• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges (Cancelled)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

So does this project rule out any family development projectness that year then?

I wouldn't expect the lodge development to have any effects upon the parks budget, I would imigion Alton towers/merlin would want as much development going as possible (which is the long term development plan) towers need to do as much as they can to keep them going in the right direction and not start suffering and let the resort to become to bad to save the magic it had

I think cost wise, it's probably somewhere around the £20-25million mark, considerably cheaper than a physical hotel (Splash Landings cost £40m 10 years ago!).

With Merlin combining the resort and park operations together under the Merlin Theme Park Resorts umbrella, it's difficult to say if would impact expansion on the park or not. However, it's going to fall during medium/low investment years anyway so on park development was never going to be off the scale in 2014 and 2015.

I think they will do something quite big, because then they can promote the lodges and the new attractions.

What opened the year ATH and Splash opened?

Surprised AT don't have some form of tree top adventure style course. Can see that in the pipeline...

I think ath opened in 1996 and splash in 2003.

In 1996 they had petter rabbit show And In 2003 they had duel and the tweenies show but they always have been in the middle of a major coaster

You missed one one or two things.

1996 (ATH Opened) - Theme Park Additions
- Storybook Land
- Squirrel Nutty (£3 million investment)

Petter Rabbit was not introduced to the park in 1996. It was added in 1994.

2003 (SLH Opened) - Theme Park Additions
- Ribena Berry Bish Bash (Now just known as Berry Bish Bash, as the sponsorship ended in '06)
- New Tweenies Show in Cred Street Theatre (replaced Barney's show)

Looking at how things have worked in the past I doubt the Lodges development will have that much of an impact on theme park development. A small to medium investment on park is certain to happen. The rumoured re-theme/possible merge of the children's areas on the park (Adventure Land, Storybook Land, Farmyard) seems highly likely.

2014 will certainly be a very family orientated year.

You have to make your occupancy figures look good, best way to do that is having a decent family attraction that year.

I expect 2014 to be a very well planned medium sized family attraction.

Out of interest.. Why was Squirrel Nutty so expensive for what it is!

I guess that was more than likely the budget for the entire Storybook, rather than just the Squirrel Nutty ride? But still, £3m is a staggering sum if correct!

£3 million isn't that much really. Certainly not by today's standards, granted it's much more by 1996 standards, but still, not an enormous investment.

The £3 million figure I got from TowersNerd, just incase anyone was wondering where I plucked it from. :) It's not really that much. But it does put into perspective that a resort investment does not necessarily affect theme park investments. I certainly expect a solid family addition to the theme park, most likely the new area that has been rumoured for quite some time now.

Just in case you guys hadn't spotted it, there is a page dedicated to this development on the TowersStreet main site, which condenses all the key information :).

I've only just managed to look at this action group, and it would appear some of their objections are actually founded from a worry about noise. Not necessarily about the residents being disturbed by guests in the development, but rather guests being disturbed by the JCB testing facility adjacent to the site.. in the sense they don't want JCB's land use to be at all restricted.

From the looks of the letter, apparently there was an application to build a similar development with 'chalets' back in 1986, for which concerns were raised at the time.

Also, they're a bit cheesed off with an apparent lack of communication between Towers and locals:

Whiston Action Group said:
No draft Alton Towers Long Term plan or draft SPD have been issued for community consultation. We understand that the District Council is relying upon Alton Towers and their advisers to produce these drafts. There has already been significant delay.

Do they mean the LTDP we're aware of?

The public consultation for the Lodge Development isn't due until February 5th 2013 according to the letter of objection, so I guess we have to wait until then to find out whether or not they'll be getting this. I really hope so, as its a charming little development and a much needed boost for budget accommodation.

Sazzle said:
The public consultation for the Lodge Development isn't due until February 5th 2013 according to the letter of objection, so I guess we have to wait until then to find out whether or not they'll be getting this. I really hope so, as its a charming little development and a much needed boost for budget accommodation.

Budget accomodation? I have a feeling the lodges will cost a lot more than the hotels. In a hotel you have one room built into the hotel. Here you have your own individual lodge!

Exactly. These are premium detatched suites, not sheds with beds like Tipidorf at EP. They will easily cost double what a room in Splash does.

It will be interesting to see what happens to pricing with these and the hotels. I can't see the lodges as being a budget option, they look too nice and spacious for that. What I think will happen is that the prices of rooms in Splash and ATH will fall due to a higher capacity on Resort, so the hotels become more affordable. I really have no idea how they will decide to price these lodges.

:)

Well if the new accommodation isn't marketed as budget, then I'd like to see the hotel prices come down! I can't imagine full capacity will be reached if the prices remain at their current levels across the board.

I've never stayed in a Center Parcs, but I would think they have a much wider variety of activities, eateries and leisure facilities available? Anyway, just out of interest, I've looked up a Friday to Monday (3 nights) stay at Sherwood Forest, beginning on 5th July 2013. Its showing me availability for a two bed villa and is priced at £419. Amenities include:

Center Parcs said:
Typical Amenities
• Double bed x 1 • Twin beds x 1 • Open fireplace• Multi channel TV • Private patio area • Outdoor furniture • Bathroom with over the bath shower • Gas oven and hob • Fridge • Microwave • Cot and high chair

List of on-site eateries etc

List of on-site activities

Now I know Towers have this amazing theme park (right?), a (small) spa and a waterpark, but what can they offer in terms of evening entertainment, variety of places to eat, activities outside of the park/waterpark/spa?

In essence I guess what I'm digging at, is that a weekend stay at Center Parcs in similar accommodation with a lot more to offer re: overall package, is quite cheap as it is. Towers surely can't justifiably price these new lodges/holes/huts any higher than this?

Sazzle said:
In essence I guess what I'm digging at, is that a weekend stay at Center Parcs in similar accommodation with a lot more to offer re: overall package, is quite cheap as it is. Towers surely can't justifiably price these new lodges/holes/huts any higher than this?

After seeing how much Thorpe are charging to stay in a shipping container, then I wouldn't put it past Towers! ;)

I'm really not overly sure how they will price them. We know they won't be overly budget as if that was the plan they would not be given permission to build them due to it taking trade away from cheaper B&B options in the surrounding area. But then the with the lodges only having basic amenities it may be hard for them to fully justify a premium price.

Took the words right out of my mouth Rob. The fact that Merlin are charging stupid prices to stay in a shipping container does not bode well for the pricing of these lodges.

They should be 25% less than the hotels, if you ask me.

Therefore, prices in season should range per person between £20 and £45pppn, depending on the time of year.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.