• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass

Can't see the fuss over the Fastrack and birthday perks. The price hasn't had a dramatic increase yet you get three free fastracks and a free birthday perk. It's not like they have inflated the price by 30 odd quid to cover themselves, it's a nice perk.

It's not a free FastTrack, it's a voucher which requires additional spending, so is a clever way of up selling before even setting foot in the park.

Ian

IMO I think its actually very clever what they have done - If you break down the perks of the Premium pass -

Parking - Cost - Very minimal, just the attendants so really its virtually pure profit.

Fastrack - Fastrack costs them virtually nothing to produce - The £5.00 in each park may get you on to one ride but if there are more than one of your in the party they will also buy fastracks so effectively they are making even more money. If no one was to have the voucher the party may not bother, but as someone wants to use the voucher at least one other person will purchase a voucher.

Birthday Tickets - Now this is the most clever "perk" in my opinion. So you have 3 friends and its your birthday, you can use the 3 tickets and get them in for £10.00 quid each! Not only is it good value for your friends but it is introducing people that may not have necessarily thought of going to a theme park, possibly generating new returning customers, or in the best case scenario, a new annual pass convert. They will also tell thier friends about their day out and, in most cases spend on ancillary revenue streams such as photographs, food and games.

Really its very clever, making it look like a perk but also using it as a virtually free marketing ploy.

IanB said:
It's not a free FastTrack, it's a voucher which requires additional spending, so is a clever way of up selling before even setting foot in the park.

Ian

I don't get you. Do you mean we'll have to buy these fast tracks extra?

It doesn't necessarily require additional spending as you can buy it for some single rides for £5 or less. I still find it a virtually useless gimmick as you're most likely going to end up buying for those in your party or talking them into purchasing it.

I doubt many people will use the Fastrack voucher. 70-80% of people on this forum visit UK theme parks so much (especially Alton) that it makes a 'free' Fastrack perk pretty redundant. The fact that if you're buying a pass it implies you visit UK parks a fair few times that adds to just how pointless it is.

It is clearly a perk to attract those who do not currently hold an annual pass.

^ That's exactly how I see it James. Also most of us will try to visit theme parks when they are quiet therefore making Fastrack pointless.

And the birthday perk is useless to me as my birthday is in November. :p

Lottie. said:
And the birthday perk is useless to me as my birthday is in November. :p

My Birthday's in November too, but on the 7th, so I could probably get in during fireworks, or during the period between scarefest and fireworks (when it should be quieter).

I bought a Premium Merlin Annual Pass in November this year. Will I still class for the benefits of the Privilege Pack containing:

* Birthday Club - Bring 3 friends for £10 each

* One Fastrack at Theme Parks (Worth £15. *excluding LEGOLAND Windsor Resort)

Also how does one go about it? Do the fastrack tickets get sent to my address which is registered with my card? Or has this information not been published yet?

When you buy an Annual Pass you buy it on the terms advertised at the time, if you bought it before the new perks were announced you officially can't get the new pack.

I honestly still don't understand the issues being raised here. The price has basically stayed the same yet they have added things rather than taken away.

Yet even though things have been added they're still written off as pointless and a gimmick.

Scott said:
I honestly still don't understand the issues being raised here. The price has basically stayed the same yet they have added things rather than taken away.

Yet even though things have been added they're still written off as pointless and a gimmick.

It is possible for things to be added that are pointless gimmicks.

No one has really written in a negative tone or has any issue with it. I certainly have no issues with the added perks. Merlin has done well to not up the price and to add something that will attract those who do not currently hold a pass. Although the new perks are pretty pointless for the majority of those who already hold an annual pass (apart from the birthday perk though if you have non-pass holder friends).

This is going to sound like blasphmey here but i honestly think the 500 pound pass is the better deal unlimited fast track at 90quid a go in 5 trips its paid for its self plus the london amusenents i have registerd my intrest however the only problem i see is how do you use it unless you talk your mates into forking out for fast track (still want one tho)

VIP is a good deal... IF you visit the parks and buy an unlimited Fastrack that many times in a year - otherwise you're paying extra for something you've managed without before.

Of course if you're happy to pay that much and can afford it then fair enough! As for the friends thing, unless Merlin will allow people to tack onto the unlimited fastrack (unlikely) it looks as though you'll be riding alone...

What would happen if someone decided that they were willing to pay for the VIP pass but had renewed their premium pass only in October? Could Merlin miss out on a fair few VIP sales in its first year because of this? Or am I missing something?

BarryZola said:
What would happen if someone decided that they were willing to pay for the VIP pass but had renewed their premium pass only in October? Could Merlin miss out on a fair few VIP sales in its first year because of this? Or am I missing something?

There might be an option to upgrade to a VIP pass, like you can upgrade from a standard to a premium pass (£35 or £40 I think).

Be daft not to offer a cross grade or upgrade.

I tell you if I had the cash I would rip their hands off for that. I know some will look scornfully at me for it, but meh.

I'd happily go along on my own and do the rides all day. I enjoy the social days, and the quiet ones, question is though, if you can go that often (especially on quieter days) is it really worth it? Last year was an anomaly with Smiler opening so late, I remember Th13455teen being busy it's opening season with the issues it caused too. I got quite annoyed I could never get there on a quiet day.

It makes sense if you can only get there on weekends but like to go often and don't mind going on your own.

I think the quantity they released will reflect that across their park range, especially Thorpe with London money knocking around.

I just hope that they factor these passes in when they set the volume sold on a daily basis (though I doubt it).

Also, I will be very surprised if Merlin do not allow you to have your Birthday vouchers inside the season opening. It is in their best interests to bring visitors through the door, we all know revenue inside the park is becoming ever more important rather than gate.

Personally I think it is a cracking little idea, and works well for everyone, I certainly have no qualms with businesses winning customers by providing a better value product or enticement. That is precisely how business should be run. Great idea from them and a wonderful little perk.

The VIP pass is utterly useless unless either the people you go to parks with buys one too, or they buy unlimited fastrack on the day. Otherwise you're going to the park with people and you can't use your fastrack as they haven't got it.