• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SeaWorld Orlando: General Discussion

B&M are as good as they've ever been. They are a company that stick with what they are good at and don't feel a need to change what works.

The difference was that in the 90s all rides were trying to be intense thrill machines, B&M were the best at providing them. Now the market has changed and the competition have started producing compact, unconventional and more dynamic rides that are not B&Ms style. It's hard to compare a B&M ride with an RMC, Eurofighter or something from Intamin or Mack because they are so diverse.

Increasingly hearing talk from various people and on forums that this may be the first installation of B&M's new surf coaster.

that would make sense to be fair, it’s about time they released the concept

I was rather hoping AT would be the first, never mind.

What exactly was B&M's surf coaster concept again?

Not sure anyone knows what the surf coaster concept is. I have read some rumours recently that B&M have been working on an updated wing coaster with the seats able to spin 360 degrees. Using tech like the S&S freespin does, rather than the old arrow/SS 4D concept. Something I know has been long rumoured in the past but maybe this concept is that.

Reactions: Rob
The B&M surf coaster has been around for years....

latest

Not sure anyone knows what the surf coaster concept is. I have read some rumours recently that B&M have been working on an updated wing coaster with the seats able to spin 360 degrees. Using tech like the S&S freespin does, rather than the old arrow/SS 4D concept. Something I know has been long rumoured in the past but maybe this concept is that.

B&M have always been about total control of the rider to deliver consistency. I'd be astounded if they came away from that and built anything free spinning.

I'm loving the ambition of all the SeaWorld parks at the moment, you have to imagine that this might be leading up to a sale of sorts!? Either that or it is going to slow down in the near future.

Either way, I am not complaining.

I'm loving the ambition of all the SeaWorld parks at the moment, you have to imagine that this might be leading up to a sale of sorts!? Either that or it is going to slow down in the near future.

Either way, I am not complaining.

I think somewhat SeaWorld are just trying to rebrand as a coaster park with a few fish, rather than being the home of captive killer whales.

As @jon81uk said, the basic gist I've heard in multiple places is that they're trying to make SeaWorld Orlando (and the other SeaWorlds) more of a "Busch Gardens of the sea" type coaster park with marine animals occasionally scattered around as opposed to solely a park focused on big cetaceans and marine animals with 1 or 2 rides. I personally think that this is a fair stance to go for, as the park's cetaceans are probably hindering its reputation rather than helping it these days, and Orlando lacks a coaster park of this type. I've heard some complain about a lack of variety in terms of attractions at the SeaWorld parks, but I'd say they'll have a decent variety of rides once these investments have been opened. As much as the key investment focus seems to be on coasters, the park will still have 2 dark rides and 2 water rides, as well as a wide variety of children's flat rides and shows. Also, I'd say that fans of non-coasters are pretty well catered for at all of the other Orlando parks, whereas coaster fans aren't catered to quite as much at the likes of Disney and Universal.

I must admit, SeaWorld's level of major investment seems pretty out of the ordinary when most other theme park companies are trying to cut back on major CAPEX!

I think you need to replace “most other theme park companies” with “Merlin”
It's not only Merlin, and it wasn't actually Merlin I was referring to; Six Flags have cut back in recent years following their bankruptcy, and Cedar Fair recently announced that they will only be doing major investments when they are absolutely necessary or something along those lines.
Eh? The likes of Disney, Universal and Europa Park are making huge investments!
Very true, but I think those are almost in a different league entirely (Disney and Universal definitely are, and I'd almost say that Europa Park is getting to that level). Maybe I should rephrase my statement to "most regional theme park companies", like your Six Flags and Cedar Fair.

It's not only Merlin, and it wasn't actually Merlin I was referring to; Six Flags have cut back in recent years following their bankruptcy, and Cedar Fair recently announced that they will only be doing major investments when they are absolutely necessary or something along those lines.

Very true, but I think those are almost in a different league entirely (Disney and Universal definitely are, and I'd almost say that Europa Park is getting to that level). Maybe I should rephrase my statement to "most regional theme park companies", like your Six Flags and Cedar Fair.

Cedar fair mentioned on a recent performance update the level of in park cape will increase in 2022 and onwards from there. Currently they are investing a large amount of capex in accomadation, mainly on full resort refurbs, these will be full completed in 2021 and the large amount of capex this is costing per year will then be used for additional in park capex on new attractions for 2022 onwards

Cedar fair mentioned on a recent performance update the level of in park cape will increase in 2022 and onwards from there. Currently they are investing a large amount of capex in accomadation, mainly on full resort refurbs, these will be full completed in 2021 and the large amount of capex this is costing per year will then be used for additional in park capex on new attractions for 2022 onwards
Ah, I never knew that!

Sea World (and by extension Busch) do have some of the best looking coaster trains! It's a bit of a non-descript one this time but even so looks great.

With the current coronavirus situation like it is, it would seem that SeaWorld Orlando has now started cleaning ride seats after every cycle to prevent the spread of the virus:

As much as it might have a minor impact on throughputs, a measure like this is probably a risk worth taking if the park wants to stay open.