• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Magic Mountain 2013: "Full Throttle" terrain hugging launch coaster

LiamC said:
What's the speed of this, sorry I haven't followed the rides specification much.

Isn't it going to need to be travelling at a considerable speed to clear that loop? I can't believe the size of it :eek:

It's a 70mph launch I believe.

A month or so ago, Screamscape had heard that Magic Mountain's Colossus might be getting the 'Iron Horse' treatment from RMC. Turns out they were correct:

2015/2016 - Rumor - Iron Colossus - (4/15/13) According to the latest rumors the Iron Horse treatment for Colossus has been slotted to reopen for 2015, though there is a slight chance it could be pushed back to 2016 if the stars align on another project first. Unlike the quick transformation of Rattler at Fiesta Texas, this is expected to be more of a major overhaul, more along the lines of the lengthy Texas Giant job. This will require the once mighty Colossus to be down for a period of 12-16 months. So for Colossus to be reborn in Spring 2015 it will end up having to close down to begin the project in Late 2013. Stay tuned as we try to keep up to date on what could be the most important new coaster to ever open at ‘The Mountain’ that could create an all time new world record for the park that may never be broken.

Interesting that Medusa over at Six Flags Mexico might be getting the same treatment also!

That backwards launch doesn't look very powerful. Kind of pointless really. It wouldn't surprise me if they ditched it after a couple of seasons to speed things up and get more riders per hour out of it.

BigAl said:
That backwards launch doesn't look very powerful. Kind of pointless really. It wouldn't surprise me if they ditched it after a couple of seasons to speed things up and get more riders per hour out of it.

Looks like it might be necessary to prevent rollbacks though. If there were only a running LSM launch after the inversion and it rolled back then it would have to be winched up the inversion to get enough speed into the launch to get it over the top hat.

To get rid of the backwards launch they'd have to speed up the forwards launch, basically :p

It's basically a rolling LSM launch anyway, except because you're launched backwards first, the train has lost speed as it doesn't have enough speed to make it through the inversion (obviously), but it then rolls forwards again, reaches the launch at a lower speed than when it reached that point before, then it gets launched for the final time.

LSMs are very reliable, especially from Premier, so I doubt there will be any roll backs. I think even though its a gimmick, the technology is astounding. To get the LSMs to change like that, with that amount of speed is amazing. Premier really do have LSM tech mastered.

It would be less likely to roll back without the backwards launch, as the train would be entering the forward launch faster.

Thanks for posting that POV, Joseph =) Looks like a decent ride, although I feel it doesn't look better than Gatekeeper.

It's too short! There should be at least another 20 seconds of track after that top hat, seems ridiculous having it right at the end of the ride.

Who cares if it's short if there's that much air on the top hat. The riders are literally thrown out of their seats, and with the brakes, it'll feel very strange. Looks like a decent mix of hang-time and positive G's as well.

However, the track looks really awkward and twitchy, especially on the entry to pull-up on the top hat, the dive loop and the exit of the loop. I understand that they needed to line up the loop with the top hat, but this is just poor from a brand new coaster.

I hope it's not finished. The station is horrific, even by Six Flags standards. And it looks like there's meant to be some effects for the second/third launches. It is also very short.

:)

Is that a clip of Pink Floyd's 'Welcome To The Machine' playing in the launch tunnel...?

I dunno, I think it looks fun! I think maybe The Smiler has warped our perceptions of length a bit. This isn't really that short, it's more average. It's about as long as Nemesis, Air, and probably quite a few other coasters in that park (Batman, Terminator, Superman etc...)

It looks like there's epic hangtime in the loop, particularly with just the lapbar. Other than that, not a lot about this coaster appeals to me. The launches look pretty gentle and the dive loop is nowhere near as aggressive as the 3D animations suggested.

It just comes across as a really lazy addition that was only built to add to the park's tally of coasters and claim the tallest loop record. It's almost the minimum they could have done. It would make a lot of sense for a smaller park but when you look at the other coasters SFMM has, it comes across as being a bit lacklustre. I'm sure it's a fun enough ride but you expect more from a park that has the likes of X2, Goliath and Tatsu.

I expected those turns to have a bit more force to them. And it looks extremely short. Loop, couple of turns, dive loop, top hat. Could have at least put a helix or something at the end.

That looks pretty fun tbh, and it offers one heck of a finale! Short, sweet but I'm still not convinced about the reverse launch. Probably would have been a better idea if it had been a reverse launch back up a top hat (not quite over it, obviously), but it can't launch the train backwards at a decent speed otherwise it'd go back through the inversion and probably valley upon returning to it.

As for what little theming it will receive, I'm sure it'll at least get a decent generic station of some kind. The actual station interiors for Nemesis and The Smiler (and the exterior in The Smiler's case) aren't anything to shout about, so it wouldn't take much to better either of them. :p

I genuinely think this looks rubbish.

Far, far worse than I expected. And I don't even know if I can state for sure what I expected.