• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2022

The announcement of all 3 have been overwhelmingly negatively received across all of their socials. I'm not surprised. I know we shouldn't expect a refresh every year, but for 15 years of Scarefest, and when the returning three have been present since 2016 and 2019 respectively, I can genuinely see maze tickets being at an all time low.

The announcement of all 3 have been overwhelmingly negatively received across all of their socials. I'm not surprised. I know we shouldn't expect a refresh every year, but for 15 years of Scarefest, and when the returning three have been present since 2016 and 2019 respectively, I can genuinely see maze tickets being at an all time low.
Yeah I think a lot of people were expecting 4 brand new mazes for the anniversary, or at least one "resurrected" maze from a previous year.

Yeah I think a lot of people were expecting 4 brand new mazes for the anniversary, or at least one "resurrected" maze from a previous year.
I think 4 brand new would've been a stretch, but a 3 maze re-hash when they've all been here for a minimum of 4 seasons now is a little bit much I think. It would've probably been acceptable for The Attic and Darkest Depths to come back, but AMT should've been phased out, and then the two aforementioned should've been phased out over the next two seasons. A 2015 style line up would've been fine, where 2/3 of the mazes were new.

I've not done Scarefest since 2019 and so far we have 3 mazes that I have already done, albeit one is in a new location. The event is starting to feel very tired.

If you look on the website, it says at the end of the descriptions (Recommended for those 15+). To me, this could possibly mean that some mazes will have different age ratings. After all, wouldn't it be redundant to put those brackets there if all the mazes have the same age rating?

Will they rate Darkest Depths slightly lower? Or, the more exciting option, the new maze is even more extreme and aimed for an older audience.

Sent from my SM-A516B using Tapatalk
My theory was correct :D Hopefully, we'll be in for something even more intense to be announced!
63cbd63b41840ffc4d140f9d728d0c40.jpg

Sent from my SM-A516B using Tapatalk

I wasn’t expecting returning favourites to be re-hashes of existing attractions like The Sanctuary or Carnival for example because of a few reasons like cost and much of the props from those mazes were recycled into newer attractions.

Bringing old attractions back will always be difficult, there’s a certain level of expectation amongst the public and enthusiasts when you bring back these attractions for them to be the same or better than their previous incarnation and that’s probably a super challenging thing to do.

Thorpe did it in the best way in my opinion with Trailers.

But they do find themselves in another mess again for the next few years. Ideally my perspective is a maze should run for 4 seasons max before being replaced. With that structure you’d have a new maze every year. As soon as you miss a year, like in 2021, you run into the difficulty where you need to open 2 new mazes to catch up to avoid one of the mazes becoming stale. Next year, The Attic and Darkest Depths will be in their 5th year, and Mine Tours its 8th. All 3 really need to go, but whether they have the budget to do so will play a huge part.

It’s a shame we don’t see scene or route improvements like we used to as well, Carnival had substantial story, route and scene updates in 2013 which helped keep it fresh; ToTT did in 2015 which helped to a certain extent.

If they worked to a consistent timeframe for maze replacement they’d avoid being in this kind of situation where the entire event needs a refresh.

Surprised Toxic Junkyard has gone to be fair, thought Mine Tours would but yet it stays for another season. This new maze better be something otherwise Scarefest might not go down as well as it normally does.

Surprised Toxic Junkyard has gone to be fair, thought Mine Tours would but yet it stays for another season. This new maze better be something otherwise Scarefest might not go down as well as it normally does.
Reading the comments on the social posts, a surprising amount of people are disappointed that Freak Show isn't retuning.

£32 for the mazes o_O

That's gone up fair bit hasn't it?

For me the best thing about Scarefest is the setting. The autumn chill in the air and rides in the dark. So I'll be giving the mazes a swerve this year.

Think it was £30 last year.

For comparison Tulley's Shocktober is £40-60 for a pass to all mazes (but they have a lot!) or £6 per maze, £8 with Fast track. So AT charging £8 per maze is similar.

Think it was £30 last year.

For comparison Tulley's Shocktober is £40-60 for a pass to all mazes (but they have a lot!) or £6 per maze, £8 with Fast track. So AT charging £8 per maze is similar.
Yeah but its a lot when you're already paying for park entry. And I'm not sure the quality is there to justify £30.

£20 is the most I'd pay with the current lineup.

Like others, I agree it's a shame there aren't two new mazes but sure we knew that a few weeks ago, it's probably a budget thing, and they'll know / should know the data on this sort of thing (RoI in several different scenarios).

I'm just glad that TJ got the chop, and not AVMT. Even if you've done the Mines several times before, it's considerably better than TJ.

I have to say though - one element that I think is poor is - that the groups they're dispatching are too big for some of the mazes. And noticeably so in 2021. On AVMT, I remember being outside of the room when the second part of the monologue was delivered by the first actor so I couldn't hear most of it which is poor - I wish they'd cap groups at 10. Of course, that affects throughput and queue times, but I've paid a lot of money for the mazes and so I want a good run through on each one, even if it means waiting an extra 15 mins. AVMT and The Attic suffer from that more. (Also, I wish they'd separate certain groups and just send them through by themselves - you can tell if a group are going to be tits - they just ruin it for the rest).

Hopefully the new maze will be something special - looking forward to the announcement!

(Please be a medley of mazes from over the years!)

I really hope that Towers have got something up their sleeve for Scarefest, given that it's looking like their two major dark rides will be closed for the whole thing.