• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2022

Strapped to a chair behind the Games Bunker with a Yullbe VR headset on given the fact the hardware is already on resort.
I will literally cry if it turns out to be a VR thing.
The guy in the promo is wearing headphones though, so it's more likely to be an audio experience using those.
Although the combi ticket states "4 mazes", so it could be anything.

Edit:

Almost certainly an audio scare experience.

Last edited:
I will literally cry if it turns out to be a VR thing.
The guy in the promo is wearing headphones, so it's more likely to be an audio experience using those.
Although the combi ticket states "4 mazes", so it could be anything.

Edit:

Almost certainly an audio scare

Well I think that settles it. I won’t be booking this one either 😂what an incredibly lacklustre line up for 15 years

Well... I don't know what to say.

I was really, really hoping it wouldn't be an audio experience. I absolutely credit the talent and technology that goes into these experiences. However, I as hoping for 4 MAZES... Where you can look at set pieces and get chased by actors. Something thrilling and exciting. But I have a fear of death, so I'm not sure how I feel about lying in a morgue with headphones...

I'm keeping everything crossed that this is an additional experience to the 4 mazes.

Sent from my SM-A516B using Tapatalk

Well then...

I'll probably still give it a go, but I was looking more for a thrilling experience than a psychological one. Is it definitely an audio experience?

Ironically, Duel would be an appropriate setting for a graveyard experience. Not going to be there though of course, but you never know.

As expected then it’s an audio experience. Extremely cheap and last minute. I’ve done an attraction by Darkfield before, in a blacked out shipping container. Was good for a low budget scare attraction but not for scarefest for god sake. So disappointing for the 15th year :(

Assuming this is a Darkfield attraction - great news in my opinion. Having done most of their stuff, they're genuinely really scary in a more psychological/existential way to what you'd usually get in the maze. I remember being very skeptical before doing Coma, but left literally shaking - it takes a lot to scare me, and it genuinely deeply unsettled me. I'm not sure if they still do them, but there's a few shows you can do at home if you're curious beforehand.

The issue I have, however, is that it appears to be in place of a fourth maze. As a supplement to the mazes, an audio based experience would be excellent. But with this being the first Scarefest since 2014 that there hasn't been at least one new maze, I can't help but feel it won't scratch that itch. Darkfield's stuff is - whilst terrifying in it's own right - a very different experience to a maze. Experimenting with form is always welcome, but something so radically different without something to whet the appetites of something more traditional - can't help but feel that it'll dissappoint the masses, because there won't as much communication that this isn't a maze. It feels like it should be ticketed on it's own, aside from the mazes - that way it'd cater much more to a specific audience type, and that audience would at the very least know it's not a standard spooky affair.

Never thought I'd say this, especially given the fact I've never really been impressed by the event, but I'm actually looking forward to Fright Nights more than Scarefest this time round (although that could be because I haven't been to Thorpe since 2019). Whilst they too have an audio experience, that's in addition to an all-new maze - which is how Towers should have done it.

I’m thinking sub terra building. Make shift graveyard in there and then sit in the drop tower seat. On with VR headset where the experience continues before you fall into the ground in the coffin….. that’s my thoughts anyway. Doesn’t really grab me much though, and disappointed nothing much for families this year.

I’m thinking sub terra building. Make shift graveyard in there and then sit in the drop tower seat. On with VR headset where the experience continues before you fall into the ground in the coffin….. that’s my thoughts anyway. Doesn’t really grab me much though, and disappointed nothing much for families this year.
Yeah it's a shame that Trick 'O'Treat Town isn't coming back this year.

Sources are saying it’s the Toxic Junkyard site, sources who attended some sort of private event where the ents team confirmed it.

Assuming this is a Darkfield attraction - great news in my opinion. Having done most of their stuff, they're genuinely really scary in a more psychological/existential way to what you'd usually get in the maze. I remember being very skeptical before doing Coma, but left literally shaking - it takes a lot to scare me, and it genuinely deeply unsettled me. I'm not sure if they still do them, but there's a few shows you can do at home if you're curious beforehand.

The issue I have, however, is that it appears to be in place of a fourth maze. As a supplement to the mazes, an audio based experience would be excellent. But with this being the first Scarefest since 2014 that there hasn't been at least one new maze, I can't help but feel it won't scratch that itch. Darkfield's stuff is - whilst terrifying in it's own right - a very different experience to a maze. Experimenting with form is always welcome, but something so radically different without something to whet the appetites of something more traditional - can't help but feel that it'll dissappoint the masses, because there won't as much communication that this isn't a maze. It feels like it should be ticketed on it's own, aside from the mazes - that way it'd cater much more to a specific audience type, and that audience would at the very least know it's not a standard spooky affair.

Never thought I'd say this, especially given the fact I've never really been impressed by the event, but I'm actually looking forward to Fright Nights more than Scarefest this time round (although that could be because I haven't been to Thorpe since 2019). Whilst they too have an audio experience, that's in addition to an all-new maze - which is how Towers should have done it.
This is the best post i’ve seen on this thread about this attraction.

It’s great that Alton are trying something different and experimenting but having this as a replacement for a maze, while keeping 3 pretty stale mazes in the lineup is so so disappointing. I really feel like Merlin aren’t bothered about Scarefest anymore. Since 2015 it’s gone rapidly downhill, don’t understand how they’ve never tried to replicate that year.

Can only hope this is a hybrid style thing, part audio part maze/theatrical experience. But I don’t hold much hope

This is the best post i’ve seen on this thread about this attraction.

It’s great that Alton are trying something different and experimenting but having this as a replacement for a maze, while keeping 3 pretty stale mazes in the lineup is so so disappointing. I really feel like Merlin aren’t bothered about Scarefest anymore. Since 2015 it’s gone rapidly downhill, don’t understand how they’ve never tried to replicate that year.

Can only hope this is a hybrid style thing, part audio part maze/theatrical experience. But I don’t hold much hope
It possibly sounds like a hybrid, it could be interesting if it is. I wouldn’t want to be just sitting there listening through headphones or whatever

It possibly sounds like a hybrid, it could be interesting if it is. I wouldn’t want to be just sitting there listening through headphones or whatever
I agree. They haven't explicitly marketed this as an audio experience, unlike Thorpe. It wouldn't feel very natural if you just go into the crypt, listen, then come out again. I'm hoping there's some scare maze element to flesh out the experience.