• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura World: Ferrari Land

siralgenon

TS Member
Ferrari Land will begin vertical construction on May 7 and is now scheduled to open late 2016 / early 2017.

Now construction has begun I thought Ferrari Land deserved it's own topic with it being a separate park to PortAventura Park and Costa Caribe Aquatic Park at PortAventura Resort.

In the latest press release by DIARI de Taragonna PortAventura have stated Ferrari Land is now scheduled to open later than its previous date of Spring 2016. As previously stated in the initial press release, as well as the Ferrari Land Park, the development will also feature a 5* Superior Hotel (Hotel Ferrari) with 250 bedrooms, restaurants, shops, car racing simulators and a outdoor pool with slides and cabanas.

The article also goes on to say PortAventura opened its door on May 1 1995 and has spent 20 years as a Theme Park Resort with 5 Resort Hotels (with more than 2000 rooms), a convention centre, three golf courses, a beach club, Waterpark and Theme Park which began with the initial price tag of 300 million euros. By 2015 PortAventura has now quadrupled its amount of shows and has 49 attractions (compared to the initial 29 in 1995), has 47 gastronomy locations and 56 shops. Since opening PortAventura has had over 60 million guests and 9.5 million overnight stays which puts it among the top 5 theme park resorts in the world according to Trip Advisor. After the construction of Ferrari Land the Resort still has over 70 acres of free land for expansion.

Source: http://www.diaridetarragona.com/costa/39119/ferrari-land-comenzara-a-construirse-el-7-de-mayo

So in other words...

It's delayed.

I'm unsure on the purpose of that self promoting claptrap.

A park has expanded in 20 years? What major park hasn't?

So in other words...

It's delayed.

I'm unsure on the purpose of that self promoting claptrap.

A park has expanded in 20 years? What major park hasn't?

No matter what a Park is promoting they will always say what else the Resort already has and comment on what has been successful.

With construction begining shortly and the 20th Anniversary starting in 2 days they were bound to do a press release giving details about this year's new attraction and hotel.

Ferrari Simulators

Today new Ferrari driving simulators have been delivered to the Resort to begin advertising for Ferrari Land. Currently they're sat in the new main car park adjacent to Costa Caribe Aquatic Park.

11084264_10204876826618706_4050683406050106618_n.jpg

Photo from PortAventura Social Experience

Construction Diary 30/04/15

Diggers and JCB's are now on site and have begun digging up the car park.

Video: PACOMMUNITY

"Sebastian Vettel will lay the first stone of Ferrari Land on Thursday May 7"

"The German Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel, four times world champion of Formula One, will participate Thursday in the laying of the foundation stone of Ferrari Land in PortAventura. The president of the Generalitat of Catalonia, Artur Mas, and leading representatives of the Prancing Horse will also be present. The assistance of these personalities evidence that this is one of the most ambitious projects of the resort, which will invest one hundred million euros in what will be the first Ferrari theme park in Europe and second in the world after that of Abu Dhabi.

Its opening is planned for late 2016 or early 2017 and will be located in the former parking lot next to the Hotel PortAventura. "It will be the highest investment in a single product of the history of the resort," said his new general manager, Luis Herault, during the presentation of the new season.

PortAventura will release the details of Ferrari Land on Thursday. It will occupy an area of 75,000 square meters and have eight attractions, including the highest and rapid vertical accelerator Europe; restaurants, shopping area and race car simulators. It will also house a luxury five-star superior 250 room hotel dedicated to the Italian brand."

http://www.diaridetarragona.com/cos...la-primera-piedra-de-ferrari-land-este-jueves

Last edited:
PortAventura will release the details of Ferrari Land on Thursday. It will occupy an area of 75,000 square meters and have eight attractions

Remember how we all laughed about Towers saying they had over 40 attractions?

I know this is a new park, but unless they're all AAA-rides (which they won't be) that's a major disappointment.

Remember how we all laughed about Towers saying they had over 40 attractions?

I know this is a new park, but unless they're all AAA-rides (which they won't be) that's a major disappointment.

There was only meant to be three at the start so its an improvement. Correct me if Im wrong but I think its opening with more attractions than Walt Disney Studios Park? And PortAventura generally add new attractions on a yearly basis so opening with eight attractions doesn't bother me, especially knowing at least three are major.

There was only meant to be three at the start so its an improvement. Correct me if Im wrong but I think its opening with more attractions than Walt Disney Studios Park? And PortAventura generally add new attractions on a yearly basis so opening with eight attractions doesn't bother me, especially knowing at least three are major.

Where is the mention of any other major rides? The only thing it actually mentions is the accelerator, and presumably the drop tower attached to it. And given Hurakan Condor's existence, the second of those doesn't entice me whatsoever.

Comparing this to WDS is possibly the funniest thing I've ever read on here.

It has a race circuit, the tallest drop towers in Europe, and the tallest and fastest coaster in Europe. I'd say they're three pretty major attractions. Walt Disney Studios Park only opened with about 8 attractions when it debuted, and only a few of those were major.

It has a race circuit, the tallest drop towers in Europe, and the tallest and fastest coaster in Europe. I'd say they're three pretty major attractions. Walt Disney Studios Park only opened with about 8 attractions when it debuted, and only a few of those were major.

The tallest drop towers in Europe? How tall is this coaster exactly? From what I've read the rumours said 328ft, and going by Zumanjaro/Kingda Ka (which it will presumably be based off), the discrepancy between the height of the coaster and the height of the drop tower is about 10%. Which if applied to the 328ft figure would put it below Atmosfear's 300ft drop. And even if it does make it over 300ft, it will be barely - and with no more thrill than Condor.

Also, Walt Disney Studios opened with the Tower of Terror, which is one of the greatest dark rides in existence, and on its own cost €180 million; almost double what this entire investment is costing PA. The theming is incomparable, even given WDS's lack of living up to the Disney standard.

The tallest drop towers in Europe? How tall is this coaster exactly? From what I've read the rumours said 328ft, and going by Zumanjaro/Kingda Ka (which it will presumably be based off), the discrepancy between the height of the coaster and the height of the drop tower is about 10%. Which if applied to the 328ft figure would put it below Atmosfear's 300ft drop. And even if it does make it over 300ft, it will be barely - and with no more thrill than Condor.

Also, Walt Disney Studios opened with the Tower of Terror, which is one of the greatest dark rides in existence, and on its own cost €180 million; almost double what this entire investment is costing PA. The theming is incomparable, even given WDS's lack of living up to the Disney standard.

Walt Disney Studios Park didn't open with the Tower of Terror at all. Walt Disney Studios opened in 2002 and the Tower of Terror opened in 2008. And I don't know what them theming has got to do with how many attractions it has. It's a completely different themed Park.

Walt Disney Studios Park didn't open with the Tower of Terror at all. Walt Disney Studios opened in 2002 and the Tower of Terror opened in 2008. And I don't know what them theming has got to do with how many attractions it has. It's a completely different themed Park.

Because you've drawn a comparison between the two parks, not me. I'm pointing out how ridiculous the comparison is, given this development (if it looks like the Dubai version) will merely consist of every surface being coated in bright red PVC - which I wouldn't call similar to a park like WDS which is themed to an impeccable standard.

I'm assuming this race circuit is some kind of glorified Autopia/go-karts attraction. In which case I wouldn't say it's overly major and I can only imagine that the throughputs will be awful.

The biggest problem with this for me is that the two headline attraction, the accelerator and the drop tower, are just different versions of what the resort already has. It would be like Towers opening a second park with two major attractions being a B&M dive machine with two drops and a Huss suspended topspin. Just pointless!

Of all the awesome new projects in European parks over the next couple of years this for me is by far the least excting. In fact I'm most excited about seeing if the cool hotel concept actually comes to life.

:)

Because you've drawn a comparison between the two parks, not me. I'm pointing out how ridiculous the comparison is, given this development (if it looks like the Dubai version) will merely consist of every surface being coated in bright red PVC - which I wouldn't call similar to a park like WDS which is themed to an impeccable standard.

As in its a similar size with a similar amount of attractions. I never said anything about theming. In terms of major attractions Ferrari Land is opening with more than Walt Disney Studios did.

In relation to the two launch coasters, its no different to Disneyland Paris having Space Mountain Mission 2 in one Park and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster in the other.

As in its a similar size with a similar amount of attractions. I never said anything about theming. In terms of major attractions Ferrari Land is opening with more than Walt Disney Studios did.

In relation to the two launch coasters, its no different to Disneyland Paris having Space Mountain Mission 2 in one Park and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster in the other.

Well I think you'll agree, quality over quantity. It might have opened with less "attractions" (whatever PA's definition of that is), but the park was aesthetically miles ahead of what this will look like. And provided a complete contrast to the offering DLP had already, unlike this.

Well I think you'll agree, quality over quantity. It might have opened with less "attractions" (whatever PA's definition of that is), but the park was aesthetically miles ahead of what this will look like. And provided a complete contrast to the offering DLP had already, unlike this.

Well no, I don't agree. The buildings in Walt Disney Studios Park consist of concrete blocks and tin sheds and the two physical rides that opened with the Park (Flying Carpets and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster) were already in Disneyland Park under a different theme. So I still stand by my point that at the moment comparing back to 2002, there isn't much difference.

Yes, WDS was ridiculously poor to term a whole new park back in 2002, and fifteen years later, this attempt at PA doesn't look much better in those same terms.

Well no, I don't agree. The buildings in Walt Disney Studios Park consist of concrete blocks and tin sheds and the two physical rides that opened with the Park (Flying Carpets and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster) were already in Disneyland Park under a different theme. So I still stand by my point that at the moment comparing back to 2002, there isn't much difference.

You what now? Please do enlighten me!

Saying there isn't much difference between this and WDS when it opened sums up a lot that is going to be potentially wrong about this park. WDS is a great example of how not to go about a new theme park!

:)

The coaster and drop tower rides for this park are insane.

WHAT IS THE POINT of more drop towers?