• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

Oh well if Alicia on IU said it...but she has predicted...nothing more.
People on social media predict lots of things...it is only when two predict that things become true.

I browse the IU forums, and I'd argue Alicia is undoubtedly the most tuned in and respected 'insider' in the business, at least for Universal matters. As well as her track record, she is easy to respect as she tends to avoid the smug pitfalls of other self-appointed power-thoosies.

Saying that, the intricacies of Bedford Town Council represents another game entirely.

But predictions are just that.
Informed quesswork...
To be honest, as this project may not actually open in my lifetime...I will jump back in if I can in five years or so!

We don’t really need to argue against what’s true or not, especially when it was stated in the post that it was a prediction. Choose to take it on board, counter why you think it’s not the case with some predictions of your own or just ignore it - otherwise we’re just going completely off topic.

Additionally, if said predictions/information is on other sites could we please link to said posts/articles? Not only would some on here like to read the full posts you’re referring to, just like posting photos it’s also a courtesy to the author of that information to drop a proper credit. Thanks :)

After an incredibly wet (but still fun) day at Drayton yesterday we were longing for Universal to exist, especially with the run of wet days we have had recently.

Huddling under a sheltered table area with hundreds of others because the alternative is queuing in torrential rain or getting battered by it on the rides, just imagine a British park where you have a plethora of high quality indoor attractions no matter the weather.

Would it be fair to say this will be the least favourable climate of a Universal park if it happens? I know Florida and Singapore have their extremes but they’re generally more sporadic and temperature less of an issue, whilst a 365 park in England faces months of cold, wet windy weather.

After an incredibly wet (but still fun) day at Drayton yesterday we were longing for Universal to exist, especially with the run of wet days we have had recently.

Huddling under a sheltered table area with hundreds of others because the alternative is queuing in torrential rain or getting battered by it on the rides, just imagine a British park where you have a plethora of high quality indoor attractions no matter the weather.

Would it be fair to say this will be the least favourable climate of a Universal park if it happens? I know Florida and Singapore have their extremes but they’re generally more sporadic and temperature less of an issue, whilst a 365 park in England faces months of cold, wet windy weather.
The South has better weather than the midlands and north. I'd also point out that Disneyland Paris has an almost identical climate and functions perfectly fine.

I've done the comparisions and the amount of rain that UGB would get vs Orlando isn't even a contest, Orlando gets more, alot more. The amount of rainy days are in the same ball park too, even our recent spat of unrelenting rain doesn't top the Orlando rain.

https://forums.insideuniversal.net/threads/universal-great-britain.16149/post-1043189 Where I did comparisons.

Sorry to drag the Beach in here, but it used to be a top notch hard rain attraction...
Over time admittedly...

Noah's Ark, so appropriate in an all day shower, as we call them on the Fylde...
Then an hour or two in the Funhouse.
Then admire the nice roofwork on the derby racer, alice, ghost train, river caves, space tower, camera obscura, goldmine and monorail.
The majesty of watching Poirot in his gondola, in the Blue grotto of Capri, as the river caves young lovers sail past below, and the Goldmine rolls by at eye level...eating a cream tea on the Magnolia Cafe balcony, genuine twisted corn railings from the southern states to highlight the power of king cotton in Lancashire .
Same slow tune for decades...steam rising from all the wet coats seeking shelter, forming a mist on the river caves lagoon.

Space Invader for the coaster freaks, covered carriages on the train, then the nice covered cablecars from the space invader back to the entrance.
Tom Sawyer rafts had a nice roof as well, twenty minutes shelter on there if you managed to miss the logflume boats splash.

Fifteen reasonably dry attractions, a dozen bars, arcedes aplenty, sheltered gamestalls, and covered seating and eating in half a dozen differently themed places around the park, american diner, bean st, cresta cafe.
It rains sometimes in Lancashire.
Wet days on the Beach...Crevettes balcony has a canopy, the staff have hot water bottles.
Love it in the rain...the coasters are faster, the queues are shorter.
And skin remains waterproof, for long periods of time.

Last edited:
The South has better weather than the midlands and north. I'd also point out that Disneyland Paris has an almost identical climate and functions perfectly fine.
Yeah I’d say southern weather here is on par with Paris, maybe not quite so hot hot during the summer but mostly dry, sunny and far warmer than 60 miles further north where the climate completely changes.

And it’ll rarely be as cold as Paris during the winter which imo is a huge bonus.

Chances are it’ll just be overcast instead of it being sunny, rainy or bitterly cold.

Overgeneralisation award nomination.
Generally, the west is much wetter than the east, due to prevailing winds.
Climate change means more winds blowing from the east, hence Yorkshire floods becoming more common.
As a good Lancastrian, I'm well used to rain...a lover of it, it gets me to the coasters more frequently than in the dry stuff.

But when it rains properly in the west country...it is like nothing else in the country.
A days rain in ten minutes, then back to sunshine.
Knock you off your feet in seconds rain.
Bits of the south are very very wet.

I was comparing with other Universal parks that exist globally.

Though as you mention DLP, the majority of attractions are indoors which kind of proves my point!

I've done the comparisions and the amount of rain that UGB would get vs Orlando isn't even a contest, Orlando gets more, alot more. The amount of rainy days are in the same ball park too, even our recent spat of unrelenting rain doesn't top the Orlando rain.

https://forums.insideuniversal.net/threads/universal-great-britain.16149/post-1043189 Where I did comparisons.

Thanks! I’m sure Singapore gets more too but it’s quite different being in the rain when it’s 27c versus say 4c in the winter months.

The overall climate seems less favourable versus pure rainfall count. Obviously we Brits are used to it but there’s a good reason most of the parks here can’t or won’t open much in the Winter and you have to imagine or hope Universal will be planning to be truly 365 like they are elsewhere in the world.

Universal Beijing has much more unfavourable weather with more extremes with very cold temperatures and snow to very hot and a lot of rain.

When Universal were doing their public consultations during their presentation they stated that the weather isn’t a concern or issue for them as they have to deal with worse elsewhere.

Yeah that's the thing, people think our weather is terrible but for the most part, we don't see extended periods of extremely hot or cold weather, extended periods of heavy rain or snow, etc, it's fairly mild and variable in comparison to other parts of the world where they operate. I can't fathom Universal opening a park and not having it operate 365, it just wouldn't make sense.

But in Orlando it is often an afternoon rain storm for 2-3hours and the temperature is higher so if you do get wet its not as miserable. In the UK the rain isn't as predictable and it is colder about 9 months of the year.

But in Orlando it is often an afternoon rain storm for 2-3hours and the temperature is higher so if you do get wet its not as miserable. In the UK the rain isn't as predictable and it is colder about 9 months of the year.

As long as they have indoor queueing and a good collection of indoor rides it'll be fine. People can wear a coat if it's chilly, it's not like we're gonna get hurricanes or anything. Honestly you can have a bunch of 'outdoor' rides if you have indoor queueing to help prevent people getting soaked waiting, our weather isn't a big issue.

As long as they have indoor queueing and a good collection of indoor rides it'll be fine. People can wear a coat if it's chilly, it's not like we're gonna get hurricanes or anything. Honestly you can have a bunch of 'outdoor' rides if you have indoor queueing to help prevent people getting soaked waiting, our weather isn't a big issue.

It’s not a big issue but it is an issue for the existing parks here. Very excited to see what they are planning in regards to indoor vs outdoor attractions.

It really is for some of us...
For several reasons.
Try working in it, painting in it, cutting grass in it.

Our weather really is an issue, for park construction planning as well.

I've done all of those and again it's not a big issue in the context of visiting a theme park - especially not one that will build in such a way to minimise getting wet while queueing.

As for it being a park construction issue, is it though? If you come at the project with the understanding that you have to cater your build towards indoor queueing and having a good collection of indoor rides it suddenly doesn't become an issue. As for the weather causing actual issues with the construction itself, if Universal can build in Orlando with it's frequent storms and risk of hurricanes then I'm sure they can cope with it raining a bit in Bedford.

Frankly the problems with weather itself basically boils down to; it won't be sunny much and it gets a bit chilly in autumn and winter. DLP has very similar weather and they get on just fine, Beijing also has similar weather though is a bit more extreme and they do fine too. We'll be alright with the weather.

The team also have a lot of time to plan virtual queueing systems that will reduce time spent in potentially rainy physical queues and increase time spent in covered additional spend areas (Mt Doom Fondues, etc.).