• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Availability/Operations 2022-24

One hour in and Smiler, Wickerman and Galactica just opened.
Nemesis still shut (RIP early ride time hotel guests)
Just another day at towers
One hour in and Colossus, Hyperia and Nemesis Inferno have only just opened at Thorpe Park. SAW: The Ride is still closed, along with Ghost Train (doesn't open until 12 pm).

It's not exclusive to Alton Towers.

Well for the first time in how many years it looks like Galactica is on 3 trains on a 4pm close so that’s a positive

I think a number of UK parks have some degree of issues with ride availability at the moment. While from my personal experiences Thorpe Park seems to have suffered slightly less than Alton Towers (while the two were equal today, you can’t assess the situation conclusively based on one day alone), it still isn’t perfect, with the odd extended closure and breakdown here and there being par for the course most days. If anything, my one experience at Legoland probably had the best ride availability of any Merlin park I’ve visited this year; when I was there on 9th June, I didn’t notice any notable breakdowns or closures.

I don’t think it’s exclusive to Merlin either. I’m led to believe that Blackpool Pleasure Beach has had a number of things closed and breaking down, as has Drayton Manor, and even Paultons Park, while generally faring a lot better than most, has not gotten off completely unscathed, with extended downtime on their log flume and a couple of other smaller rides this year.

Could Brexit possibly be an issue for the UK parks? It must be harder for parks to get parts and things in to rectify extended closures and issues, which will surely make downtime worse.

Last edited:
Galactica on 2 just doesn’t work. The RPH just plummets and you end up 70 mins even on a dead day.

More cost savings over guest experience I’m afraid .
Feels like Ocean needs to be funded through cuts and savings

Galactica on 2 just doesn’t work. The RPH just plummets and you end up 70 mins even on a dead day
Agreed I think Oblivion copes with the reduced capacity much better. Even when Oblivion is on 1 station it doesn’t usually go above 40 mins

it’s not a race to the bottom. It’s not good enough at all the Merlin parks

Legoland usually has all rides operating at opening in my experience.

Chessington generally fine too.

Seems more of an issue for the big coasters at Thorpe and Alton.

It's strange to me how awful AT are when it comes to the op's on Galactica, if you've been lucky enough to visit other parks where flyers operate they don't seem to have the same issue. I was at SFGA a few month ago and the op's on Superman were crazy fast, no ride op's standing around talking and joking amongst themselves...they were focused entirely on one thing and that was speedy dispatch times.

Legoland usually has all rides operating at opening in my experience.

Chessington generally fine too.

Seems more of an issue for the big coasters at Thorpe and Alton.
They might be operating but in my experience their throughput is woeful… just being open isn’t the only thing to worry about. Getting punters on it and off it quickly is key, LLW and Chessington really struggle with this.

Not saying towers or Thorpe are perfect in this regard either, but I think they are better (most of the time).

Last edited:
They might be operating but in my experience their throughput is woeful… just being open isn’t the only thing to worry about. Getting punters on it and off it quickly is key, LLW and Chessington really struggle with this.
This is why manufacturers shouldn’t go for single car vehicles. First thing you should consider when building an attraction is surely reaching 900+ an hour capacity

Not only that, but I’ve seen plenty of people reach the front of a queue to be ASTONISHED there is a coaster for them to get on. They stand, frozen like a rabbit in headlights, and I wonder what did they expect??? Or they haven’t put their crap in their bag, or they’ve not read the sign about where to put their stuff.

People. Good grief. Ban them all.

One hour in and Colossus, Hyperia and Nemesis Inferno have only just opened at Thorpe Park. SAW: The Ride is still closed, along with Ghost Train (doesn't open until 12 pm).

It's not exclusive to Alton Towers.
Colossus opened earlier than 11 because I used my hotel fastrack on it and that expires at eleven.

The problem is motivation and pay like for example I get paid a good wage with overtime rate. Ride hosts must get a minimum wage so if they load a train and send it in 1 or 3 minutes they still get the same rate of money.

Colossus opened earlier than 11 because I used my hotel fastrack on it and that expires at eleven.
Well yes, I was tapping that out from the Colossus queue, but it was a rough estimation. It didn't open on time, an hour later it was open. I was out by a few minutes. The person I responded to was giving a status update of Alton Towers at 11am, I did the same to Thorpe to demonstrate that opening problems are effecting multiple parks.