• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rita

Nick said:
The problem is there's no air-time. I don't give a damn about the layout as long as there's at least some nice floater- at the very least- but it's as forceless as Thirteen. Although the dive to the right after the first hill is a slight redeeming factor, there really is very little force and the transitions are relatively slow- at least compared to other Intamins- which means there's no moment when you feel like you're leaving the seat. I don't even care about the length, it's just the lack of force.

I disagree. Rita definitely has force and at least 1 or 2 moments of airtime.

I think your all wrong. Ok its not amazing and it doesnt have air time blah blah blah blah does it really matter. Its a nice little floor filler, it was never an SW, but it has a charm. I think its that charm that wins it over for me. I agree and disagree with the themeing since thirteen arrived. Its looks alot better without the lepard print and cheesy ug land themeing (which i never liked). although i do miss the Thunder Rock rally. I do love rita. At my last stay it was the first ride of the day, suffering a little hangover from the night before, before i got on. It was all gone after i left so i adore her for that.

What i will say is as a ride it is tame, but tame is good sometimes. Air, Nemmy, Oblivion and the smiler are all well and good but you need rides like Rita Thirteen and dare i say it Sonic just to mix it up abit.

Best launch coaster I have been on is Velocity and Flamingo Land.

Everyone knows the best hangover cure on Earth is front row of Nemesis. An Intamin would just make things worse.

I think I have the same feelings as a lot of people here:

-The theming of Rita is very bare and at time inconsistent because of the area rethemes.
-Yes, Rita is thrilling, but it's not magical, it's simply LAUNCH, whizz, hill, back to the station. I'm not sure what else would improve this, but to me it's very plain.
-Effects used on Rita can be a tad hit and miss, the smoke and lights sometimes are out of synch or simply not working, which does let the side down.
-I wouldn't queue a long time for Rita, it's too short and the kind of ERT ride you get out of the way at the start of your day so you don't have to queue for ages later.
-Stealth is bigger, better and creates more poo in my underwear
-That tunnel looks vile.

Yup.

Is there a story behind Rita's name? I remember when it opened I was at the height of my Alton Towers fandom, but the name was really disappointing (and made me feel a little less proud when telling my friends about it!)

(Not sure what the practice is regarding oldish threads, but I thought it'd be better to post in here than make a new one.)

There's been discussions about this before, and Alton Towers Intamin Rocket is nothing more than a coincidence which was not intended. Much like Air standing for Arial Inversion Roller coaster/ride.

So the reason behind the name isn't known for sure?

Isn't it obvious? Rita was obviously a woman someone from Tussuads knew, she was an utter bitch so they thought hey lets name our new ride that because she's going where she thinks she can and thrives on ruining the pleasant atmosphere.

I'm less concerned about the reasoning of the name and more concerned why they thought it was a good idea plonking that in the middle of a brilliant area in the first place...

What is rita's theme/storyline? I think I get it, but it is so weak that I really have no idea.

Stealth is better, no question.

There isn't one, no matter how hard marketing have attempted to communicate otherwise.

From what I've seen (and I've only been on Rita once) it WAS racing, which was a bad theme considering it was in ug land, then it was changed slightly to racing taken over by a magical Forrest. At what point does that make sense?

For me it's Stealth every time, the lights on both rides have worked 99.9% of the time. Have the harness design changed because some of them (the orange part can't remember what color they are on Stealth) press on my tummy now but others are pressing on my legs which has been the case since my first go on both?

I like Rita the least out of the big coasters but I do like it. It's a solid ride, no more, no less.

Good way to start your day and build up to the bigger rides if your feelig a bit rusty IMO

It is the ride that if I don't get done, I don't care. I haven't done it in over a year, but I might go it in a few days if the queues stay like they are (and its not broken down - very likely).

I don't know if it's the bad non-existent theming, the roughness (to be fair, it was the first time I'd been on a launch coaster so wasn't really ready), or the fact that it just isn't that good, but I would probably rate 13 over it easily, and maybe put it under sonic to.

Well done Alton towers for not finishing a retheme.

Rita is definitely the weakest coaster at Towers and feels like a shoe horned addition that was done last minute (though it was built during the epitome days of DIC (then owners of Tussauds)) and lacks thematic experience of any other major coaster there.

Stealth is a much better ride hands down and Rita is probably my 2nd least favourite ride in the park (the 1st being Charlie).

Stealth is faster, higher and a smoother ride than Rita. Even though they are (or were) the same theme, stealth's is shown better and has theming. The name stealth is better than Rita. Stealth seems to load faster.

I don't know what makes Rita better... No, there's nothing.

Thanks for the comments about the name - it was a baffling decision.

I've never particularly enjoyed Rita but I think that's due to the style of rollercoaster rather than Rita itself. I don't really enjoy the sudden launch. It's interesting that Grand_Nash said it's a good one to start with, as for me it's probably the most intense after Oblivion (haven't been on The Smiler). I'm more naturally inclined to enjoy Nemesis' slower build up.

Also I was told to remove my glasses by a ride operator which spoiled it as I couldn't see what was going on and was worried about finding my way to my glasses after it ended! I can see the reasoning behind it but I've never had a problem wearing my glasses on Oblivion, which you would think is a bigger risk. My head was also shaken about quite a bit on Rita, which I was less willing to forgive on a 2005 coaster than on Corkscrew.