• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Moon Voyager rooms and beyond!

I haven't seen it mentioned on here but I heard elsewhere the new rooms are supposed to be higher quality and more expensive to eventually set the ATH Hotel as the premium of the two.

Out of interest I am at the Legoland Hotel right now! And I've got to say it's very impressive. Haven't managed to break into the safe yet but the room seems great, lots of fun extras and this is only a standard room... doesn't look it!
Plus would you believe it's one of the cheapest Hotels in Windsor ATM due to the park being closed, hence why I'm making use of it ;)

These images are from the TowersTimes website and show the two original standard bedrooms offered at Alton Towers Hotel - Explorer Rooms and Garden Rooms.

explorer01.jpg

gardener01.jpg

What's interesting is that it shows that many of the features of the current standard rooms such as the themed carpets and patchwork duvets were not actually added until Splash opend in 2003.

:)

Memories flooding back there! As a kid I used to find these rooms (and indeed the whole ATH experience) very magical so hopefully these new Voyager rooms will make today's children feel the same. I know I would have loved them.

Eugh, the garden room. You always knew you booked at a busy time when you ended up in a garden room. :p

I must say, despite a couple of nice quirky looking features, the present rooms seem a lot better than the original ones. I know times have changes since the 1990s but they look hideous!

Yeah, totally agree, I think this just goes to show how in a way people's views of what the hotels were like when they were a child can be rose-tinted by little magical touches, and ignore other things (which is good, that's generally the way memory works, but when trying to compare here is unhelpful).

To me both of those rooms are fairly ghastly compared to any of the current resort hotel rooms, we don't know how lucky we are! :)

They may look ghastly now, but they were very nice at the time.

In 10 years time people will look back at the current Explorer rooms and go "oh my god they look horrible, the current ones look so much better". Alton Towers have just kept things fresh and new over the years, hence why the hotel is currently going through a massive refurbishment, keeping up with the times and offering something more magical.

Oh of course! It's just that I think a few people were saying about how much worse the hotels are now compared to when they opened. If the rooms were still as they are in those photos then I dread to think what the uproar would be like. It's good that they keep the hotels up to date. I still think that in general the hotels are brilliant.

Just called the Resort to enquire about the new Moon Voyager Bedrooms:

-Each bedroom sleeps 6 - Double, Bunk, Single and pull out
-You cannot use your Annual Pass discount or any other offers
-Prices range from £240-£265 per night (more expensive than Explorer Bedrooms)

No discounts? Uh oh, I have a bad feeling that if they can get away with scrapping discounts on these rooms, they will do it everywhere very soon.

Have they extended the rooms at all? I don't remember the explorer rooms being big enough to hold a double, a single and a bunk bed (the ones I stayed in anyway...)

Trixico said:
Have they extended the rooms at all? I don't remember the explorer rooms being big enough to hold a double, a single and a bunk bed (the ones I stayed in anyway...)

The rooms are pretty big actually, so Id have thought they could sleep six quite easily. This is what Iv'e been told from reservations anyway :)

If you can get one that sleeps 6 for £240, that equates to £40pp. For a themed room that is very good, I've paid more for standard rooms including discount in the past!

Rob said:
Oh of course! It's just that I think a few people were saying about how much worse the hotels are now compared to when they opened. If the rooms were still as they are in those photos then I dread to think what the uproar would be like. It's good that they keep the hotels up to date. I still think that in general the hotels are brilliant.

I think the point is that the hotels were better for their time back then than they are compared to today's expectations - certainly in terms of quality and consistency. But then you wouldnt expect a 17 year old hotel to still be as good by today's expectations as it was when it opened, especially without major refurbishment.

And no way in hell are those standard Explorer Rooms big enough to sleep 6 people, even if it is 2 adults and 4 kids. Will these Moon Voyager Rooms be larger?

I am confused as to why they are saying there is no Annual Pass Discount on these rooms?

Surely an error?

It could be that they're not allowing MAP Discount on the Moon Voyager rooms for a few months while they're new, but that may well change in the future. That's my theory, anyway.

Possibly, although these rooms, whilst unique at the moment, seem like just the start of a full hotel refurbishment.

So, in the end, all the rooms will be of this quality. In reality, they shouldn't be treated any differently.

Knowing Alton Towers it will be a lack of communication. I imagine you could ring up tomorrow and they will tell you they open in June, sleep 4 people and are only £50 a night with discount :p

I don't have much to say, but this is one of the most wonderful things Towers have done for ages. :)

DiogoJ42 said:
No discounts? Uh oh, I have a bad feeling that if they can get away with scrapping discounts on these rooms, they will do it everywhere very soon.

Are you ever going to have anything positive to say about anything that Towers/Merlin do...?