• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

The trains on that look a bit like a jet ski for me. Very random. Although I'm sure as a ride and experience it will be good.

Whilst I hate TWoDW and would hope this would indicate an overhaul, from what I can tell it is most likely that the surrounding area will be utilised to create an entirely new themed area. TWoDW is still relatively new, and the space that was formerly coaster corner clearly is large enough to facilitate a newly themed area. I agree however that TWoDW was probably intended as a relatively short term, cheap quick fix, and won't be around for many more years to come (or at least I hope), and the same for the dungeons. As someone else asked, does anyone know how busy the dungeons get nowadays? Is it dead enough now to warrant finally getting rid?

In terms of ride, I imagine a dark ride is more likely than a coaster, as people have said even within a building it would be near impossible to eliminate the sounds of never mind a coaster but furthermore the screams of people on it. I'm somewhat torn though, as the work on Duel indicates a new family attraction being advertised, and the retrack of Nemesis indicates a 'new' thrill attraction being advertised both in the somewhat near future, so it makes it difficult to stipulate what marketing angle will be used on this new indoor attraction. And close proximity to TWoDW makes me torn as to whether the potential new area will be themed as child friendly, to work alongside it, or more thrill based, in order to contrast it and appeal to perhaps older siblings whose little siblings are in TWoDW.

Personally, I would hope for a well themed indoor coaster, integrated into a newly themed area

Whilst I hate TWoDW and would hope this would indicate an overhaul, from what I can tell it is most likely that the surrounding area will be utilised to create an entirely new themed area. TWoDW is still relatively new, and the space that was formerly coaster corner clearly is large enough to facilitate a newly themed area. I agree however that TWoDW was probably intended as a relatively short term, cheap quick fix, and won't be around for many more years to come (or at least I hope), and the same for the dungeons. As someone else asked, does anyone know how busy the dungeons get nowadays? Is it dead enough now to warrant finally getting rid?

In terms of ride, I imagine a dark ride is more likely than a coaster, as people have said even within a building it would be near impossible to eliminate the sounds of never mind a coaster but furthermore the screams of people on it. I'm somewhat torn though, as the work on Duel indicates a new family attraction being advertised, and the retrack of Nemesis indicates a 'new' thrill attraction being advertised both in the somewhat near future, so it makes it difficult to stipulate what marketing angle will be used on this new indoor attraction. And close proximity to TWoDW makes me torn as to whether the potential new area will be themed as child friendly, to work alongside it, or more thrill based, in order to contrast it and appeal to perhaps older siblings whose little siblings are in TWoDW.

Personally, I would hope for a well themed indoor coaster, integrated into a newly themed area
As I have said many times before, I'd rather Towers dust off the Port Discovery plans and used them for the area instead of TWODW, it honestly would've been not only far better but, if done well, could have been likely the best themed area Towers would have seen and BTW, who doesn't love a steampunk theme? :p

I'm wondering if not only its a family indoor coaster but also they somehow squeeze a dark ride of some kind within it. It is a large area and if they were to use both the Mouse and Beast sites as one large building, the idea of placing two rides within the same building in a way like Alice in Wonderland and River Caves are like at BPB then it's not a bad shout and it would kill two birds with one stone by having two undercover rides that would give guests more choice when there is bad weather.

That said, someone on here mentioned that the Nickelodeon building could fit in a small interactive dark ride within it which would make up with the loss of the guns on Duel for those who want that sort of thing though it could very well be what is built on the Mouse site after all and goodness knows where a rethemed Dungeons would fit in to this new area.

One question I have for those suggesting that this ride will be in a new separate area to TWODW and will result in that area shrinking… what will they do if they ever decide to reuse the Dungeons ride system as a family dark ride again, as I thought it was always thought that that ride would be integrated into TWODW at some stage?

The more I see, the more I too think that this new ride will be in a separate area, but this new development does throw the fate of the Dungeons into question a lot more. What options for expansion does TWODW feasibly have if that building is taken out of the equation (due to new area splitting up TWODW and Dungeons) and a new area is built on the leftmost edge of TWODW? It’s completely landlocked on the right, so they are a bit stuck.

The irony of TWODW being cheaply built with just a paint job and some bits of scenery actually helps in the long term if they retheme the area, again. Had the area been well themed then honestly we could all agree that TWODW is here for the long term.

With it being clearly a short term theme, retheming the area into something more substantial could easily be done that is if they are planning to add more to the area to actually improve the theming though honestly I have no clue if more had been planned before before being cut or if the whole thing was just a quick stop gap that can be replaced within the next few years.

Wasn’t CATCF incorporated into CCL though? The same distance away?
I think it could go either way, really.

CATCF always felt a little orphaned from the main body of CCL, and the introduction of the Alton Towers Dungeon never really had much impact on CCL/TWODW, in my opinion. It's felt more like part of Fountain Square than CCL/TWODW in recent years (to me, anyway). CATCF was always technically considered part of CCL, however, and it was always considered part of Cred Street before that.

As for how that relates to the new attraction; it could be part of TWODW. It could also be part of a wholly separate new area. I personally suspect the latter, as I think they'd have to add quite a lot of new attractions onto a path to link it to TWODW without it feeling too separated from the main body of the area, but it could go either way.

I think it could go either way, really.

CATCF always felt a little orphaned from the main body of CCL, and the introduction of the Alton Towers Dungeon never really had much impact on CCL/TWODW, in my opinion. It's felt more like part of Fountain Square than CCL/TWODW in recent years (to me, anyway). CATCF was always considered part of CCL, however, and it was always considered part of Cred Street before that.

As for how that relates to the new attraction; it could be part of TWODW. It could also be part of a wholly separate new area. I personally suspect the latter, as I think they'd have to add quite a lot of new attractions onto a path to link it to TWODW without it feeling too separated from the main body of the area, but it could go either way.
Yes I also think it’ll be a new area, but I guess there’s a possibility we might find out some basic details like this on the 19th, but I guess that depends on appropriate questions being asked

The 19th can't come quick enough.

What do we think will come from the consultation? And how quickly will this lead to a planning application

And how quickly will this lead to a planning application
Based on Project Amazon at Chessington (May consultation, August planning application) and Project Exodus at Thorpe Park (December consultation, March planning application), I'd guess that we'll be seeing a full planning application somewhere around Christmas.

Yes, but even then I personally felt it felt separate to CCL.

Just my opinion.
The whole layout of that area of the park has felt disjointed for years in my view.
Honestly, having a better layout for the Dungeons and TWODW having a better access alongside this new attraction would actually benefit the area just as any new attraction would have done TBH.

It's sad to hear some of the views expressed in the last few posts. The current day Burger Kitchen right up to current day Driving school was built as one coherent area. It was the parks first themed area as Talbot Street and it was excellent, full of life and character.

You used to walk up from fountain Square, through the beautiful trees and see the Skyride Station, Talbot restaurant, the large facade of 80 days and loads of themed building fronts housing attractions. It really was quite immersive and felt like a grand Victorian Street. The trees themselves or the archway made it feel like you were entering a separate area from Fountain Square, which itself felt more like a hub leading to Talbot Street/Land of Make Believe and Festival Park

I'd argue that, starting with Make Believe and Toyland (still a great area) it got diluted over the years with reckless decisions. It really was a great area for families and felt very much whole as its design was intended. Charlie watered it down more with a 2d looking chocolate factory facade spoiling the style of the area. Now it's laughably bad. It's not even a shadow of its former self. A fairly pretty looking restaurant painted in diarrhoea colours, followed by plain black walls and a straw looking fence with a cheap Dungeon entrance, followed itself by what now looks like a small back alley tucked away behind the Towers with flat building fronts painted poorly in plain primary colours. It's vandalism of a well designed area.

Back when it was Talbot St, it did manage to still feel like a complete and coherent area even with access to what was a separate area in the corner of it. It's not ideal, but I see no reason why they couldn't do it again and I think the alternative options are even worse. The best option is to reunite the whole area from Burger Kitchen to Driving School and just accept that in order to develop coaster corner, there's a walkthrough in the corner of the area. The alternative is to make the cheap back alley feel of Walliams World even worse by making it even smaller again and enlarging the weird limbo area in between it and the restaurant.

Storybook Land (v2)

Ice Age repurposed with a new 4D show integrating a live actor in a similar form to (ex)DLP's Cinemagique, Sir Algenon invents a new machine which allows him to enter the books in his library and we see Algenon hopping in and out of different books this of course goes wrong and all the books are brought into the real world.

The rest of the land is filled with rides themed around various books, Merlin get to use their beloved IPs including a strong book IPs (pick something old and its cheap) for the new ride and/or Dungeons retheme but we are not stuck to a single IP for the area and Gangsta Granny remains along with Raj's shop as Merlin spent their christmas vouchers from their nan on that ride.

You are welcome.