• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New UK emergency alert system discussion

If you don't want the test, then switch your phone off in the early evening of April 23rd. Simple. Hopefully that will be the only time most people receive an alert, but the national test is an opportunity for people to make sure they can receive them as not all phones and networks are compatible.

In essence the emergency alert will be sent to all devices on the network. If you've turned emergency alerts off in your phone then your phone will still receive the alert but will not present it to you.

I really don't get why this is so hard to understand.

But I have the setting turned off therefore I should not be disturbed at all?
It does say on the website that some alerts could override the options. I saw an article the other day about the fact that domestic abuse victims are being advised to turn their phones off for the test and not just change the settings (as the alert could reveal any secret phones to their abusers).

Last edited:
Yes it should, because the cell sites simply broadcast the message en masse (as others have pointed out - the equivalent of shouting to every phone in the area).

The phone receives the broadcast message, queries the settings on the phone. If it's off (i.e you've told the phone to put its fingers in its ears), nothing is shown/alerted. If it's on, you get the alert tone and the message.

Any other method of doing this would require a database of telephone numbers to send to/not send to. It's for precisely that reason that this is incredibly pro privacy.

It does say on the website that some alerts could override the options. I saw an article the other about the fact that domestic abuse victims are being advised to turn their phones off for the test and not just change the settings (as the alert could reveal any secret phones to their abusers).

I'm not aware of this still being an option? Are you reading an old article by any chance? The previous information ages back had Severe alerts only being able to be disabled with Extreme ones not. This has since been updated and all alerts can be opted out of.

Current information:
1679511400152.png
Previous information which has since been superceded:
1679511457394.png

Last edited:
Shame this wasn't around a couple of years back, maybe Boris would of been alerted to the fact that he was about to be 'Ambushed by cake':rolleyes:

A less tech option if you don't have a mobile; Pop down to your local supermarket, if there's panic buying of loo roll, run for the hills..

It does say on the website that some alerts could override the options. I saw an article the other about the fact that domestic abuse victims are being advised to turn their phones off for the test and not just change the settings (as the alert could reveal any secret phones to their abusers).

This actually makes me wonder something. Imagine the worst happens and there’s a gunman on the loose or a Bataclan type situation but you are hiding from it. Is there the risk that an alert could then go off and give away your hiding position?

This actually makes me wonder something. Imagine the worst happens and there’s a gunman on the loose or a Bataclan type situation but you are hiding from it. Is there the risk that an alert could then go off and give away your hiding position?
They're not using them for terrorist incidents at present. But since those types of alerts would be agreed with the gold commander, there'd be plenty of consideration given to that situation. I would imagine alerts of that type would be given more for mass casualty events when people are unable to use the mobile networks due to congestion (cell broadcast can still be received despite overloading on other parts of the network).

Quite why you'd want to be opted out of a system designed to warn you if there's a maraudering terrorist or the like nearby is a bit beyond me?
Some people (and I'm not pointing any fingers) have a complex that everything the government do is about mining personal data and using that data for sinister purposes and spying on their personal lives.
The same people who refuse to get things like Tesco Clubcards. Why the government or any faceless organisation would even be interested in knowing where Danny from Smethwick likes to buy his cans of monster is baffling.

Or accesses their TS account via a mobile browser
This is the real question! How much of my information is @Joel selling to the government?!

I think the alert system should be compulsory on every phone without any way of removing it. To claim the government shouldn't have information on you is also crazy, no one is entitled to complete privacy, and if you were injured you would expect the NHS to have information on you to best treat you. This in my opinion is the same.

They aren't collecting information on you though this, but even if they were it would more than likely be to collect data of people in an affected area.

To claim the government shouldn't have information on you is also crazy, no one is entitled to complete privacy, and if you were injured you would expect the NHS to have information on you to best treat you. This in my opinion is the same.

Why?

For reference, I think this system is safe, but don't understand your point here. The government and the NHS are different institutions with different motivations.

In Germany, there is an enormous amount of paranoia about collected data, owing to the historical legacy of Nazi rule. The tax office, the government, the housing authorities, the benefits office, the police... all on different systems that never intersect. From a basic admin perspective, it can be absolutely torturous. Saying that, realising quite how interconnected the UK is compared to other developed European countries can be eye-opening...

I think in an age in which data is so intertwined with our own entertainment, media and identities, it is reasonable to apply at least some caution to our collective rights in this regard. An increasing majority of people seem to notice patterns in their targeted advertising that leave them convinced that their iPhones and other devices are listening in on their communications. I'm personally not convinced, but what's more unnerving is the amount of citizens who relate to the thrill of this conspiracy but also seem completely adjusted to the idea?

Why?

For reference, I think this system is safe, but don't understand your point here. The government and the NHS are different institutions with different motivations.

In Germany, there is an enormous amount of paranoia about collected data, owing to the historical legacy of Nazi rule. The tax office, the government, the housing authorities, the benefits office, the police... all on different systems that never intersect. From a basic admin perspective, it can be absolutely torturous. Saying that, realising quite how interconnected the UK is compared to other developed European countries can be eye-opening...

I think in an age in which data is so intertwined with our own entertainment, media and identities, it is reasonable to apply at least some caution to our collective rights in this regard. An increasing majority of people seem to notice patterns in their targeted advertising that leave them convinced that their iPhones and other devices are listening in on their communications. I'm personally not convinced, but what's more unnerving is the amount of citizens who relate to the thrill of this conspiracy but also seem completely adjusted to the idea?

Personally, I think they aren't different institutions with different motivations. Your medical data is used by the government as well as the NHS to understand patterns and flows to understand what illnesses are going round the UK, if there are any hotspots and how the government can react to it.

For example I came down with salmonella from a fast food shop. The doctor told me he had seen multiple instances of it and they had a duty to share this information with the appropriate authorities to have the fast food shop hygiene checked. Hence the department of health getting involved in a local manner.

Im not saying the government should have full access to your every message. But if there are instances where it is going to help the public. For example sending out life or death emergency notifications, then to have some sort of feedback from it in terms of a location ping of 50,000 phones in the area received this notification, 30,000 have interacted with it" gives a better understanding.

If a government wants your info. They will get it. Simple as that. Let's face it, day to day running of life i.e taxes, driving licences etc. They will have enough to do what ever they need. Just because it's not a forefront like the starzi etc. Doesn't mean it isn't going on.

This stuff fascinates me. I am willing to get the alert as I am interested to know what it will be like. Live in an age now where most of us will be away from a terrestrial radio or TV broadcast. We should all know what do and when. All the emergency services need during a time of crises is someone waving their arms around, panicking because they didn't get the information on what to do because, well privacy is key

Ah ok I must be wrong that an event like a bombing or a helicopter crash etc can save your life by an alert after an event has already happened. Perhaps this "app" is using AI to predict the future - that would be awesome

But at least information can get to people in and around the area. Where to go check up on loved ones or even first aid. What roads and areas to stay clear of.

I have to say reading some of the older posts o find it absolutely hilarious that some people are complaining about privacy when they own a mobile phone!

You have no privacy with your phone. Unless you have an old Nokia 6110 your phone is tracking you, listening to you, and probably you have apps such as Facebook, Twitter, tick-tock, instagram, WhatsApp all installed on the phone too!