• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/park accidents in 2012

Very sad news to hear :(
Though I would like to know how they knew she was going into cardiac arrest while the ride was still in operation. I certainly wouldn't be able to keep my eye on one person on maelstrom long enough to know they were.

I find the reporting of this incident (not the posting of it here) to be distasteful and misleading. Even in the extreme circumstance that the ride caused her to die, it is stated that you should not ride with certain conditions.

It's possible she didn't know about any such condition (if one existed), in which case it's an even sadder story. However there is too much emphasis on the ride's typical scary exaggerated description, it strongly hints that the ride's extremity is the cause of her death. It's appalling journalism and is damaging to the park for no reason.

I have to question why enthusiast news sites feel the need to report it as well.

There was a interview with the person who was in the Fairground Accident at abbey park in the Leicester Mercury today, just thought i'd share it with you all.

A teenager says he feared he would die as he was flung into the air by a malfunctioning fairground ride.

Danny Keogh suffered serious injuries when a carriage on the Mega Bounce Frog ride, at Billy Bates Fairground, in Abbey Park, Leicester, went out of control.

Danny Keogh spent four days in intensive care after being thrown about on a fairground ride.

Recalling his ordeal, the 16-year-old, who spent four days in intensive care, said he would never go on a fairground ride again.

"We started to pick up speed, then the next thing I can remember I could feel my face being smashed against the bars of the fence around the ride," said Danny, of Winslow Drive, Wigston.

"It felt like I was in some kind of dream, but then it all got real. I felt a terrible pain in my side and I thought I might die.

"I tried to remain as calm as possible because I thought to myself 'there's no way I'm going to die on a fairground ride'. It sounds silly, but that thought drove me to try to stay alive."

Danny had emergency surgery and spent the next four days in intensive care at Glenfield Hospital.

Surgeons used 88 staples to close a gaping wound in the left side of his torso and along the underside of his left arm.

He had a dozen stitches in wounds under his chin and on his tongue.

"When I was at the hospital I remember a nurse saying the wound was a lot deeper than they thought because they could see my lung," said Danny.

But five days after surgery, the teenager amazed doctors, nurses and his parents by getting out of bed to go for a walk.

He made such a good recovery that he was allowed home on Sunday – just eight days after the accident, on July 28.

Danny said he had gone to the fair with friends to celebrate finishing their GCSEs at St Paul's Catholic School, in Spencefield Lane, Evington.

He was on the ride with pal Conor Baker, 16, who suffered three broken teeth and a broken nose in the accident.

Danny said: "We all went along and thought it would be a fun way to celebrate.

"One minute all was good, then it was nightmare.

"I'm never going to go on another fair ride as long as I live. I know I am lucky to be alive so I am not going to push it."

Danny's mother Liz, 48, said she was overjoyed when her son got out of his hospital bed.

"He's my walking miracle," she said. "One minute he was in and out of consciousness and the next he was up and walking about.

"Everyone was amazed. I cried with joy."

Danny's father David, 50, said: "It's great to have him home.

"I think because he is so sporty and so fit he was able to fight for his life and win.

"We're all so happy to see him recovering so quickly."

The accident is being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive.

A spokeswoman said: "Our investigation is ongoing. We cannot comment further."

The Keoghs said they were considering legal action.

The Mercury asked fairground director Kennedy Bates for a comment but none was forthcoming by the time the paper went to print.

However, shortly after the accident, Mr Bates said: "We are devastated.

"In 40 years of being in Leicester, nothing like this has happened. Our biggest concern is with the lads and we wish them the best recovery."

He said Billy Bates had subcontracted the ride and Abbey Park was the first time it had been used.

The HSE is likely to take legal action even if the family don't, so I look forward to justice being done.

Clacton pier coaster crash, 7 injured none serious.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/essex_parame ... 1_1480346#

eoo21t2d64002dq0mtp7s9.jpg

Live from Oakwood...

Fobia came into the station, cue loud bangs as the train ripped a load of metal skirting up off the station.

The ride is now closed...!

:p

Just because I was intrigued about that article on Nicco Park... I did some Google work and found this image... pretty serious for such a huge part of the slide to break away:
8109-300x207.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

BigDave said:
Stratosphere type ride once again leaves 24 riders up in the air

That sounds like my kind of nightmare! (Obviously being an enthusiast I know these things are perfectly safe ;) )

Zierer have released information showing that the "steal chain shackles" can snap for "unknown" reasons on their wave swingers. Zierer are recommending more frequent checks of the chains and retro-fitting safety cables onto all existing wave swingers so should the chain fail, it has a backup.

As much fun as swinging backwards on them might be, I think I will be a good boy from now on :S

(Would like to point out that this accident does not mean that the ride types are unsafe before anyone gets worried)

BigDave said:
(Would like to point out that this accident does not mean that the ride types are unsafe before anyone gets worried)

(Would like to point out that until the remedial action is taken it does mean that the ride type is quite unsafe really!!!!)

----

Bits fall of enterprise, but it stays open as
no riders were ever in danger because the structure of the ride is safe
so that's alright then!

http://www.9wsyr.com/content/news/fair/ ... Lw.cspx?hp