• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

Hmm it looks very unusual. Not overly sure what it could be, I still think it looks far too substantial to be a Splash Battle but you never know.

:)

A Mack water coaster would be ideal but something's telling me that it wont be that.

I watched an interview with PA's director where he said that their customers had told them that they want outdoor rides rather than indoor and used Templo as an example of an attraction which was not outdoors and therefore they would not be building any more of. It would seem PA think that their guests don't want dark rides :'(

There are still rumours that it will be a Mack prototype. Although it's looking more like a splash battle at this rate. Which would be a little disappointing. It's great for the climate they have over there, but splash battles are just very common these days and not what I would class as an 'unimaginable' experience (although we know what parks are like with over-hyping).

Anyway, some different news on the side. During summer 2014 Cirque du Soleil will be at PortAventura!

Press release from PA:
PortAventura said:
For summer 2014 Cirque du Soleil visits PortAventura to present Kooza, one of the most impressive productions of the Canadian troupe. Port Aventura is planning this spectacular new attraction for the whole family to enjoy in summer 2014.

Cirque du Soleil, the Canadian entertainment company par excellence, is an international leader in the world of shows. Since 1984 it has attracted millions of spectators worldwide with its unique performances capable of awakening unimaginable emotions.

In these 2014 summer holidays, after passing through Paris, New York, Moscow, London, Las Vegas ... Cirque du Soleil, the most successful theatre company in the world, will arrive at PortAventura, just 1 hour from Barcelona.

With the show Kooza, Cirque du Soleil returns to its circus origins with breathtaking acrobatics and amazing clowns, featuring incredible acrobatic performances on the Costa Dorada, for summer 2014 at PortAventura.

Kooza tells the story of the lone Innocent, who is searching for his place in the world, a narrative thread that leads to incredible scenes full of strength and splendour without forgetting traditional circus slapstick humour. Laughter and guffaws mingle with scenarios of fear, identity and power, amongst adrenaline-filled stunts within a bizarre realm.

Do not miss out from your 2014 summer holidays this unique performance that makes PortAventura the first European Resort to play host to Cirque de Soleil and join forces with this great Canadian company to present their fantastic show Kooza (with daily performances and capacity for up to 2,400 spectators).

Discover the fantastic new world that will arrive at PortAventura this summer 2014, an impressive spectacular performance born of the union of Port Aventura Resort and Cirque du Soleil to show you strength and fragility, smiles and laughter, confusion and equilibrium. An exciting and exotic visual universe, full of surprises, thrills, chills, large doses of bravado and your total participation.

I might be visiting PA next summer so I look forward to this. I'm taking a guess that they will situate this in the Imperial Theatre in China, which would be nice to see as the Music Generation show has been around for a few years now. They could do with something new in there.

Wow works really are slow for the new attraction!

I imagine the indoor/outdoor argument will be down to the climate - nobody wants to be indoors when the weather is beautiful outside! Templo is a fantastic experience, and I'd love to see something on that scale again... but it's probably not cost effective.
Saying that, a nice haunted house type setup would be welcomed with air conditioning to provide guests with a break!

Sent using Tapatalk

I highly doubt Cirque de Soleil will get the same standing ovation Music Generation Halloween got on it's first performance...

I get a feeling this isn't a Splash Battle, the scale just seems way to large.

On a typical Splash Battle each meander is close enough together so the boats can shoot at each other but here the gaps are so large there are small islands of land in-between.

Whatever this is it's big.

Benzin said:
I highly doubt Cirque de Soleil will get the same standing ovation Music Generation Halloween got on it's first performance...

It probably will. The Spanish get very excited over entertainment and are very dramatic/over the top people. I saw Music Generation 8 times in August and 5 times there were standing ovations, seems to be a common thing with the show. I actually found Music Generation quite a weak show. Even Alton Towers has pulled off shows far better than that!

Latest image of the 2014 project. Not much has been done with the set path although the buildings are starting to take shape!

r9es.png

Picture is by Gabri999 on PA Community.

Hmm. I'm no expert in construction but the scale seems too large for a simple Splash Battle, yet there are no footers for a coaster? There is no groundwork to show that they could actually put water there, as no concrete trough or lake has been dug out. You can't pour water onto a sand field and expect it to sit there!

I just. I don't know. :/

020807.JPG

I wouldn't say it's a Splash Battle as they usually have the troughs above ground as seen in the above picture from TT.

Maybe the trough is yet to be installed in the trench? It's a confusing project so far with no signs as to what it is. For all we know, it could just be a small boat ride like Riverbank at Towers (even if it's not that of an amazing project...)!

Whatever it is it's clearly a long way off completion! I'm actually looking forward to seeing what this turns out to be, purely because it could be almost anything at the moment.

:)

They seem to be going for the "Alton Towers Smiler" technique - ignore the groundworks and do bugger all for months. ;)

It's rumoured to open in April - although as they have no set dates (something Alton Towers should do tbh) it will probably open later in 2014. They should be fine. PA only really needs to aim to have things open by June/July ready for the surge of guests that hit the place in the summer.

Artwork for the new area was released yesterday by Club PortAventura (official):
wls0.png

I find it weird nothing has been built on site yet to hold water. Very strange project so far!

That concept art has suddenly made me feel like I have a lot clearer idea about what this ride will be now.

Looking at the layout, and how short it is, this ride is unlikely to be a fast thrill water ride (like the prototype Mack) There's nothing thrill-based they could build with that small layout that would fit the tagline 'GET READY FOR AN UNBELIEVABLE EXPERIENCE'

I am now picturing an outdoor dark ride through the ruins of Angkor Wat. Think Jungle Cruise. Maybe even with live animals - Zufari on sea? If it was a well-created, immersive family boat ride through the ruins of a Mayan temple, then the tagline of 'GET READY FOR AN UNBELIEVABLE EXPERIENCE' would make a bit more sense (it wouldn't for a splash battle).

Whether they can actually pull that off or not is another question. If it wants to look anything like that concept art, it'll have to be the best themed ride in the park. And looking at the construction site, and what they've already built, I can't really see a Cambodian jungle taking shape. But you never know.

"At PortAventura, we mainly have open rides." Then mentions Templo del Fuego :p

Also, if he's visited Efteling then he should have a good idea of how pathetic PortAventura's dark ride offerings are, surely?

"At PortAventura, we mainly have open rides."

I think he meant that PA has mainly rides that are outside and not in a hall or a house. >:D

"At PortAventura, we mainly have open rides."

... some of them are closed midweek to save money though.