• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2014

Exactly. I recall a Q&A we had at Scarefest last year with Pete Cliff, and I think he said he'd love a bigger budget for Scarefest, but he has to work with what he's given. Last year was my first Scarefest, and overall, I thought it was OK, but could have been better in some areas. Namely the fact that ToTT was a pile of excrement on the run-through I had.

It always come down to budgets sadly. There is just no competition for Merlin, so there is no reason for them to spend more. I guess half the problem is Merlin know that they could double the budget for the event, but it would not double the profit.

I guess the logistics of closing the park, getting everyone out, prevents them from having a separate charge to run the Scarefest event. I am sure most people would be happy to pay £25 to get access to the park and all the mazes from 6pm til 10pm if it meant they got refreshed and improved year on year.

I would expect there to be a lot more family focus this year, hopefully the budget to turn all the CBeebies shows in to Halloween themed ones is ring fenced from the Scarefest budget, otherwise it is going to have to stretch even further.

My biggest problem with the event, is not the fact that the mazes are staying the same, but once you leave Towers Street, you could be forgiven for thinking it was just the park staying opening late in other areas of the park as there is no attempt to make it feel like a Halloween event.

I am still going to stay optimistic for the event, and I am sure it will be a lot of fun :)

Ian

Anyone know when or if them freedom scare maze tickets go on sale

This year I really hope we see the 4th generation ToTT as the "what lies within" theme has gone on far too long now. Pete Cliff did say it was one of the priorities for Scarefest but who knows what will happen.

Ideally, I'd love to see the route/direction reversed back to the way it used to be. Not only would that be a refreshing change but with The Sanctuary sharing the same queue space it's become too crowded round there now. Plus, I always thought the queue for ToTT through the wooded area and then the tunnel was far more appropriate.

Also means they can bring back queueline audio for both mazes.

The old queue for TotT through the woods and the tunnel was horrible, really cramped and had no atmosphere (too close to x-sector). Her lady ships garden is more atmospheric though having two mazes queue in there does make it feel more cramped.

It'd be amazing if the queue could be in the Towers. It'd be very atmospheric but I'm sure the logistics of it would be an absolute nightmare.

An indoor queue? They have the space for it, and it would be amazing. Won't happen though.

Just seen this on Towers Times. (Sorry. :p)

This Halloween, Alton Towers Resort is ready to introduce an all new overnight scare experience ‘The Ultimate Sleepover’ for Scarefest 2014.

Set within the historic haunted Towers ruins, guests will stay overnight in dormitory style accommodation specially set up for the experience, with the scares lasting until 3am. The facilities provided will be very basic, with the resort recommending guests only bring a small bag. With a capacity of 50 guests per night, those who are brave enough will stay in shared accommodation in one of the spookiest areas of the ruins. Plus, if that wasn’t scary enough, live actors will also ensure that your stay within the Towers ruins is a truly terrifying one to remember.

Costing £280 per person, along with the overnight stay within the Towers, the package includes:

• Buffet dinner
  • Hot breakfast
  • 2 days park entry (with the option to swap one day on park for waterpark tickets)
  • Maze tickets
  • Parking in a dedicated area.
The new overnight experience will replace the award winning Scarerooms, which have been a feature of the resort’s Halloween festivities since 2007 and this year won a SCAREcon SCAR award for ‘Best Overnight Experience’

Exact details of the storyline for the new experience is being kept a closely guarded secret.

Hmm, its an interesting idea, and it does sound quite good to stay in the towers rather than just a hotel room. However I do wonder where on earth in the towers you will stay with it being Scarefest, as I imagine TOTT and Sanctuary will take up their usual areas, which only really leaves some of the top floors (where the actors normally have their breaks and get changed) and the chapel area, none of which could really sleep 50 people.

And £280 per person for one night! Now with 50 people a night, towers will be making £14,000! I can certainly see why they have moved it from the hotels with profits like that!

I really can't see how this is going to work unless they use upstairs rooms with the mazes happening

But £280 per person is really expensive I wanted to do scarerooms this year in the hotels but that's money I would proffer to spend on europa instead off one night in towers

I would think its going to be brilliant though

There is always the possibility that the scare rooms could be incorporated into an area of the mazes (e.g. the wards of the Sanctuary) but I doubt it would happen.

It is an interesting idea though and I'm sure many people would be interested, even with the high price. My only concern is that it might be a little chilly given that it's October.

Just having a few ideas about how they are going to use toilets and showers also there's electric to charge your phones to think about
Also wondering if they will separate the 50 people into smaller groups in different rooms to maximise the scares

I would like to see how they do the whole and to see how the story line unfolds

Also had the same idea as you Andrew about how cold it could be in the ruins they aren't the warms place going

I have done the scare rooms twice and loved it but I would be put off this by the idea of 'dormitory' style accommodation, making me think you'd be sharing a room with strangers, and the lack of facilities. Maybe that's why they are adding the choice if water park tickets - chance to have a shower in the morning!

After doing the scarerooms last year I am a little disappointed by this. One your paying more for limited facilities and sleeping among century old dust and bird muck and lets be honest, probably less comfy beds and last time I checked the towers didn't have heating so its going to be cold. Its essentially youth hostel standards for hotel prices

Can't help but think that some of the price will be to provide amenities that aren't currently available in the Towers (like toilets and heating and so on)

If thats the case then leave it in the perfectly good hotels and keep the cost down!

Also as this is happening it would be nice to be in the mazes at night and base the story off Tott. Stop the night and locate the missing urban explorers etc and make it a more interactive event

Last edited:
I think the issue with hotels is down to location - the new Moon Voyage rooms are very close to where scarerooms were and they wouldn't want to run the risk of keeping up families in the new rooms with lots of noise from the scarerooms.

Plus, whatever they're doing in the towers ax be tailor made to fit them. No working around the hotel layout and room layout - starting essentially from scratch and allowing them to scare in whatever way they please.

I wonder where the dorms will be... "The spookiest areas of the ruins"? No doubt some people will be in for a cold night. I imagine it would be very difficult to install adequate heating in an old stone building with no windows and huge rooms without doors. Even so, I'm very tempted to do this to be honest.

I can see why this is happening, the profit margins alone would have got the seal of approval before any logistics came into the equation.

Although these are not appealing for me, spending a night in a room with other strangers who could be a nightmare to be with? No thanks.

I'm interested in how this develops though.

Just wondering if they will have time out of the ruins maybe in the gardens within the storyline