• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

Sam said:
The ride is great now, I really enjoy it.

But I still absolutely detest the staff on it. The horrible way they shout at you, pointless, meaningless abuse. They're not even consistent. They're nearly always quite shoddy and sloppy about how they 'act', frequently breaking character, or moving in an awkward way, or just saying something weird.

I actually resent being shouted at like that. It makes me physically angry, and makes me want to rebel and start shouting back about what a load of crap it all is. It's a shame, because from the first lift onwards, I really enjoy the ride now.

Agree with you there. The narrative seems a bit lost still with that part. The Phalanx welcome us to their facility, yet they shout at us? While most jokes are tongue in cheek, they could upset someone that is sensitive. I've been lucky with my visits as it's been quiet and the staff have been rather social and not as in character. But other times it seems shouting for the sake of shouting.

I hate being shouted at, it really infuriates me when it's not needed. Perhaps Alton Towers could look at this and do a bit of tweaking. All it involves is telling staff to calm the tone.

Not just calmer, they need to change the entire way they behave! They need to go for the whole silent-sexy kinda thing, like this, 41 seconds in:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ojniYSI1w&t=41s[/youtube]

Maybe needs a bit of work in the sexy department. :p

The staff were alot worse when it opened, Pretty much all of them abused you. Now it seems to just be in the batching area and briefing bit. But it does depend on the staff. Some seem to make more of a joke out of it, yet some proper shout at people. I do think its quite good if its done right, it does make you feel more worried as what you are queueing up for.

Some of the best ones are the ones that make comments about the video... Though it doesn't keep in with the theme one of the female staff shouts just after the video says 'You are perfectly safe' at the end... 'No you're not!' and leaves the batching area, leaving everyone to walk into the lifts feeling uneasy.

Technically not with the theme as at that point you should feel safe, but it works because most people going on the ride expect something bad to happen xD

I must be lucky in never being 'abused' by staff... Most I got was on the first ride and yelled at for laughing, but it just fitted the theme...

The overall performance does very from staff to staff, but I've never really heard anything that I would term abusive, but then again, I'm of thicker skin than Daily Mail readers...

When it first opened they seemed to pick on people. But now its more of telling people to stop laughing/smiling or to stop holding hands, holding the fence, etc.

Just caught this ad on comedy central:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQtINlezQg0[/youtube]

Sorry for the poor quality, but I hadn't seen this version before? Also it's interesting to see they've started advertising it again...

Looks like the normal one, just the second half. :)

And it would make sense to start advertising now, just before the summer holidays.

Rode it for the first time today and it all brilliantly, the batching area created that much hype that two guys actually walked out too scared to go on! I would agree the staffing of the queue area needs to be calmed down slightly, there was no real explanation as to why the guy was being rude and to be honest I thnk he was just abusing the fact that the majority of the riders were school kids, my wife almost shouted back at him when he barked to move closer to the doors.

Top quality in fact after reading the first reviews on here (I avoided all info about the ride till today) I am glad I held out till now.

mrbrightside said:
Just caught this ad on comedy central:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQtINlezQg0[/youtube]

Sorry for the poor quality, but I hadn't seen this version before? Also it's interesting to see they've started advertising it again...

That advert was on the TV at the same time as the original one, but its just a shorter version. I have seen it on TV quite a bit this week. Also Thorpe have a shorter advert for the Swarm which is on TV now. I imagine its because its the summer holidays.

Having never seen the full version before, I genuinely thought I'd just come across a new advert on Channel 4!

I can't actually see the video posted above but I'll presume the full version is what I've just seen :p.

Loving the touch of the woman diving into a lift for safety.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Me and my two friends rode this for the first time today (the other three were too scared!) And we were genuinly terrorfied! The Phalanx people were really good, my friend was annoying them, shouting, and being 'rude' back, and their responses were so funny.
As for the actual ride, it was amazing. I couldn't believe it, I thought it would be rubbish after some reviews on here! But no, it was amazing, and the maze at the end topped it all!

Maya said:
Me and my two friends rode this for the first time today (the other three were too scared!) And we were genuinly terrorfied! The Phalanx people were really good, my friend was annoying them, shouting, and being 'rude' back, and their responses were so funny.
As for the actual ride, it was amazing. I couldn't believe it, I thought it would be rubbish after some reviews on here! But no, it was amazing, and the maze at the end topped it all!

That would of been me then ;)

Arrrgh the mighty Sub-Terra. Having liked V1 and having just been on V2? today I can confirm this is a top draw dark ride.

I had the pleasure of riding this again at the weekend and the changes since May were simple, but made a huge amount of difference. Interestingly, there was a large group of Italian tourists who I think may have been coaster geek types. They struggled to work out why one row at a time was being loaded into the lift at the start, but worked it out when they ended up being split up and the loud one ended up sitting on his own and suddenly became very quiet when the main sequence began. Upon leaving, it was clear they all loved it - apart from the first lift. I don't think anyone really thinks they're about to travel underground anyway though - in the same way no-one thinks they're upside down on Hex - so it didn't matter.

I loved the new ending and maintain that for a relatively small scale addition in a tiny space that's only ever housed Beastie, Dynamo and the Lava Lump, AT has done a brilliant job with it.

I never got to ride it before the changes and I'm actually really envious of anybody who did. I'd love to have seen the ride grow into what it is now step by step. My first ride was a month back, really liked it and for it's size/footprint it really is a winner.

Quick question, just to see if I'm going mad really. My memory is a bit vague because so much was going on, but do the lapbars have sections that go between your legs? I only ask because something certainly squashed body parts when i flew up into the bar, was walking funny for an hour! :p

The lap bar does't as far as I can think, but from what I remember the seats have a moulded bump between your legs?

mrbrightside said:
The lap bar does't as far as I can think, but from what I remember the seats have a moulded bump between your legs?

Yeah that'll be it! Just found a picture on Google. There was quite a gap for vertical movement, straight into the moulded rubber lol. Was beginning to think the person sat next to me just didn't like me and gave me a thump! ;)