• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

I don't think a change of Government would delay it much if at all. New government of either colour will be resuming work for only about 2 weeks after the election prior to the summer recess so it's already a constrained timeline to get anything done before that even before elections.

Could the general election announcement cause any delay in Universal coming to a decision about this project?

Presumably they will be in discussion with ministers and civil servants about elements of the project such as road and rail improvements and how those are to be paid for and delivered.

An election period and the purdah rules could cause a delay?
They'll be talking to Labour already regardless and Labour have been campaigning on loosening planning regulations to get the country building again. Sure the Department for Levelling Up can't get involved before the election, but were they really going to do that before July anyway? If anything I'd say a new government coming in quicker would be better for the project.

They'll be talking to Labour already regardless and Labour have been campaigning on loosening planning regulations to get the country building again. Sure the Department for Levelling Up can't get involved before the election, but were they really going to do that before July anyway? If anything I'd say a new government coming in quicker would be better for the project.
It is better, I'd rather the disruption now than when it's deep in the planning application phase. I'm a bit sceptical of Labours planning regs bonfire as I suspect it won't be quite as drastic as they are advertising. Either way I'm pretty confident a Labour government will be keen to get this done for some good press.

It is only six weeks, absolute peanuts on a project of this scale.
Like many other big projects, things will roll on without hesitation behind the scenes, but few announcements or public faced media until after the election.
Both parties will be more than happy to see this come to fruition...an election will make zero difference.

We're not gonna see them breaking ground til at least late 2025, and it sounds like they're aiming for a 2031 opening. So I'm fully confident that Universal have already baked in considerations for delays like this into the project timeline, hell they probably have planning approval and consultation delays baked in too.

I don't think there was any suggestion that the election would delay the construction and opening of the project (certainly not be me anyway) - simply that it might delay the announcement of the decision on whether they have decided to proceed or not, which I believe Universal stated would be June 2024, which is now smack in the middle of the election campaign.

It might or might not delay that announcement, but it is a possibility.

I don't think there was any suggestion that the election would delay the construction and opening of the project (certainly not be me anyway) - simply that it might delay the announcement of the decision on whether they have decided to proceed or not, which I believe Universal stated would be June 2024, which is now smack in the middle of the election campaign.

It might or might not delay that announcement, but it is a possibility.

I don't think the election would have a bearing on any announcement on Universal's side, they will announce on their schedule not ours. Of course if the greenlight decision was to get out, that might accelerate such an announcement, but the election? Nah.

Absolutely. The Department for Levelling up will not be allowed to grant it status as a project of national importance during this time, no other government department will be able to make any sort of announcement regarding support of the project either.
If the project has cross party support Purdah doesn’t necessarily come into play.

If labour support it they could form an agreement as it’s in the countries national interest.

If the project has cross party support Purdah doesn’t necessarily come into play.

If labour support it they could form an agreement as it’s in the countries national interest.
It does. The Civil Service / government cannot announce any new policy, new project, spending commitments or plans during Purdah. The guidance is extremely strict.

Individual parties can announce whatever plans or intentions they want. The caretaker government can't act, or announce, until after the election, lest it be accused of unfairly influencing the electorate.

I'm not sure why people think the government would have given the green light in the next six weeks. They need to submit a planning application first and I don't think that will happen until Autumn at the earliest. It will be next year before any sort of planning decision is made and the government to give it's approval

Don't think anyone has said that have they?
More might the election delay things...nobody on here suggested green light planning in six weeks at all...
But that anaesthetic may make my memory cloudy...

Don't think anyone has said that have they?
More might the election delay things...nobody on here suggested green light planning in six weeks at all...
But that anaesthetic may make my memory cloudy...
It implied that the election will somehow delay the decision to proceed, it won't. As I've said earlier it's much better to have this out of the way prior to any planning application.

It implied that the election will somehow delay the decision to proceed, it won't. As I've said earlier it's much better to have this out of the way prior to any planning application.
It's not the decision to proceed, it's that the government cannot get involved in this project until the election is over. It can't offer PR assistance, it can't offer departmental assistance behind what's already been agreed (if anything) and it can't be public about it.

It's possible that the project team need some advice, or assurances, before the final plan is put to the Universal board and it won't be able to get those until the election over. This may delay internal decisions somewhat, it may not, we don't actually know either way. It could be, as you've suggested, a blessing in disguise to get it over and done with sooner rather than later.

There are many internal government projects, which were due to be heard by funding / finance panels in the next few weeks, which have now been delayed until after the summer. This is because the government also can't commit to any new spending during the Purdah period. This would include transport, power, general infrastructure stuff, which may indirectly impact the Universal project.

The project is in early stages and a government shut down might not actually have any impact at all, but it also could. It's entirely speculation at this point, much like everything else.

I was merely clarifying that cross party support on a project does not mean that Purdah rules won't apply still for the government. Individual parties can announce whatever they want, the government can't for the moment.

It does. The Civil Service / government cannot announce any new policy, new project, spending commitments or plans during Purdah. The guidance is extremely strict.

Individual parties can announce whatever plans or intentions they want. The caretaker government can't act, or announce, until after the election, lest it be accused of unfairly influencing the electorate.
It doesn’t, it’s noted in the guidance that’s been sent out to civil servants.

I’m not saying this is one of those projects but it says projects of national significance with cross party support may still go ahead be behind the scenes.

Anyway I think we’re all in agreement this won’t have any material impact on the timelines anyway which is the main thing.

The June date was an estimate from Universal, things can and will change as things progress due to a myriad of different factors - not just a general election. I’m all for speculation about the park, but I don’t think we need to get into the intricacies of Civil Service guidance during elections. It’s well beyond what the vast majority people are looking for in terms of speculation and discussion in this topic :)

The June date was an estimate from Universal, things can and will change as things progress due to a myriad of different factors - not just a general election. I’m all for speculation about the park, but I don’t think we need to get into the intricacies of Civil Service guidance during elections. It’s well beyond what the vast majority people are looking for in terms of speculation and discussion in this topic :)

I've zoned out most of the civil service talk, it was much the same over on Inside Universal pages of deep civil service talk and it read like gibberish to my uneducated eyes.

But if it helps, Alicia on IU (the breaker of the Bedford location news) has predicted a decision from Universal to come out very early in June. I expect any decision news will probably come from Bedford's MP, he's been very forthcoming recently.

I'm not sure why people think the government would have given the green light in the next six weeks. They need to submit a planning application first and I don't think that will happen until Autumn at the earliest. It will be next year before any sort of planning decision is made and the government to give it's approval

Do you need a planning application in the traditional sense with a special development order? That is what they are going for, I do not think in all cases you need to submit a conventional planning application for an SDO?

I could be wrong but that is how I was under the impression they work as the SDO in itself is planning permission to build whatever they want on the land, within certain limitations and rules set out in the SDO. You couldn't for example go and build a 500ft rollercoaster if the SDO says the maximum permitted building heght is 300ft. You would however have automatic planning permission to build that rollercoaster however you wanted if you built it within 300ft.

Last edited:
I've zoned out most of the civil service talk, it was much the same over on Inside Universal pages of deep civil service talk and it read like gibberish to my uneducated eyes.

But if it helps, Alicia on IU (the breaker of the Bedford location news) has predicted a decision from Universal to come out very early in June. I expect any decision news will probably come from Bedford's MP, he's been very forthcoming recently.
Oh well if Alicia on IU said it...but she has predicted...nothing more.
People on social media predict lots of things...it is only when two predict that things become true.

Oh well if Alicia on IU said it...but she has predicted...nothing more.
People on social media predict lots of things...it is only when two predict that things become true.

Agreed but I figure of anyone that speculates on these matters she probably has the best idea of what's going on. I never said she would be right or anything, just thought it was an interesting prediction to relay so we have more than the civil service to discuss.