• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SeaWorld Orlando: General Discussion

@MakoMania I think you are underplaying Blackfish and the associated controversy in yout assessment.

The film was more an attack on the company than the industry and its practices.

@MakoMania I think you are underplaying Blackfish and the associated controversy in yout assessment.

The film was more an attack on the company than the industry and its practices.
Perhaps I did underplay it a bit. You are correct, it was an attack on SeaWorld but within the accredited zoological community is is widely seen as an attack on all of us.

Just to clarify, I do believe that Blackfish has unfortunately had a significant impact, however this has certainly been more pronounced in San Diego than anywhere else.

It's so frustrating to see a movie gain so much traction when you know that its contents are misleading at best.

Reduction in VR availability? Are they doing it as certain rows only in 2018? If they are, then I will be picking a non-VR row!
Yeah I believe there will only be three
Reduction in VR availability? Are they doing it as certain rows only in 2018? If they are, then I will be picking a non-VR row!
Yes and I will join you! It’s a good coaster, but the VR headsets are cumbersome and detract from the flying sensation, which of course was the original draw of air.

Moving along slowly but surely, most ride components are now on site, ride trough is mostly complete.
Is this projected to open in June, like Mako and Kraken Unleashed did, or will it open earlier?

I'm surprised how little advertising there has been. The ride will be great, why not make a fuss about it?

I'm surprised how little advertising there has been. The ride will be great, why not make a fuss about it?
We still have Seven Seas & the start of Electric Ocean happening before Infinity Falls is open :)

Marketing will increase as we approach the summer months.

I'm going to go off topic but I wanted to talk about this.

I'm visiting Iceland this weekend because we wanted to see Orcas in their natural habitat since visiting Sea World 2 years ago. I was expecting to spend days searching for Orcas but we've been very lucky to have two very active outings. Not only have we encountered several large pods (between 15 to 20 Orcas per pod) but on 2 occasions they were closer to the boat than you'd even be able to achieve visiting them in captivity.

As Icelands only a short flight from the UK I'd highly recommend making the trip if you want to see Orcas in the wild.

I'm going to go off topic but I wanted to talk about this.

I'm visiting Iceland this weekend because we wanted to see Orcas in their natural habitat since visiting Sea World 2 years ago. I was expecting to spend days searching for Orcas but we've been very lucky to have two very active outings. Not only have we encountered several large pods (between 15 to 20 Orcas per pod) but on 2 occasions they were closer to the boat than you'd even be able to achieve visiting them in captivity.

As Icelands only a short flight from the UK I'd highly recommend making the trip if you want to see Orcas in the wild.

Whale watching is fantastic, as long as it's done responsibly. Noise pollution from whale watching is contributing to a real spike in the death rate of calves and some boats have the potential to add some pretty nasty pollutants into the water. The fact that you said that you got extremely close to the whales suggests that your tour operator was not responsible and didn't consider the welfare of the animals. This level of proximity in the wild would be in breach of the marine mammal protection act.

I'll write about it some more when I'm back in the UK (in a different topic as this isn't really Sea World related). But In general I agree that over exposure becomes a problem if standards drop to make a quick buck. However the set-up here was very conservation friendly. The area was a fishing harbour but we never saw more than 5 boats out at a time, only one was for Whale Watching. As the local community aren't solely reliant on fishing anymore there were less fishing ships than you would have once seen.

Like I said before this isn't really related to Sea World because it's a completely different way of seeing Orcas. Sea World is popular because it's in a conveneint location for tourists.

Infinity Falls update:

More of the trough has been completed and the station is well and truly vertical. Lots of parts have arrived on site for the two conventional lift hills and the tower also. Themed rockwork has also started to be installed this week.

Infinity Falls picture update thanks to Bioreconstruct on Twitter!

DZtxFqWW0AEteIS.jpg:large

Follow the yellow arrow to some nice #rockwork.
DZtxNZxXcAEZTdw.jpg:large

There is still much to be done, however progress is rapid now. This really is going to be the perfect addition to SeaWorld Orlando!