• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

I dont think parks particularly like having SBNO rides in their parks but sadly in difficult times they have to make difficult decisions. It's not a great look first of all to have a major supporting ride just sit there gathering dust and secondly it's a massive missed opportunity given they have forked out for them in the first place.

Getting it back operating would certainly be much cheaper than removing the whole building, ride system and replacing it with something else that's for sure.

There's also tons of things they could add to this attraction to improve it and keep running costs down. It all just comes down to whether or not the drop towers are still operational.

What I’m getting at is that the claim has been made several times that the ride was closed with no intention to reopen it. I struggle with the idea that once that decision had been made they then wouldn’t salvage what they could from the ride and get the building into a sensible state to leave it vacant.

It’s somewhat redundant anyway as you touch on, as clearly there is a plan in place for the building.

When was that claim made?

I think it was strongly inferred by people on forums but for all we know they have been running the ride system monthly to keep it in working order just in case they decide to reopen.

Was there any substance to the original claims?
Just because something is said several times, it does not make it true.
Mothballed ride...bit like battery storage...there handy in the background, but needs topping up.
Will be used, probably peak only, and might last another year when nemesis reopens.
Then back to being a slow pulsing cocoon...ish.

I don’t think there was any substance to them which is my point.

When was that claim made?

I think it was strongly inferred by people on forums but for all we know they have been running the ride system monthly to keep it in working order just in case they decide to reopen.

I’m referring to people on forums, including in this thread.

My personal view on it is that they probably have been keeping on top of it each year with a view to reopening it in line with the Nemesis retrack.

My gut is that if it was being 'kept warm' we'd have heard more about it. It's a simple attraction which has been sheltered away from moisture. There's no reason it couldn't just run after years of not being used, unless it had been used as a bit of a christmas tree (in which case it'd just need whatever those parts were returned or replaced). It's not like Pirates Adventure or something.

But of course who knows, it could have been run a few times in the off season to see if it goes still.

My gut is that if it was being 'kept warm' we'd have heard more about it. It's a simple attraction which has been sheltered away from moisture. There's no reason it couldn't just run after years of not being used, unless it had been used as a bit of a christmas tree (in which case it'd just need whatever those parts were returned or replaced). It's not like Pirates Adventure or something.

But of course who knows, it could have been run a few times in the off season to see if it goes still.
It's not away from moisture though. Metal sweats, so the difference in temperature inside and outside the building will cause the walls and roof to sweat. There will be moisture in the air inside so any metal components will have condensation. It wouldn't surprise me if the lower part of the ride has standing water. The smiler building pretty much floods over winter.

On a complicated machine like this if you leave things standing, seals deteriorate, things corrode, it'll need a full overhaul and rigorous testing before it's deemed useable. You can't just switch these things on and see if they work ok.

I dont think parks particularly like having SBNO rides in their parks but sadly in difficult times they have to make difficult decisions.
I'm not sure the evidence really backs that up in the case of Alton Towers. By my calculation, there's actually only 3 of the past 20 years when the park has not had prominent SBNO attractions - 2003, 2014 and 2015.

The stats get a little better when you remove long term closures (attractions closed for over 5 years - Sub-Terra, 4D Cinema and Ice Arena), which increases that numbers to 8 years out of the past 20 (3 years out of the past 10).

The issue at Alton Towers is that they have so much space, they can quite happily afford to have two or three attractions out of action without needing to use the space to replace or remove them.

I'm not sure the evidence really backs that up in the case of Alton Towers. By my calculation, there's actually only 3 of the past 20 years when the park has not had prominent SBNO attractions - 2003, 2014 and 2015.
Dynamo closed part way through 2003 didn't it?

The stats get a little better when you remove long term closures (attractions closed for over 5 years - Sub-Terra, 4D Cinema and Ice Arena), which increases that numbers to 8 years out of the past 20 (3 years out of the past 10).

The issue at Alton Towers is that they have so much space, they can quite happily afford to have two or three attractions out of action without needing to use the space to replace or remove them.

Don't think they take these decisions lightly though. It's probably just down to costs. That was my point that kind of got a bit lost.

84DFC8A8-6246-4C8E-A157-146A1DD06D82.jpeg
2023 park map has been released. No sign of Sub-Terra yet, however the Nemesis “no entry” tape has included the NST buildings 🤔

TPWW are now reporting it as "set to return at some point this season". Clearly they've known for ages but have been waiting for the opportune moment to state it as fact.
They referred to it like this in their video from the Kids Pass buyout over the weekend too.

TPWW are now reporting it as "set to return at some point this season". Clearly they've known for ages but have been waiting for the opportune moment to state it as fact.
they’ve been stating it as fact for well over a month to be fair.

guess that's what I get for not actually watching any of the videos and just checking the facebook updates from time to time

It is also worth noting that no attractions apart from the big 7, the stuff in CBeebies Land and The Curse at Alton Manor are actually labelled… so maybe Sub-Terra will simply be listed as one of the peripheral attractions that isn’t shown on this version?