• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2013: Discussion

I agree, the yellow is too much. I like The Smiler's identity, with the black, yellow and white together, so maybe if it had a black base, with hints of white and yellow in, then it might look better, but just yellow? Nahh. It'll hurt your eyes by the end of the day, as well as your head and feet due to walking aimlessly across the park, trying to find everything.

Sent from my new fangled telecommunications device, so I apologise for any silly errors

I like the Smileresque addition but your putting visually a very imposing style on a map this is already hard to use.

This map would have been better as a main season map to promote the Smiler, it seems a strange design for Scarefest, as the Smiler and its colour sticks out more than any of the scarefest events/mazes. Good luck trying to even get into X-sector by following that map!

Its as if Towers have gone to the map company, and said "the map is still not confusing enough, please make it more confusing" "ok we will add yellow swirls everywhere!"

I notice the names for Berry Bish Bash, Dung Heap and Riverbank eye spy have vanished, yet the rides are still there!

Alton towers guide has posted some images:

BWeSbiQIAAAzMEK.jpg

BWc2DK1IcAA-rE2.jpg

BWd3CJdIAAE0-TL.jpg

In regards to the map...

I think people are trusted with some common sense, They can see there is a path from A to B. It doesn't need to be 100% Great Britain Map with every tiny detail. People will walk down the path they see and go "Oh theres *Insert Area here*"

It's a map for a theme park not a map for the route from Lands End to Aberystwyth

KingNemesis said:
It's a map for a theme park not a map for the route from Lands End to Aberystwyth

Well, no, but Alton is quite a large, unusually designed park. And the map offers absolutely no sense of perspective or any real direction, and actually undersells a lot of stuff people could utilise or spend at. But we've been through this argument a hundred times before on here...

This is not a map in any way, shape or form. It has more in common with the work of Salvador Dalí than a cartographer. Useless.

KingNemesis said:
In regards to the map...

I think people are trusted with some common sense, They can see there is a path from A to B. It doesn't need to be 100% Great Britain Map with every tiny detail. People will walk down the path they see and go "Oh theres *Insert Area here*"

If you look at the map there is no path from a to b. People will be in old macdonalds farm trying to get to the smiler. It's too much crammed into one space and while I agree it does not need to be detailed it does need some navigation or it's just a picture Alton towers are proud of and want to hand out.

I do not think anyone expects a detailed map showing every single exact path there is. However it must function as a basic map showing the basic paths around the park. It helps guests know where they are and where they've got to go to X ride/attraction.

In my opinion, the 2008-2010 map shows how it should be done.

alton-towers_gallery.jpg

It looks busy, fun, exciting, it's visually interesting and it functions as a useful map for navigating yourself around the place.

The map from 2011 onwards just looks like someone on steroids started splattering paint on a canvas.

Scarefest Construction 13 October 2013. Sorry for the poorer than usual quality of photos. The weather was atrocious.

Firstly, HQ seems to have been halloweened.
P1090632.JPG

There are a host of new flags flying over the entrance, all scarefesty in their splendour.
P1090628.JPG

Once in the park, each of the grassy areas has had wooden posts erected.
P1090623.JPG

On the ground in a number of places is SC. Obviously some Stoke fan hooligans have been in the park. I think that this area is going to get set up in the next day or so.
P1090624.JPG

Odly some of the lights on Towers Street have had all except one of their bally things removed.
P1090613.JPG

One of the froggies seems to be vomiting blood. There has been a red light placed under him that lights up the water as it jets out of his mouth. By the end of the day, as dusk descended it started looking quite cool.
P1090619.JPG

Carnival entrance now set up and looking as disturbing as usual. I do love this entrance.
P1090180.JPG

The fencing around it state this.
P1090181.JPG

Sneaking a naughty peak over the fence you see
P1090178.JPG

The back side of the frontage looks like
P1090179.JPG

The golfing side of the maze now looks like this.
P1090174.JPG

The other side, behind the plate smash is much more interesting though. An old banner is being used as the roof.I wonder if this ties into the story or is simply a blue peter special.
P1090175.JPG

Looking through that gateway (which was open) you can see. Hmm where did that shipping container come from. Well it wouldn't be Merlin without one.
P1090176.JPG

What's going on in Zombie? I hear you ask
P1090160.JPG

and if you look towards the right you see
P1090162.JPG

The other end has quite an interesting grey tent built.
P1090171.JPG

which, oddly, seemed quite long.
P1090173.JPG

and to the right of the gate, Christmas is still here and in the distance you can see, so is the bus.
P1090168.JPG

Elsewhere - Fountain square now has this fine erection.
P1090164.JPG

TOTT & Sanctuary now has lighting
P1090166.JPG

Nemesis's bus seems to have re-developed wind.
P1090275.JPG

Sub Terra now has lighting in the queue line
P1090269.JPG

Log flumes lights have been fixed and are now on.
P1090361.JPG

OOOO we have coloured lighting
P1090378.JPG

And the path to the car park has also gained lights.
P1090631.JPG

Finally, the hated ones are congregating in the overflow bus park, plotting their destruction of all mood though-out the park.
P1090634.JPG

Is it me or is Scarefest looking 'good' again?

It seems as though there's some significant changes to Carnival and Zombies this year. Very much looking forward to this years event!

:)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

stretchy said:
GaryH said:
Any sign of the green lighting and writing on the walls along by Hex?
I couldn't see any, which is a shame as it was my favourite bit if theming.
It looks unbelievably good walking through that area with those lights

They felt it detracted from The Sanctuary too much...

Was awesome lighting too...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2