• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges (Cancelled)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

This is probably going to end up like the Hotel extension application a few years back anyway. Eventually granted, only to expire several years later because the 'time wasn't right'.

I really hope this doesn't just quietly slip away... Because it seems like such a good project for the resort!

It seems this great idea is slipping away, they need so much doing to the resort it's getting to point where its going downhill

I think there is a strategic decision to be made soon as to whether Alton Towers becomes a dedicated theme park with accomodation or a true resort.

If this doesn't go ahead I can never see Alton Towers further expanding accommodation. If this has been difficult with locals it doesn't bode out well for the future.

It will be a real shame if this doesn't go ahead. It could really impact upon the future of the resort. By this I mean non-theme park additions such as an entertainments complex or a second entrance to the park for hotel guests etc. I must admit that it's starting to look unlikely, especially for 2014. They seemed so sure of it initially as well.

:)

I thought the only thing people were worried about was the proximity the site would be to the JCB testing ground? What else is worrying people about this project?

BigAl said:
I thought the only thing people were worried about was the proximity the site would be to the JCB testing ground? What else is worrying people about this project?

From what I read of the group that raised an issue its the usual NIMBY stuff

What do they have to complain about though? The thing itself won't generate any noise (or anything that could be heard from outside the park) and anything visible from outside of the park shouldn't stand out much as they're designed to work with rather than against their surroundings. Is it purely because it's a theme park that's behind this?

Anyway if they can't build there, perhaps they should bring them across to the large field by the two hotels (leaving space for a third hotel next to the AT hotel though)? I'd love to see a bigger resort as the chance of more activities for when the park isn't open becomes a little greater.

I think the main arguments are more traffic in the area and locals thinking that this will damage local B&Bs/hotels. Although as I've said to a few people, this is Alton Towers, so therefore prices will be high nonetheless, so will not affect local businesses at all.

Problem is, if there has been a high volume of objections from locals, the council has to carefully go through it before coming to a final decision with the application. It's a pain, but they have to take objections very seriously.

If they're worried about traffic, it might have helped if Alton Towers had built that road they'd said about using the money (or some of it) from parking charges. I also agree that accommodation at Alton Towers wouldn't really interfere with local hotels and B&Bs as they pricing would still be much higher due to the fact that you're already in the resort and they're (hopefully) going to be as well-themed as what we saw in the initial concept art.

shouldnt construction be starting soon on this?

ThemeParkJack said:
JB1985 said:

Yup, construction should start very soon. Its not like they have loads of time.
They don't even have approval yet, so construction won't start until that happens.

Jonathan said:
ThemeParkJack said:
JB1985 said:

Yup, construction should start very soon. Its not like they have loads of time.
They don't even have approval yet, so construction won't start until that happens.
How do you know the lodges haven't been approved?

It is listed on the Staffordshire Moorlands District Councils planning site that it hasn't.

I really hope these DO get approved as this would be a fantastic, much needed development for the Resort as a whole. I can't see it causing any significant issues (to the locals), as the traffic increase for the accommodations proposed will be so minimal they won't even be noticed.

T said:
I really hope these DO get approved as this would be a fantastic, much needed development for the Resort as a whole. I can't see it causing any significant issues (to the locals), as the traffic increase for the accommodations proposed will be so minimal they won't even be noticed.
Exactly. The resort's needed new accommodation for a long time, and this offers something different to what we're used to at theme parks in this country. It's got more of a charm to it than the Crash Pad at Thorpe, although that's not really very hard. :p

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

Jon, my garden shed has more charm than the Crash Pad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.