• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Planet Coaster 2: Confirmed!

I would, but with GTA6 around the corner it needs to be a laptop for modding.

The controller thing for Planco would seem strange now having used a mouse for so long.

I hope that piece counter has been modified this time around. It's my only criticism of the original game on console. Surely there is a workaround to increase it? Maybe taking advantage of the SSD to load in objects as they're required? I don't know. It just seems a waste that you have these massive land masses to fill up, and all the creative tools at your disposal, but can't because of that damn piece counter! You'd hope since it is actually being developed ground-up as both a native PC and Console game, unlike the first game which was originally developed as a PC game, that they could've considered this?

Because of these restrictions, I'm more used to building coasters. Now some of the hands on previews are out, we're starting to finally see the coaster improvements in action. I've been impressed with easy it now appears to be able to build smooth coasters, with some being able to profile with quite large track pieces with ease, and getting realistic and smooth results just by giving it a twice-over with the smoothing tool. Currently if you do this, the smoothing tool will ruin your profiling and heart lining, necessitating the use of the much more difficult 4mtr method. Even if you manage to get it bang on and go back over painstakingly with the smoothing tool 4-6 times, it still delivers jerky results that you can even notice on builds from very experienced and skilled builders.

My only concern would be however is that there is a fine line between being accessible to new players, and removing the fun of skill out of coaster building. I saw one video where a couple of elements were just whacked up in a minute, a quick smooth, and it was good to go. I wouldn't want it to be too hand holdy.

You'd hope since it is actually being developed ground-up as both a native PC and Console game, unlike the first game which was originally developed as a PC game, that they could've considered this?
It's likely that the console version was also limited by having to be compatible with the PlayStation 4 / Xbox One X/S (stupid naming convention), and the limitation of hardware originally released in 2013 (announced in 2012).

It's likely that the console version was also limited by having to be compatible with the PlayStation 4 / Xbox One X/S (stupid naming convention), and the limitation of hardware originally released in 2013 (announced in 2012).
It was licensing conditions to keep the game performing to the standards set out by Microsoft and Sony I believe, which isn't a problem on PC as the game doesn't have to be licensed to run on someone's personal computer. The piece counter for the original is actually set 25% lower on the PS4 and Xbox One versions, so no longer being a cross-gen release alone won't have any impact on what it will be set to.

If anyone is struggling to gauge if their system will run the game or not, feel free to post the specs for assistance.
My laptop fits most of the specs however it only has 8GB RAM. Do you think this would be problematic and if so is there any easy fix rather than buying a new one?
Edit: I've just asked my brother to check my graphics card, turns out I've been playing Planet Coaster 1 on minimum specs so Planet Coaster 2 is out of reach :(

Last edited:
My computer is now old and I got when original planet coaster came out. I know I would need to upgrade the graphics card but could someone check if the other specs would run the game if I did upgrade the graphics card-

Ram- 16gb
Processor- : Intel Quad-Core i7-6700
Graphics card- AMD Radeon R9 380 (4GB)- I am aware I would need to change the graphics card.

I hope that piece counter has been modified this time around. It's my only criticism of the original game on console. Surely there is a workaround to increase it? Maybe taking advantage of the SSD to load in objects as they're required? I don't know. It just seems a waste that you have these massive land masses to fill up, and all the creative tools at your disposal, but can't because of that damn piece counter! You'd hope since it is actually being developed ground-up as both a native PC and Console game, unlike the first game which was originally developed as a PC game, that they could've considered this?
The piece counter will be less restrictive because they've dropped the support for older gen consoles, allowing them to focus the optimisation. But by how much I'm not sure.

What I did hear is that PC players will have the option to toggle the limit on/off so they don't unintentionally exceed the cross play features.

I have to say, I’m very impressed by how many rides are seemingly porting with the base game!

I wondered if we might start with a slightly bare bones lineup to incentivise DLC purchases in the future, but it seems like most of the favourites from the original, from both DLCs and the base game, are returning with the base game of Planet Coaster 2, which is excellent to see!

Looks like i'm getting a new laptop.

Damn you Frontier, anyone have recommendations for anything sub £1000?....
The market is good right now for laptops. For around a grand you can get something with an RTX 4060, decent display and decent processor. Something like this is great, but there are plenty of options around if you prefer brands etc. Here is an example of something decent, that would be decent for PC2 and other tasks too. A grand will get you a strong GPU, CPU and RAM combo for a laptop. I would recommend sticking to Nvidia for graphics, they are a little more pricy but you get far more advance features such as the superior Nvidia DLSS over the 3 years behind AMD FSR (something Planco2 will use), you get much better video codecs for media playback and encoding and you get nice things such as Nvidia RTX technology.

My laptop fits most of the specs however it only has 8GB RAM. Do you think this would be problematic and if so is there any easy fix rather than buying a new one?
Edit: I've just asked my brother to check my graphics card, turns out I've been playing Planet Coaster 1 on minimum specs so Planet Coaster 2 is out of reach :(

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 8GB of RAM is far to low for any modern computer (despite what Apple was telling people up until a few months ago). even before you factor in playing any games. You simply cannot do much, with 8GB RAM on Windows or Mac, without severely limiting performance. Sorry to hear your graphics are not up to scratch either. You have the option of playing the Planco2 through the very good GeForce Now streaming service. You will still need to buy the game, but you can then use the might of NVidia's servers to render the game on their datacentres and send you the video feed almost instantly, all for a small monthly fee. It works very well actually, hard to tell the different that you are not playing the game locally. Others on here use GeForce now, I am sure they can contest how well it works.

My computer is now old and I got when original planet coaster came out. I know I would need to upgrade the graphics card but could someone check if the other specs would run the game if I did upgrade the graphics card-

Ram- 16gb
Processor- : Intel Quad-Core i7-6700
Graphics card- AMD Radeon R9 380 (4GB)- I am aware I would need to change the graphics card.

Your processor is just about the minimum, that should be ok, your RAM is fine, you would certainly need a new graphics card, one with 8GB vram minimum (most now do). I would be mindful of your power requirements though and not exceeding the power consumption of your PSU. The R9 380 is quite a power hungry card pulling 190w at full load. Because that is already running in your system, you have a power supply that can supply it power. I would recommend anything up to the power consumption of that. It gives you a decent selection. Given your CPU, going to powerful on the GPU though will bottleneck the card. Something up to perhaps an RTX 3060 would run ok with that CPU and PSU. A 4060 would run fine too, but you would be leaving performance on the table due to the CPU.

Last edited:
Thanks
The market is good right now for laptops. For around a grand you can get something with an RTX 4060, decent display and decent processor. Something like this is great, but there are plenty of options around if you prefer brands etc. Here is an example of something decent, that would be decent for PC2 and other tasks too. A grand will get you a strong GPU, CPU and RAM combo for a laptop. I would recommend sticking to Nvidia for graphics, they are a little more pricy but you get far more advance features such as the superior Nvidia DLSS over the 3 years behind AMD FSR (something Planco2 will use), you get much better video codecs for media playback and encoding and you get nice things such as Nvidia RTX technology.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 8GB of RAM is far to low for any modern computer (despite what Apple was telling people up until a few months ago). even before you factor in playing any games. You simply cannot do much, with 8GB RAM on Windows or Mac, without severely limiting performance. Sorry to hear your graphics are not up to scratch either. You have the option of playing the Planco2 through the very good GeForce Now streaming service. You will still need to buy the game, but you can then use the might of NVidia's servers to render the game on their datacentres and send you the video feed almost instantly, all for a small monthly fee. It works very well actually, hard to tell the different that you are not playing the game locally. Others on here use GeForce now, I am sure they can contest how well it works.

Your processor is just about the minimum, that should be ok, your RAM is fine, you would certainly need a new graphics card, one with 8GB vram minimum (most now do). I would be mindful of your power requirements though and not exceeding the power consumption of your PSU. The R9 380 is quite a power hungry card pulling 190w at full load. Because that is already running in your system, you have a power supply that can supply it power. I would recommend anything up to the power consumption of that. It gives you a decent selection. Given your CPU, going to powerful on the GPU though will bottleneck the card. Something up to perhaps an RTX 3060 would run ok with that CPU and PSU. A 4060 would run fine too, but you would be leaving performance on the table due to the CPU.

I might just get an Xbox rather than spending similar money on a new graphics card on an aging pc which I don’t really use anymore as have a MacBook Air for computing needs. Just a bit wary of using a controller for this type of game but am sure would get used to it! I don’t crate my own buildings with 100’s of individual pieces so the limit on the games consoles shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

The market is good right now for laptops. For around a grand you can get something with an RTX 4060, decent display and decent processor. Something like this is great, but there are plenty of options around if you prefer brands etc.
Funny enough that is one that is currently in my Amazon basket lol.

Does look like the best value option under £1000 currently, cheers for the suggestion.

Funny enough that is one that is currently in my Amazon basket lol.

Does look like the best value option under £1000 currently, cheers for the suggestion.

This is a pretty good one too, higher hz screen aswel.

From experience I think MSI are better than Acer too. I've got PC's running on MSI motherboards and GPUs over a decade old, still going strong.

Thanks

I might just get an Xbox rather than spending similar money on a new graphics card on an aging pc which I don’t really use anymore as have a MacBook Air for computing needs. Just a bit wary of using a controller for this type of game but am sure would get used to it! I don’t crate my own buildings with 100’s of individual pieces so the limit on the games consoles shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

I am sure it will have keyboard and mouse support on console, if you want it. Alot of Xbox games do support that now.

@DistortAMG thoughts on this for running with nice graphics on?

Yeah, you will have a good experience with that I am sure. Intel i7 11700F, is pretty much on par with my Ryzen chip and that is a pretty decent, modern processor, the F in the SKU name means there are no onboard graphics built into the chip, irrelevant anyway as you will be running a dedicated GPU. That CPU exceeds the recommended specs, so you are golden there.

32GB of RAM, again decent, looks like it is only running in 2666mhz though, not a big deal, but you will get a little more performance getting slightly faster RAM, it is not a deal breaker though and you would be talking less than 5%. GPU, RTX 3060 XC with a huge 12GB of VRAM, you will have no problem pushing texture details to ultra and having graphics settings.

An RTX 3060 is within 5% performance of the recommended GPU of the game, an RTX 2070, they are so close it is almost irrelevant. You will be running the game on the recommended specs with that PC, so I would expect a decent experience on nice graphics. Being an Nvidia card too, the game has been confirmed to be using Nvidia's proprietary and excellent image AI upscaling technology, meaning you can push the graphics even nicer, without impacting your FPS once turned on, it works very well.

That system seems very similar to mine in terms of specs, I am expecting a decent experience with nice graphics. I would recommend running something like that on a nice 1080p monitor, 1440p at a stretch, but that GPU will shine at 1080p, with graphics settings very high in a game like this, while maintaining decent FPS. 1440p would work too, even better with DLSS set on a more aggressive setting in 1440p, in game with larger parks, to maintain FPS, but I wouldn't go higher than that in terms of resolution. You don't need to anyway, the game will look great.

Last edited: