• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Parc Astérix: General Discussion

PE was open, as was Vol d'Icare (though the latter was not advertised). The little boat ride (Rivière d'Elis) was also open but that's obviously a very poor use of time during ERT.

Just got back from a trip of which Astérix was the final park, will probably do a full trip report at some point but here are a few thoughts for now:

Toutatis is an excellent coaster, fast and exciting with a great layout and an unusual multi-pass launch that will be completely new to a lot of visitors. Certainly one of my top coasters in Western Europe, perhaps not quite up there with Taron but certainly not far behind. Theming is great both in the queue lines / main station and in the general area itself, and the new shop is almost exclusively Toutatis-branded merchandise all of which seemed good quality. This is a great addition to the park and was well worth making the trip for.

Unfortunately the new timberliners on T2Z are just as unpleasant and uncomfortable as we'd been led to believe. The reprofiling work looked quite promising with a new 90° banked corner but the ride experience is pretty horrendous, just constant shaking throughout the ride and every jolt slamming through the train right into you so you find yourself having to brace for every element. I'm a huge fan of woodies but this one got no re-rides from any of us even with a 10 minute queue. Sadly I never got to ride the old Tonnerre de but it does seem that they've taken what was and should still be an enjoyable wooden coaster and made it unrideable. A real shame.

Some areas of the park looked great, with a lot of evidence of repainting on some of the smaller rides. Other, perhaps older, attractions feel pretty tired and in need of some love. Le Défi du Cesar, the park's madhouse and its only real dark ride is a shadow of what it was, with all the preshows gone and riders entering through the exit doors, giving no context to the ride experience. Some of the screens in the vault were out as well showing error messages, not a great look! The park's take on the madhouse ride concept is pretty original and a refreshing change from the usual 'cursed mansion' narrative so it was sad to see it so neglected. I hope they have plans for a proper refurb in the future. A number of other attractions just needed a good old scrub clean.

OzIris is a great B&M invert, all the more appreciated this year due to the Nemesis shutdown. Feels a bit more sophisticated than the older inverts in some way, with smoother transitions between the custom elements. Was running really well at the end of the day as well. On the other hand, the park's older coasters such as Gudurix and Icarus are really showing their age and feel very mediocre by comparison.

Our meal at Restaurant du Lac was a bit of a fiasco, might save that anecdote for a trip report though. Hopefully a one-off!

We went on a term-time weekday day with frankly awful weather so queues were almost non-existent, however I understand it can get miserably busy on peak days. There are a lot of Fastpass options ranging from the budget bronze Filotomatix (essentially virtual queue) for €10 to Illimité at an eye-watering €105 (unlimited queue jumps and the only package that includes Toutatis). If you can, get there on an off-peak day, otherwise some form of Filotomatix is probably unavoidable if you want a chance of getting on everything.

Last edited:
Visited today for the first time in 5 years. Key points:

- Very tidy and clean throughout.

- 99% of staff all very friendly and cheerful. Even when a clear language barrier was present.

- I wasn't a fan of Zeus last time. Tolerable, but not great. I much prefer it now following the retrack and with new trains. It's still rough round the edges, but the new track sections make it joyously wild.

- The biggest downside is this bizarre hotel porter baggage system they've introduced. What was wrong with dumping bags on a shelf? Oz Iris really suffers here. Staff frustratingly wheeling a baggage trolley down the train whilst guests are stood on the platform confused as to where their bags go. It also makes collecting bags equally frustrating.

- Oz Iris still a fantastic ride. Certainly revaluting its ranking in my inverts.

- Some of the drink prices for the sky bar are OBSCENE.

- Toutatis is an ALMOST perfect coaster. It's smooth. It has airtime. It has addictive hangtime. The station is beautiful. The dispatch sequence is sublime. It looks stunning at sunset and even more spectacular at night. The genuine fear from having a loose restraint is menacingly fun down the exit of the trimmed top hat. The swing launch with its ridiculous pops of air time in both directions is sensational, particularly as it warms up.

However, there are a few areas that let it down to it being a perfect coaster. Firstly, it feels like it spends too much time trying to do something sideways. The opening number is perfect, but repeated attempts following this feel like wasted airtime opportunities. There also feels like there is room for one more inversion in there as well. The duration also feels just a little too short for a coaster of its calibre - an extra 5 - 10 seconds of layout would have been a sweet spot.

We rode twice in the front and twice in the back with a sunset and full dark ride. Both areas of the train have their merits and I find it difficult to find a true verdict. It warms up delightfully hroughout the day.

It certainly takes the crown of best French coaster I've ridden, and is a top 10 of European coasters. The area feels very Asterix-y, as does the station. It's an incredibly solid addition to the park, and I can't wait to compare it properly with Gotham City Escape in a few months.

20230519_204355(0).jpg

20230519_204901.jpg

20230519_231256.jpg

100% disagree about Zeus, it used to be one of my favourite coasters before they put Timberliners on it but I thought it was dreadful last week. Overheard some other UK enthusiasts talking about it during breakfast at the hotel and they seemed to be of a similar opinion.

I'm not sure if it's been posted before, but Parc Asterix got 2.6 million visitors last year, before the new coaster opened.

Clearly Disneyland Paris gets far more visitors from further afield and has the international appeal, but Parc Asterix must be taking a significant slice of the Parisian market, even if it's less than Disneyland Paris. It's easy to read too much into these things, and last year was a funny time as we came out of Covid, but I wonder how The Walt Disney Studios did last year with their new Avengers Campus.

Just left Asterix. Hoping to provide a full trip report soon, but to focus on Toutatis…

It’s a superb ride The swing launch, while gradual, is extremely powerful and the ejector air-time is mental, frankly. Still, in the ranking of contemporary EU Intamins (niche!) it falls behind both Taron and Kondaa for me. I read a designer interview that described how the park had requested a super-smooth ‘Best Of’, which Intamin have undoubtedly delivered. The cost is that while it does certainly have a bit of everything, it lacks the relentlessness and focus of its younger siblings. Nonetheless, a worthy investment for a largely lovely, well-operated park. The ‘Festival Toutatis’ development as a whole feels fairly effective, even if it’s possibly just a bit like Ug Land of yore, albeit with no arcade and better burgers/booze.

Really good first visit to Parc Asterix today, got to the park around 11am. Ended up buying the bronze filomatix for €10 today which was a virtual queue so could do the rides that didn't have virtual queues whilst virtually waiting for those that did.

Toutatis is great!
Oziris a top tier invert.
Pegassus Express good fun.
I enjoyed Tonnerre 2 Zeus
Goudirix was disgusting!

Visiting again on Sunday, have bought the gold filomatix for that day so hopefully get on some of the other rides, the water rides, and toutatis a few more times.

Made my first visit to Parc Asterix on 25/26th May staying onsite at La Cité Suspendue for a night.

Was told there was 5000 guests on park which made queues very small or non-existent in some cases.

A few thoughts:-

Goudurix. Made it the first ride of the day at it was next to the hotel entrance. Actually, didn’t find it that bad. The worst sections for roughness were when it wasn’t inverting. Still only a couple of rides per visit though.

Tonnerre 2 Zeus. Strange that I had a couple of decent rides which were ok, then a couple more which rattled all the way round. The backwards facing carriage was a one-time experience only though.

Toutatis. A really really good coaster. I’ve seen some grumbling about the trim on the top hat, but it doesn’t affect the ride at all. In fact with no trim I think you may be launched into orbit. The backwards spike was reminiscent of the old Thunder Looper.

The queue didn’t exceed 25 mins during my visit and the SRQ only ever had a max of 5 people of front, if even that many.

Ride staff worked really hard to dispatch one of the three trains every 45 seconds. Plenty of orders continually being barked in French. The trolley bag thing is a bit of a faff when you get off the ride if your stuff is at the bottom of the pile, but it works well to keep the ride running to capacity.

Toutatis has a “no glasses even with a strap” policy. It got a bit annoying by the end of the two days to have three different members of staff every time prior to riding keep telling you in French you can’t wear glasses on the ride even though I was lapping it and needed to wear them at least until I got to my seat before taking them off.

Maybe Zeus has one good train and one rattly.

I had one (backwards) ride and loved it. Didnt find it rough or uncomfortable at all. Expected a battering going by recent reports.

The no glasses thing is a bit weird. Theyre not going to do much damage if they hit someone.

Yeah the glasses thing is bizarre, especially when they had no issues with you wearing them in Oziris or Goudurix. Or people filming with go pros on the ride.

I was told the lenses might explode on RTH!! Like said, it is very annoying when it’s only a rule on one coaster in a park and none of the others.
I'd much prefer it as a rule on only one coaster in the park - a blanket "no glasses" rule would be much more annoying than only having to remove them for one coaster.

It's because you backwards I should imagine, blowing glasses on to your face from the front is not the same as blowing them off your face from behind.

It's because you backwards I should imagine, blowing glasses on to your face from the front is not the same as blowing them off your face from behind.
I appreciate that. But they're not going anywhere with a glasses strap on them.

I appreciate that. But they're not going anywhere with a glasses strap on them.

With the sudden dips in reverse I wouldn't be so sure! Either way, I completely understand a blanket ban is quicker, simpler, so ultimately safer than worrying about whether glasses have been checked and what sort of strap is sufficient in an individual basis.

It's really not ideal to have to remove one's glasses, especially if you haven't got a case for them and any bag you stow them in is likely to be unceremoniously chucked at the bottom of a big wheelie bin by an uncaring staff member!

Also don't really think it's fair that some people are allowed to see during the ride while others aren't!

By contrast, the Goudurix bags-on policy is laughably insane.

To be fair the wheeled baggage trolleys on Toutatis did have a tray on the top for smaller articles like glasses. So storage of them wasn’t an issue once handed over to the ride op.

Having operated a ride on which someone lost their glasses (irretrievably I might add) and then had the realisation that they couldn't drive home without them, I think everyone should think twice before taking their glasses with them. Rule or not.

I wear glasses now, and sure I sometimes lament taking them off and not getting the "HD" experience. But in the trade-off between better vision and potentially loosing them (or worse hurting someone with them) it's very rarely worth keeping them on if there's any doubt they are secure.