• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass

Guys is there any discount into Portaventura with merlin passes ? I'm sure at some stage there was ?! Cheers
Used to be with the Tussauds pass but they stopped being involved with PA a long time ago.
Looking at Wikipedia Tussauds actually sold their share in 1998 but I’m sure their annual passes had a discount in the 2000s. Don’t think Merlin passes ever have given PA discount though, only the Tussauds ones.

Used to be with the Tussauds pass but they stopped being involved with PA a long time ago.
Looking at Wikipedia Tussauds actually sold their share in 1998 but I’m sure their annual passes had a discount in the 2000s. Don’t think Merlin passes ever have given PA discount though, only the Tussauds ones.
Thank you

There is an annual pass sale again.

Guessing all our theories about them wanting to have fewer passholders paying a higher price for a better quality product aren’t true then.
Discovery pass is even more of a bargain, a third visit is now almost free.

There is an annual pass sale again.

Guessing all our theories about them wanting to have fewer passholders paying a higher price for a better quality product aren’t true then.
Discovery pass is even more of a bargain, a third visit is now almost free.
They were true.

They have just totally changed their mind this year.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Petrol prices and cost of living really starting to bite? And no captive domestic audience either with the end of covid restrictions.

Also, not sure of attendance figures but there have been a ton of TV ads for DLP on terrestrial TV.

Anecdotally I know quite a few people who haven't renewed passes, I'm not sure if that's only true of my circle of friends or if it's indicative of a wider trend.

I also know people who had a standard pass who are now on the pauper one.

If they don't end up with less passholders overall, but a better mix across the tiers and a higher per cap price, that's not a bad thing.

Anecdotally I know quite a few people who haven't renewed passes, I'm not sure if that's only true of my circle of friends or if it's indicative of a wider trend.

I also know people who had a standard pass who are now on the pauper one.

If they don't end up with less passholders overall, but a better mix across the tiers and a higher per cap price, that's not a bad thing.
Same also stands for alot of local parents I know who have cancelled their passes but due to the pre-book requirements rather than just cost.

Same also stands for alot of local parents I know who have cancelled their passes but due to the pre-book requirements rather than just cost.
Pre-booking just needs removing now for passes.The staff just don’t ask for them, so it’s just a waste of time for anyone. I could understand it for peak days, eg scarefest and fireworks, but popping up on a quiet day during the season it’s just not needed.

Its useful to pre book so parks can guarantee entry and plan visitor numbers, although shouldnt be enforced unless its a sell out etc

I didn’t think pre-book was enforced? I thought Merlin made it only recommended after the social distancing restrictions went?

I didn’t think pre-book was enforced? I thought Merlin made it only recommended after the social distancing restrictions went?
For pass holders they say you still have to. However I know day guests can now buy tickets on the day.

I haven’t been asked once for a pre book this season at any Merlin park. So I’ve stopped wasting my time doing it. If they really want to see one, I’ll just pre book it at the gate on the day.

Towers have never asked to see my booking on any of my visits this season, they seem a lot more relaxed on the pre booking thing than Warwick Castle and Legoland Windsor who did ask to see our booking - I even saw a family be refused entry for not pre booking at LL - I think they ended up doing it there and then before being allowed in, so I usually book just in case. Saves faffing at the gate.

I forgot to post about my experience at Chessington and Thorpe last week. I did something pretty stupid and forgot my pass, which was on my desk 200 miles away ... I was too busy ensuring I had all my work gear, which I needed for the same trip. I had read that it wasn't an issue, you just went to an office and they found your details etc, in theory ...

... in reality. This worked great at Chessington, I arrived, showed my pre-book and in seconds was given a paper ticket that I could then use to access the park, great ... my only concern was having no pass for parking - but for the sake of £4, it wasn't the end of the world. But ... I needn't have worried as the barriers were up - seemingly the staff had already gone home after we waited an hour for them to run off the queue on Vampire, with a single train. Shambles.

Then, the following day we hit up Thorpe where I expected to repeat the above (ha!). I explained the situation to the lady in the portacabin near the entrance, she laughed and pushed my pre-book back towards me. When I explained what had occurred at Chessington the day before she said there was "absolutely no way" I could enter the park without paying a £10 reprint fee, for a pass that I didn't need printing.

So rather than cause a scene, I relented and paid £10 for a replacement pass where the barcode is half on, half off and my head looks like I am looking in a fun house mirror. I walk up to the gate, the new pass obviously doesn't scan and I am sent to reception where the chap on the desk prints me my ticket (the one that I wanted all along) - I regale my tale of Chessington vs. Thorpe processes and he tells me earnestly that they have to account for all the plastic cards and that's why I had to pay £10 ... I reiterate that I didn't want a plastic card, they have forced one upon me, I just wanted to get into the park.

As we leave, the pass obviously doesn't scan at the (unmanned) car parking barriers, so cars start queueing up behind us. We contemplate paying just to get away, but after spying the help button and waiting for someone to respond, the barrier is lifted after we explain the pass issue and read out the 18 digit number in size 4pt font.

It felt particularly ridiculous given how the anti-plastic propaganda is in full force with regards to drinking straws and the like. My old pass is now in the bin, if that ends up in the sea and some dolphin chokes on it, I hope the Karen in the annual pass office at Thorpe can sleep easy.

Merlin. Consistently inconsistent. Forever frustrating.

Last edited: