surprise again considering how quickly it went up.

It's difficult to tell how finished the slide tower was, but questions will certainly be asked about the speed the fire spread considering how close it was to opening. I wouldn't be surprised to see extra time taken to make design changes off the back of it too.
Can you post the video of the explosion your referring to I have only see tge slide tower explosion not the main hall

This is a horrific fire, for something to be completely destroyed so close to opening is such a blow for the park.

That fact that a person is missing is very sad and concerning.

One can't help but wonder though about the materials used, I would not have expected a water park to be quite that flammable. And thought there's always a higher risk of fires during construction works (case in point: Notre Dame) a fire could start for any reason, as we've seen at Europa park, and if that waterpark had been full of people I can't imagine there wouldn't have been a lot of fatalities 😞

There's an interesting photo on Twitter showing the early stages of the fire. In a reply to that tweet, it would appear to be the green "smaller slide" that is referred to and is shown in the earlier photo

From: https://twitter.com/Tom_i_Bollen/status/1756995155817566604

Now my guess would be that fire filled the slide tower with smoke and gases from the burning plastic which ended with the explosion that we saw later on. The spread of the fire was likely accelerated thanks to the slides not running with water. Whether that results in a design change as a result, or whether it's just a really unfortunate unlikely set of circumstances remains to be seen. I guess it'll all depend on what set the fire off on the slide in the first place.

I'd been trying to work out which bit of slide had caught fire initially but hadn't found a good enough pre-fire photo to be sure, but seeing that it definitely does look to be that smaller green slide.

I guess the nature of enclosed slides like this means that smoke, gases and very hot air all went up the slide very quickly. Sounds like it did not take long for it to escalate from a slide of fire to multiple explosions.

There's a video of the press conference here if anyone wants to watch it;

From: https://www.youtube.com/live/GW1vWY4XAQM?si=50egBpmwEPIsknpF