• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura World: Ferrari Land

You what now? Please do enlighten me!

Rock 'n' Rollercoaster and Space Mountain are very similar in terms of the actual coaster. They're both Vekoma, both launch, both indoors and both go around and around in circles for half the experience. Obviously the themes are completely different.

If those two attractions can sit next to each other I'm sure there will be no difference to Furius Baco and F1. Both offer completely different experiences with one being a wing rider and the other, well, whatever its called.

I've never said it was going to be a good Park. I was just merely stating its starting off as Walt Disney Studios did. Hopefully it will expand more rapidly.

Ferrari Land: The First Stone Presentation
Today marks the placing of the first stone of Ferrari Land by Sebastian Vettel. Throughout today's press conference details of Ferrari Land are expected to emerge.

As you can see from the latest concept art, the accelerator no longer includes an air time hump and now looks similar to Top Thrill Dragster as opposed to Stealth. The drop towers are now to the side of the coaster and the main building features a similar roof to Ferrari World.
13694_912037065516552_5379117604956699332_n.jpg

What's been released today so far?

• Europe's tallest and fastest rollercoaster: The accelerator coaster will reach a height of 112 metres (Europe's current tallest coaster Shambhala is 76 metres above ground level) and a speed of 180km/h.
  • The Park will cover a surface area of 75,000 square metres.
  • Ferrari Land will debut with eight attractions.
  • The Park will include two drop towers between the height of those in SesamoAventura and Hurakan Condor.
  • The new Park will also include a shopping, dining and entertainment district.
  • The Parks themed areas will include Italy, Spain and a F1 Race Circuit.
  • Ferrari Land's entrance plaza will be joined on to the current Plaza Aventura, the gateway to PortAventura Park and Costa Caribe Aquatic Park.
11036038_834243083278897_8287874388198806495_n.jpg

11147170_834253363277869_378909497088876522_n.jpg

11000336_834253406611198_2069376705866655191_n.jpg

10354872_1135191426506921_8867382173736413716_n.jpg

The original concept to compare:
2ferrari_land_1_584x318.jpg

Last edited:
So now we're seeing drop towers smaller than Condor... Strange choices...

So 3 of the attractions are the cred, towers and go-karts, what are the other 5?

So, let's break this down a little:
  • Intamin accelerator; 367ft tall and 0-112mph in 5 seconds (this will make it the fifth tallest in the world and the third fastest)
  • Two drop towers that are no longer attached to the coaster
  • Some form of race track attraction
  • 4 or 5 other attractions (depending on whether they class the drop towers as one or two attractions)
  • 3 themed areas
  • 75,000 square meters which equal 7.5 hectares
This is not a theme park. It is a glorified theme park area. 7.5 hectares is tiny for a theme park. To keep the Walt Disney Studios comparision going, that is around 25 hectares. The fact that the coaster streches the length of the park demonstrates that it really is not big.

A positive is that this new concept looks better than the original concept.

The pricing of this is going to be very interesting.

:)

According to screenshots from today's presentation the rollercoaster will be the 4th tallest in the world.
11204994_10153247191894534_6223134154057405296_n.jpg

Last edited:
According to screenshots from today's presentation the rollercoaster will be the 4th tallest in the world.

Well if it is indeed 367 ft tall they have got that wrong:

1st - 456 ft, Kingda Ka, Six Flags Great Adventure
2nd - 420 ft, Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point
3rd - 415 ft, Superman: Escape from Krypton, Six Flags Magic Mountain
4th - 377.3 ft, Tower of Terror II, Dreamworld

Stats from RCDB

Well if it is indeed 367 ft tall they have got that wrong:

1st - 456 ft, Kingda Ka, Six Flags Great Adventure
2nd - 420 ft, Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point
3rd - 415 ft, Superman: Escape from Krypton, Six Flags Magic Mountain
4th - 377.3 ft, Tower of Terror II, Dreamworld

Stats from RCDB

Probably measuring it from sea level, using the standard BPB tactic.

The two drop towers look like S&S towers so imagine they could be Shot and Drop tower so atleast would be different to their Intamin Giant Drop, as if its just a drop tower makes no sense to add them.

I am not bothered by the fact they will have two Intamin accelerator coasters as both different and hopefully the new one will actually be rideable! I would imagine the other 5 attractions will include the Ferrari driving simulators, a kiddie car track ride and a couple of the cinema/simulator based attractions from Ferrari world.

Would still rather they had added a new land with major coaster at the existing park though. I also Can't see them adding much to the main park until at least 2018 now and longer before we see another major coaster,

I'm not excited for this although I'm glad they're connecting it's entrance to the current palza. As I had some concerns this would be 'out the way' and not connected to the resort that well.

It's not really big enough to pass off as a new theme park, although it may improve overtime if PA decide to add more.

Hmmm.

I don't really have much of a view on this.

Budget Top Thrill and fairly standard Towers.

Some more concept images:

th720_0b00b70aabac28bfa649eeaee634fcde.jpg

th720_de6b151ee3d1f598ec23a33bb873d639.jpg

th720_5b97e8500134f245bb06db7979056bb3.jpg

th720_c91bf693c9deeb40f3e0fb6c6c38d8b1.jpg

The tower rides certainly looks more like S&S shot/drop towers which at least is something different compared to Condor. Failing that apparently the tower that has been removed from Ferarri World Abu Dhabi was a Huss, so PA could well be getting this second hand tower along with a new tower.

More parks need a Mystery Castle. Now that's a tower ride that offered something different and give a real sense of speed. If these are shot towers they would at least be more interesting.

I also can't imagine anyone visiting this without a combo ticket to the main park. Continuing the comparisons to WDS even now I wouldn't spend the whole day there without venturing into the main park (although the opening hours are a big factor).

Err... why the hell has the top of Venice's Campanile been lopped off and installed in this park themed around fast cars for dickheads? Looks ridiculous.

I have to say I wasn't very excited about Ferrari Land from the first concepts but after seeing these latest ones showing the Italian theme throughout the Park it's starting to sway my opinion. With 90% of the Park going for the Italian theme as opposed to the generic Ferrari theme it nicely ties the Park in with the whole Resort concept of travelling around the world.

Ferrari Land: Phase 2
It was also mentioned yesterday that the new 5* Superior Hotel Ferrari will not be opening with the Park in late 2016 / early 2017. It is to be built as part of a second phase of the project and is not included in the €100 million price tag, which now indicates is solely for the Park. As part of Phase 2 could we also see a possible Park expansion?

Last edited:
Given the park is going to be minute, an expansion would be welcome.

Some of theming looks very nice.

I'm loving the Italian streets on the concept art. I think it'll make a very pleasant shopping and dining area. Hopefully it'll be pulled off as well as La Rambla in Mediterrania.

Earlier today PAC posted a height comparison diagram of Dragon Khan, Shambhala and the new coaster. Anyone who has stood next to Shambhala will know just how huge it is, so to see this comparison of the height of the new coaster is crazy!

9449_938664199487874_1271456077878629457_n.png

Photo PAC

Also PortAventura&Friends and VideoReview Parks covered the conference below:

Last edited:
...but if you've been on Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka...

;)

(Yes, I know barely any will have been but at least I've an excuse for not being overly keen on this)

Intamin have barely sold any accelerators in the past few years.

This park is so corporate looking.

I've just been taking a look at Ferrari World's official website and it appears a few years ago they opened a new attraction called 'Viaggio in Italy' (Flying over Italy) which is their version of Soarin' at Disney Parks. Could we see an attraction like this in the large building in the centre of Ferrari Land? Personally I'd love to see an attraction like this at PortAventura and I think Flying over Italy would be a great addition to the Park.

Here's a quick video of it's launch at Ferrari World:

Last edited:
This looks fine for a park expansion, it's just nowhere near big enough for a 2nd gate (3rd if you include the water park.

I'll be honest, I love PA dearly and would defend the park - but this just fails to hit the spot for me. The whole project just seems so strange and to have it as a separate ticket is just odd as there isn't enough there to warrant it. Disappointed is an understatement.