• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Availability/Operations 2022-24

It could well be they have the construction folks on site and this is their window to get it done.

Hasn’t the work on project Ocean pretty much been finished now?

There’s definitely an issue with ageing hardware, but that’s entirely the park’s fault and entirely within their control to fix. Other parks demonstrate that it’s entirely possible to maintain good ride availability with aged hardware if they’re are operated/maintained in the correct way.

The perpetual decline of ride availability at the park appears to me to be indicative of poorer operation/maintenance practices than parks with similarly aged hardware. The new management have had more than sufficient time to arrest the decline, if not reverse it. Unfortunately it actually appears to be heading in the opposite direction, which can only be an indictment of the current situation.

I agree and disagree with this, on the one hand I can’t think of a park that has such an array of complex roller coasters that are getting old.

1) Worlds first B&M dive coaster (26yrs)
2) Worlds first B&M flyer (22yrs)
3) intamin accelerator (not many left)
4) Crap manufacturers spinning coaster.
5) Prototype intamin drop coaster

That said it’s another of Tussaud/ Merlin’s decisions coming home to roost, if you just buy prototypes then don’t expect them to be easy to maintain in 20yrs time.

Europa Park?

They’ve got no end of prototypes, some extraordinarily complex ride systems (Voltron and Arthur are more involved than any Towers coasters), significantly more rides generally, longer operating hours, a longer operating season, and yet they have a negligible amount of downtime.
Prototypes of 3/4 months and 10 years old, vs prototypes rapidly approaching their 30s.

Europa Park?

They’ve got no end of prototypes, some extraordinarily complex ride systems (Voltron and Arthur are more involved than any Towers coasters), significantly more rides generally, longer operating hours, a longer operating season, and yet they have a negligible amount of downtime.

They are far younger.

If you look at Europa’s 20+ year old coaster stock it’s now really just Euromir and Silverstar. That’s not a criticism, EP have been refreshing or setting fire to their old rides for the last 6 years so much has been refreshed.

They are far younger.

If you look at Europa’s 20+ year old coaster stock it’s now really just Euromir and Silverstar. That’s not a criticism, EP have been refreshing or setting fire to their old rides for the last 6 years so much has been refreshed.
Isn’t Schweizer Bobbahn also well over 20 years old, if I’m not mistaken?

They are far younger.

That’s just not right.

Alton have Oblivion, RMT, Galactica and Spinball which are 20+ years old.

Europa have Silver Star, Matterhorn Blitz, Poseidon, Mir and Schweizer Bobbahn.

Five a piece.

That’s just not right.

Alton have Oblivion, RMT, Galactica and Spinball which are 20+ years old.

Europa have Silver Star, Matterhorn Blitz, Poseidon, Mir and Schweizer Bobbahn.

Five a piece.

Prototype dive, prototype flyer. Far more complex then the rides listed for EP.

As I say it’s not a critique of EP or a defence of AT, EP have kept their ride stock younger and fresher as well as having better maintenance and to be fair also manufacturer all but one of the rides on the list so have easy access to parts etc. But I don’t think you can dismiss the general complexity of AT’s rides, a symptom of their need to always have the USP but still they are not simple beasts.

Whilst I won’t defend the current situation on availability (because it’s pretty indefensible) it’s worth recognising that when it comes to older attractions in the last couple of years there has been ongoing investment, which appears to be a marked change from the last 10 years.

Spinball, Curse and Nemesis have all had new operating systems and Skyride is having an overhaul.

I have no idea what is in store for Galactica for 2025, but I hope that it includes technical upgrades if they are required and not just some new theming.

They don’t deserve to win any awards for this stuff, but it’s worth pointing out in my view that there does appear to have been a shift in making longer term investments in older attractions and not just patching them up.

You know when I said that 1 or 2 rides being closed isn’t an issue…well today is a different story. Most the rides being delayed is becoming an issue

One hour in and Smiler, Wickerman and Galactica just opened.
Nemesis still shut (RIP early ride time hotel guests)
Just another day at towers

Funnily enough after the early season ribbing 13 got.. it’s been the only ride open consistently for opening recently