• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

I do wish they'd have improved the strip lighting on the first lift. I think just about every time I've ridden it, from v1, v1.5 and v2 someone in with me has been complaining/moaning that it's clearly fake. Even if they'd put the lighting just out of view it would have looked better, or had implemented some kind of small window with a conveyor on the otherside with a cave wall moving with the lift.

It's also poor how the lights don't appear to speed up or slow down that much and aren't properly synced with the apparent movement of the lift. I suppose it's just something I'll have to put up with now though :|

They have always been in synch whenever I have been on, and speed up/slow down accordingly with the movement of the lift

EuroSatch said:
They have always been in synch whenever I have been on, and speed up/slow down accordingly with the movement of the lift

They do speed up and slow down but not realistically - for example the lights will slow down but not stop before the lift simulator is meant to have reached the bottom of the cave. So when the slight bump is felt to simulate the lift stopping the lights are still moving slightly and then just go off abruptly.

Small details like that are things that could improve the experience for me.

I visited Alton Towers yesterday to ride Sub-Terra (BTW scared witless ahah but I feel there should be more signs warning about how overwhelming it is, I had to help a little boy out because he was crying, but nonetheless I thought it was brilliant, the drop should have been deeper though, would had made it amazing, either way it certainly is unique ;D also get fastrack women away from the ride it ruins the theme it would be funny if the guards patroling told her to go away

Scott.Smith said:
I visited Alton Towers yesterday to ride Sub-Terra (BTW scared witless ahah but I feel there should be more signs warning about how overwhelming it is, I had to help a little boy out because he was crying
The entrance sign warns that the ride is not suitable for Under 12's and also warns of the claustrophobic nature of the ride plus the fact that it involves live actors. The height restriction is 1.4m - which is higher than it could be in order to discourage younger guests from riding. Also, the name is Nemesis Sub-Terra... Whilst that is referring to it being 'underground' it is also a play on the word 'terror' which is what most people think of when they hear the name. On top of the name, the signs on park and on television advertisements state that it is 'your worst nightmare underground'

Add to that the fact that walking around it you can hear banging, hissing, screams and scary looking men and women patrolling the entrance I think they have done enough to 'warn' guests of the nature of the ride.

I did the ride again on Wednesday, and once again it was really good and it nice to see they keep adding minor changes. There are now smell pots in the main chamber, pretty much the same smell as Boiler House/TOTT, which really add to being underground. There is also a nice small screen in the exit cave just before the lifts, which has inferred shots of the two exit lifts. I think this must be for the ride host to look out rather than anything as, is it was a pretty small screen, but it did look OK there, the only slight problem was the bottom half of the screen had two bright error messages, something along the lines of "connection failed", but im sure once thats sorted it will be fine.

The actors in the final section really know how to scare people now. I think there were 4 of them in there, one in the first part, one who blocks your path, then one jumped out in the dark section near the low roof, and finally there was one stood right at the exit which even made me jump. They have also added more flaps and holes for the actors to appear from during the final bit. The actor at the end also kept pocking his head out and scaring people collecting their bags.

One minor fault, there seems to be two or three screens in the queue line that are either turned off or are bright pink, and the audio still isnt great.

I a still yet to ride v2.0, but if it's making little kids cry, then I don't think there can be a bigger endorsement. It's clearly now the ride it should have been in March.

I went on Sub Terra last Mon/Tues and wasn't really scared unlike the cocky school kids that me and my friend encountered. However I spent most of my time laughing cause my friend kept screaming her lungs out with the staff picking on her lol. Who knows, maybe the next time I go on it I'll be scared. But it is a brilliant attraction, the improvements that have been made since it opened in March have done it justice :)

After riding Nemesis Sub-Terra again on Saturday and today, I noticed that the exit elevators have now once again been changed, they now move side to side instead of bouncing up and down due to technical faults with hydraulics however this means they are now less turbulent. Also the elevators no longer fill with smoke.

djtruefitt said:
Does it make much difference to the ride, or does it kind of feel the same (to the general public anyway)?

In one sense they are more realistic as your not bouncing off the floor, but they are still no where near as realistic as the entry ones, the elevator hardly shakes when attacked by the monster and no longer 'drops' so I'd say they are a little bit worse than before. This may just be a temporary measure until they are fixed however I think they are to stay like this.

I noticed that to the other day, It seems to take the impact away from the 'attack' and seems less realistic now. Also as previously stated there is hardly any smoke in the lifts now. The smoke used to make you actually fearful as you didn't know what was in front of you all you could see was the beam of light from the torches. Hopefully these will be fixed soon.

Although saying the above, I went with some friends (year 10) who had never ridden before and hadn't been told anything. Some of them were near enough crying on the way out, and all gave it an amazing review.

I believe the floor problem is only temporary. The lifts still fill up with smoke, but the Phalanx who jumps in, no longer use a torch. Maybe it's due to guest complaints, with the shining in the eyes.

:)

Stevie said:
I believe the floor problem is only temporary. The lifts still fill up with smoke, but the Phalanx who jumps in, no longer use a torch. Maybe it's due to guest complaints, with the shining in the eyes.

:)

When I went on on Saturday and Monday, both times Phalanx Ops had torches in the elevators :)

Finally went on version 2 yesterday and I have to say an amazing experience!
However the ride is still average an a lot of people you could see the disappointment from the main chamber but the finally really topped it off for me I seemed to be a good target for the actors therefor had a good run, however later in the day we walked through with just one actor in which was worryingly worse.

Also made friends with one of the actors at the end of the day and turns out he lives just down the road from me, such a funny guy!

I did it 4 times yesterday and it was pretty much the same each time, however later in the day in the briefing room we were told that live actors were involved "they wont touch you, please dont touch them", so I dont know if anything had happened earlier in the day with the actors.

The exit lifts are no way near as good as before as they just kind of move from side to side and dont shake as much, hopefully they fix the problem and its back to how it was before. Also the smoke wasnt working in either lift.

Also the actors dont seem to be holding the right hand lift back anyway, on all 4 times we did it we were let straight out the lift, which then means you end up with 40 people all crushed.

One minor other update, they have added some little lights that shine onto the seats in the main chamber so its a bit brighter, these go off when the ride starts.

djtruefitt said:
I did it 4 times yesterday and it was pretty much the same each time, however later in the day in the briefing room we were told that live actors were involved "they wont touch you, please dont touch them", so I dont know if anything had happened earlier in the day with the actors.

I think this depends on the op - they said it the last time I rode in July :)

The Psychoaster said:
djtruefitt said:

I think this depends on the op - they said it the last time I rode in July :)

It doesn't depend on the op... Just who's doing the briefing